The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Summerdays
i GOT A*BBBCE in Maths, Bio, Chem, Further, Phys and Additional further.

I am really not happy :frown:

OMG I've just come back from a prolonged period wandering around Manchester and only now come to find out what a lot of people have got.

I have to say that I really didn't expect to bump into you on this thread.
But I too have had worse-than-expected results, including a U in S4, E in M4, D in FP3 and 111/150 in physics.

It's tempting to ask for like everything to be remarked, but I think I'm going to just ask for photocopies of some of my papers to keep, so that I can look back on the whole experience in years' time and think to myself, ahhh *nostalgia*
Reply 581
Niecey
I got ADDE...
I tell people the same thing you do when they ask me what I got...
I just say 'I passed all of my AS's but I could have dun better'...
And hopefully they don't ask me what my grades wer...
Lol...
I'm retaking the year anyway because I know that I can do way better than that, and I refuse to settle with those grades...

Good Luck with your A Level's anyway...

Go on to A2 and do January re-takes. Many people on here did that and went up. Do you hate your subjects your doing because i think with work you can go up, especially when you will be picking up new skills along A2, which will help you with your re-sits.
Reply 582
sammyvine
Go on to A2 and do January re-takes. Many people on here did that and went up. Do you hate your subjects your doing because i think with work you can go up, especially when you will be picking up new skills along A2, which will help you with your re-sits.

I do think that if I do go on2 A2 there is a good chance that I will improve my results but I don't want to take the chance...
I know that if I do reatke the year I could get really good AS's which I will be happier with...
And ever since I recieved my GCSE results last year I've always wished that i could go back and retake year 11 so that I could improve my results because I know that I could have done better, so now that I am in this situation (which is I am not happy with my AS results and I think that I can do better), I think that I am going to do what I wish I could do with my GCSE's and start the year again and get grades that I will be happy to move on2 A2 with...
It was a hard decision but for some reason I think it's the right one...
Thanks for your concern and advice thou, it's much appreciated...

P.S - YOu can quote me again if you want to...Lol
Reply 583
Niecey
I do think that if I do go on2 A2 there is a good chance that I will improve my results but I don't want to take the chance...
I know that if I do reatke the year I could get really good AS's which I will be happier with...
And ever since I recieved my GCSE results last year I've always wished that i could go back and retake year 11 so that I could improve my results because I know that I could have done better, so now that I am in this situation (which is I am not happy with my AS results and I think that I can do better), I think that I am going to do what I wish I could do with my GCSE's and start the year again and get grades that I will be happy to move on2 A2 with...
It was a hard decision but for some reason I think it's the right one...
Thanks for your concern and advice thou, it's much appreciated...

P.S - YOu can quote me again if you want to...Lol

Yeah no worries. I was thinking about redoing the year because i got C D D, then i thought about it realistically, that i like the subjects im doing so if i were to re-do the year, i know myself and i will be bored as hell learning things that i have learnt before etc....so i'm just going to work hard (something i didnt do at all last year tbh) and do some retakes in jan/june.

Re-doing the year may be best for you though. It seems you have your mind set on it.
Reply 584
sammyvine
Yeah no worries. I was thinking about redoing the year because i got C D D, then i thought about it realistically, that i like the subjects im doing so if i were to re-do the year, i know myself and i will be bored as hell learning things that i have learnt before etc....so i'm just going to work hard (something i didnt do at all last year tbh) and do some retakes in jan/june.

Re-doing the year may be best for you though. It seems you have your mind set on it.

When I recieved my AS results the first thing I thought about was continuing on2 A2 and working really hard on my A2's whilst revising for my retakes, and then I thought about the chance of me completing my A2's and still ending up with poor results...
Which in my case would mean staying on an extra year after I had completed my A2's to retake any of my exams that I did poor in...

I think that re-takes in jan/june R good but I'm not sure that I wouldn't like the fact of having to keep up with the A2 work whilst trying to work on getting good grades for my AS's...

And I also think that retaking the year would make me concertrate more because I will have less of my friends around and I will be more determind the second time round...

Lol...
Reply 585
Niecey
When I recieved my AS results the first thing I thought about was continuing on2 A2 and working really hard on my A2's whilst revising for my retakes, and then I thought about the chance of me completing my A2's and still ending up with poor results...
Which in my case would mean staying on an extra year after I had completed my A2's to retake any of my exams that I did poor in...

I think that re-takes in jan/june R good but I'm not sure that I wouldn't like the fact of having to keep up with the A2 work whilst trying to work on getting good grades for my AS's...

And I also think that retaking the year would make me concertrate more because I will have less of my friends around and I will be more determind the second time round...

Lol...

Yeah i get what you mean. I think like i said before, this may be the best for you! Are you going to do new subjects?

I'm not going to re-do the year though, i think with hard work i can get my as units from c's/d's to b's and a's.
Reply 586
sammyvine
Yeah i get what you mean. I think like i said before, this may be the best for you! Are you going to do new subjects?

I'm not going to re-do the year though, i think with hard work i can get my as units from c's/d's to b's and a's.

I'm doing all of the same subjects again...
Lol...
I enjoyed them thou, but I think I could have concertrated more...
My plan is to get my D's and E's up to A's and B's, it's gonna B hard either way, whether I re-take the exams or re-take the year, because of the big gap between a E and an A...
I think that is the reason Y I'm going to retake the whole year because of the size of the gap between what I actually got and what I wanted(what I still want)...
I think that you will be able to get your grades up to A's and B's aslong as you stay commit, and remember not to mess up your A2's because you are trying to improve your AS's...
Lol...
Good Luck with all of your exams...
Reply 587
sammyvine
He went to Edinburgh, he was advised by his teacher to apply for a good uni in scotland because they are sometimes less harder to get into (if your lucky) as many people want to go to the London uni's and ones closer to home.

It all worked out in the end though!

ahh rite i see.. well i am deciding on to retaking in Jan which means my revision will need to be starting ASAP!!! :frown:
ahhh the worst thing tht made me depressed was tht i retook 2 of my modules and still got the same grades :eek:
Reply 588
lazytomato
lol..sorry..and thanks~!!

woo, that's amazing, keep the hard work and soon you'll be a medic before you have realised XD

ps, consider apply to George's? XD

I'll definitely consider it as it's near to where I live!
Reply 589
I got CCDE, in Physics, Biology, Maths and Chemistry.

Will be resitting the year.
Reply 590
Niecey
I'm doing all of the same subjects again...
Lol...
I enjoyed them thou, but I think I could have concertrated more...
My plan is to get my D's and E's up to A's and B's, it's gonna B hard either way, whether I re-take the exams or re-take the year, because of the big gap between a E and an A...
I think that is the reason Y I'm going to retake the whole year because of the size of the gap between what I actually got and what I wanted(what I still want)...
I think that you will be able to get your grades up to A's and B's aslong as you stay commit, and remember not to mess up your A2's because you are trying to improve your AS's...
Lol...
Good Luck with all of your exams...

Much the same! Discuss with your teacher as well. They may be able to advise you on what they think is best. Sometimes that can really open doors. I'm going to do that when i have my A2 interview during the 1st week of sept.

Re-taking the year like ive said may be the best option, but you may be able to get good grades if u retake in june/january as well.
Reply 591
Hello Everyone

I was listerally in tears after recieving my AS results.
Chemistry coursework: A
Overall: U

Biology coursework: A
Psychology: E for 1 unit

I am absolutely disgusted after looking at my grades. I have a good grade history for GCSE's (mixture of A* - C's) but I dont understand how i ended up with these grades. I mean I almost knew everything before going into the exam rooms and I thought I had done quite well at the exams; as I was at least expecting an A and B's but when I got my results I felt like I'm a patient of COME lol.

And now im really scared if the teachers are going to allow me to carry on with my subjects for A2's because you need at least an E to carry on. They might ask me to resit the whole year but, I cannot do that either as I would like to do medicine and non of the universities are going to accept me retaking a year unless there have been extenauting circumstances...

However my school is quite flexible and non of the teachers will accept the fact that these grades reflect my ability. I mean they all believe that i have the potential to do medicine and I have always had a very possitive attitude towards my studies. I mean almost after every lesson I'm there with my teachers having 121 discussion about studies and asking them for exam papers etc... So basically they are rather sweet to me and believe that i'm exceptionally a hard working student and the teachers did say that just because you end up with a U, dont assume you cannot carry on, do come and speak to us!

So my question is that does any1 thing that by talking to them and begging them to allow me to carry onto A2 help? i mean I can argue that I achieved grade A's at my practical assessements which reflects that I am able enough to carry on with the subjects.... I can also take a written letter from my parents as a request for them to allow me to carry on with A2s on the enrolement day.

can somebody please advice me, I feel really ashamed of my self but i really dont know how it all happened and truelly I really did revise, may be it wasn't the suitable way of revising. But if they give me the chance then i can prove them that i can get all A's/A*'s for A2's with certainty..but for now i just feel soooo ashamed of my self and I feel as though my life is over!!!

I hope the school understands my situation and if they don't my parents will get me to change colleges or even move to another country...so im just really stressed!:frown: :confused:

sorry for this long essay guys
i would really appreciate for all ur advices.

Thank U :smile:
I think you should try and get your papers remarked because they could have made a mistake.
Reply 593
Lissi-Jayne
I think you should try and get your papers remarked because they could have made a mistake.

Yes I sure will but i just hope the school understands and allows me to carry on with A2's. Some of my other friends have also said the same thing as you.

Anyways thank u for ur advice!!!!
Was anyone else expecting "BBBB"?
Reply 595
Hello Everyone

I was listerally in tears after recieving my AS results.
Chemistry coursework: A

Biology coursework: A
Psychology: E for 1 unit

I am absolutely disgusted after looking at my grades. I have a good grade history for GCSE's (mixture of A* - C's) but I dont understand how i ended up with these grades. I mean I almost knew everything before going into the exam rooms and I thought I had done quite well at the exams; as I was at least expecting an A and B's but when I got my results I felt like I'm a patient of COME lol.

And now im really scared if the teachers are going to allow me to carry on with my subjects for A2's because you need at least an E to carry on. They might ask me to resit the whole year but, I cannot do that either as I would like to do medicine and non of the universities are going to accept me retaking a year unless there have been extenauting circumstances...

However my school is quite flexible and non of the teachers will accept the fact that these grades reflect my ability. I mean they all believe that i have the potential to do medicine and I have always had a very possitive attitude towards my studies. I mean almost after every lesson I'm there with my teachers having 121 discussion about studies and asking them for exam papers etc... So basically they are rather sweet to me and believe that i'm exceptionally a hard working student and the teachers did say that just because you end up with a U, dont assume you cannot carry on, do come and speak to us!

So my question is that does any1 thing that by talking to them and begging them to allow me to carry onto A2 help? i mean I can argue that I achieved grade A's at my practical assessements which reflects that I am able enough to carry on with the subjects.... I can also take a written letter from my parents as a request for them to allow me to carry on with A2s on the enrolement day.

can somebody please advice me, I feel really ashamed of my self but i really dont know how it all happened and truelly I really did revise, may be it wasn't the suitable way of revising. But if they give me the chance then i can prove them that i can get all A's/A*'s for A2's with certainty..but for now i just feel soooo ashamed of my self and I feel as though my life is over!!!

I hope the school understands my situation and if they don't my parents will get me to change colleges or even move to another country...so im just really stressed!:frown: :confused:

sorry for this long essay guys
i would really appreciate for all ur advices.

Thank U :smile:
Reply 596
Just beg to be allowed to get into A2 for the three subjects that you want to continue with (btw do you not have 4 AS levels?). That is all that you can do; make it clear that you didn't work quite hard enough all year and didn't revise well or effectively and had bad days in all exams. This shows that you clearly didn't reach your potential and may convince your teachers to allow you to enter A2.

Then you're up against it; you need to resit virtually every unit in january and then take the A2 units in june. I would apply this year for medicine and ask your sixth form to not cash in your grades so you can apply hopefully with pending for every unit and AAA predictions. Anyway, you'll need to work very hard, start now with revising AS and just go all out for it as you need to get up to AAA standard for medicine.

I doubt that getting a remark will help much; how likely is it that all the papers you sat were marked wrong? Not likely i reckon. Anyway, do you have module scores and did you get A's in those coursework modules cause if not (a lot of peoples drop grades) then you need to get them remarked to get A's.
Reply 597
orca92
Just beg to be allowed to get into A2 for the three subjects that you want to continue with (btw do you not have 4 AS levels?). That is all that you can do; make it clear that you didn't work quite hard enough all year and didn't revise well or effectively and had bad days in all exams. This shows that you clearly didn't reach your potential and may convince your teachers to allow you to enter A2.

Then you're up against it; you need to resit virtually every unit in january and then take the A2 units in june. I would apply this year for medicine and ask your sixth form to not cash in your grades so you can apply hopefully with pending for every unit and AAA predictions. Anyway, you'll need to work very hard, start now with revising AS and just go all out for it as you need to get up to AAA standard for medicine.

I doubt that getting a remark will help much; how likely is it that all the papers you sat were marked wrong? Not likely i reckon. Anyway, do you have module scores and did you get A's in those coursework modules cause if not (a lot of peoples drop grades) then you need to get them remarked to get A's.

Ok thank u ever sooooo much for ur advice that really did make me feel better... Yes I am doing English Literature as my forth AS this year because it was clashing with my time table last year. And also I got all A's for my course work in Chem and Bio but, it was just the exams, I really dont understand what happened????:s-smilie:

Thank u!!!!:smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 598
Sophi1431
Ok thank u ever sooooo much for ur advice that really did make me feel better... Yes I am doing English Literature as my forth AS this year because it was clashing with my time table last year. And also I got all A's for my course work in Chem and Bio but, it was just the exams, I really dont understand what happened????:s-smilie:

Thank u!!!!:smile: :smile: :smile:

So you're doing 3 A2s and 1 AS next year after 3 AS's this year; that's going to be a lot larger workload.

Out of interest how do you revise chemistry and biology? i can't help with the others but i took these two the last two years.
Reply 599
orca92
So you're doing 3 A2s and 1 AS next year after 3 AS's this year; that's going to be a lot larger workload.

Out of interest how do you revise chemistry and biology? i can't help with the others but i took these two the last two years.

I'm actually well prepared for the AS resits this year. Ive been doing alot of revision during the summer holidays. Well b4 for bio and chem I just used to make notes and notes but now I realised my weakest points were the exam techniques. So now im just going through the CGP and the text books provided by the school, followed on by practice exam questions.

Honestly after looking at your reply, I feel alot better

thank u!!!!!!!!!!

Latest