The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Okay, so this year, I recieved my A2 results and they are terrible. 2DD's and an E.

My question to you is, can I retake my grades, and end up getting a higher grade? (A/B). Is this possible? and has anyone ever been in my situation and ended up getting better grades?

My second year at college was terrible. I didn't study as much for my June exams due to personal/family problems (depression, cousin being suicidal etc etc) and I think that was what pulled my grades down

Thanks for any help.
Reply 721
Got my AS results on the 19th and got CCDD in Bio, Chem, Maths and Psychology..

I had a discussion with my parents and teachers about it and am now redoing year 12 (AS LEVEL).. my teachers and parents thought it was the best option since i was a year ahead of my age group anyway..

now that i have started redoing the whole year, im feeling stupid and dumb :frown:

i know i am being silly but pls advice me onto how do i get to stop myself making feel stupid :frown:
Argh, so this year my grades were not as I expected.
I got B and a D for my AS Music and Physics respectively. And a C overall for A2 Maths as I took it in a year because of F. Maths.

Because of these results, I've now dropped F. Maths and am retaking the A2 Maths because that was what brought my grade right down to a C. I'm hoping to get an A/B overall, this I am confident in because I'll be taking my time instead of cramming loads of exams in one sitting.

Music I was only a few marks off an A, so I don't think I need to worry too much about it so long as I work hard in A2.

However I really don't know what to do about Physics. I mean, I got a D in January and so I resat it... Only to get a D again :/
I want to get into Acoustics which needs Maths, Physics and Music in at least BBB. Shall I just push on with Physics or shall I consider a different career plan?
There are universities that will accept BBC but I'd rather get into a higher one.

Because I've dropped F. Maths I'm now taking AS Art and am aiming for an A in it because it's always been my strong point. I just didn't take it last year because I was dead set on a Maths degree back then, then half way through the year I changed my mind and really regretted not taking up Art so here I am now.

So I'm torn between continuing on with Acoustics or perhaps following a more artistic route. I mean, I've always had the idea that following an Art route is a bit of a hit and miss, whereas I do love Science and Maths all the same and it was more guaranteed a job out of it hence why I want to go into it. But having a low Physics grade is really putting down my confidence.

Any advice out there?
itsmyname
Can someone help me decide which modules to resit, by working out this UMS malarky?

Im A2, grades were CCE and im trying to push my grades to BBD by resitting a few module exams. Each subject had around 20 ums marks from the next grade, how many raw marks is that?

Reply 724
guys i did my AS this year and got the grades ACC for the bio physics and chem respectively. Provided i get a predicted AAA for A2 and actually get those results will i be able to get a place in a top uni? im kinda lost as to whether i should repeat my AS while im doing my A2 or whether getting AAA for A2 along with the ACC i got for AS will be enough. thanks
Reply 725
btw i want to get into medical school
Reply 726
carlylwright
If it makes you feel better I got 3 Cs last year. Just make sure if you haven't got what you wanted, to sign up for resits. Also, when putting down predicted grades, it is possible to convince your school to higher them if you believe you can do better.

That's what I did, and I still got plenty of offers and have now got a confirmed place.

Basically, don't give up hope yet!

I got a U and E for my As Econs, my teachers said I could be much much better because last year i was suffering from a sickness so i couldnt do that well. Would university still give me offer ? would they look at my as grades and judge me and nbot giving me anything?
sil.cen
I got a U and E for my As Econs, my teachers said I could be much much better because last year i was suffering from a sickness so i couldnt do that well. Would university still give me offer ? would they look at my as grades and judge me and nbot giving me anything?

You could definitely still get offers.
Obviously not from Cambridge etc because they don't accept retakes.
But Universities take into account outstanding circumstances like you being ill, and they also pay close attention to your reference - which will come from your teacher - so they will be able to say how much better you are capable of.

Don't give up before you have started!
Reply 728
carlylwright
You could definitely still get offers.
Obviously not from Cambridge etc because they don't accept retakes.
But Universities take into account outstanding circumstances like you being ill, and they also pay close attention to your reference - which will come from your teacher - so they will be able to say how much better you are capable of.

Don't give up before you have started!

Would they look at my As Grades ? My friends last year got a U in chemistry and now she is in UCL - Economics & stats. Unfortunately, I got a U&E in Econs so thats quite bad. My sisters/personal tutor said they wouldn't look at it until August. I'm an international student and my IELTS is 8.5/9 . I hope that would blur them away from my AS grade until it's ready for them in August. I was absent for nearly 2 months and manage to get a B for my Chemistry . Are you sure Cambridge would accept retake for some subjects? HOw do universities know I was ill?

Thanks !
sil.cen
Would they look at my As Grades ? My friends last year got a U in chemistry and now she is in UCL - Economics & stats. Unfortunately, I got a U&E in Econs so thats quite bad. My sisters/personal tutor said they wouldn't look at it until August. I'm an international student and my IELTS is 8.5/9 . I hope that would blur them away from my AS grade until it's ready for them in August. I was absent for nearly 2 months and manage to get a B for my Chemistry . Are you sure Cambridge would accept retake for some subjects? HOw do universities know I was ill?

Thanks !

Im not particularly sure how it works for international students, so I cant really help. Sorry about that.

However, regards to resits, University websites will say whether they accept them or not, and a lot are getting more stricter on this rule, so you would need to look at the universities website to know their rule on them.

Universities will now you were ill from your reference, and if you have enough room, you could mention how were ill but still managed to get a B, because this will still reflect well on you and how you work.

Good luck with your application!

Latest