The Student Room Group

The Road to 160lbs (Currently 181.8 - Over HALFWAY there!)

I'm going to be using this thread to try and keep track of my weight loss. It would be helpful if I got tips from you guys whilst I'm doing it. I'll try to update it on a weekly basis.

Background:
Male
Height: roughly 6ft
Starting Weight 210 lbs (1st August 2010)
Current Weight 172.8 lbs (7th June 2011)
Short Term Goal 169 lbs (end of June 2011)

Ideal weight 160 lbs (by September 2011)

As part of my lifestyle change (not diet) I've been drinking lots of water. I've held on to bottles that I usually chuck, so that I can refill them and keep them in my room. That way, I drink water when I'm using the computer, without even realising.

I've also been having bran flakes for breakfast with semi-skimmed milk. It's a lot tastier than I imagined. It's actually quite moreish and it takes a while to finish a bowl so you don't overeat. (Sainsbury's are selling 500g packs for 92p if anyone is interested).

I also invested in a Foreman grill off Amazon. It was pretty cheap and I've found it really easy to quickly cook vegetables, meat, poultry and fish. I have made a couple of paninis on it as well. I was really amazed by the amount of fat that came out of the minced lamb burgers that I made.

For lunch and dinners I've been having grilled chicken breast with potatoes and green vegetables. For variety I've had tuna melts (With only a little mozzarella cheese) or grilled salmon. I've also had some rice and lamb to avoid getting bored. I've reduced the amount of ketchup I use and have almost cut out mayonnaise.

A lot of diets that I've seen have said to eat small meals regularly (6 times a day) rather than three meals like I am. However, having tried that in the past, i've found it's more of a diet than a lifestyle change and leads to yoyo weight loss. I've decided to stick to three meals but control my portions and not eat ing until I'm stuffed, but rather satisfied. I've also avoided depriving myself completely of sweets but again avoid going overboard and tried eating fruits instead. I've also found that dates and Asda's low fat/cal/sugar strawberry yoghurts are are excellent substitutes for crisps and chocolates. The other thing i've done is cut out soft drinks. I've been having maybe one or two glasses of coca cola a week, but the rest of my liquids come from milk and water.

So far the weightloss is going well and the motivation is high. I've lost a stone in 6 weeks (averaging about 2lbs a week, after an initial jump start) and I'm feeling healthy. I think if I hit about 180lbs I'll no longer be overweight, per se.

Looking for a bit of support, guys!

PS. I have been excercising as well, but not sorted out a routine yet. I've been running here and there as well as playing football and tennis whenever I can.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:smile::smile: Aww good luck! Congrats on the weight you have already lost :smile:

I'm trying to loose 1st 7pounds by christmas :P Iv'e lost 56 pounds in the last year and a half.

I like that you are trying to change your lifestyle rather than just dieting. Dieting really doesn't work in the long term! What your eating looks good to me :smile: Oh and if you really crave chocolate, Kelogs Fibre plus bars are amazing. At like half the calories of a normal chocolate bar its so gooooood!

Ooo and you could try switching to diet soft drinks. Personally i don't like the taste of diet coke or pepsi but Pepsi Max tastes just as nice as Full fat pepsi!

Good luck!!! <3

p.s. Im tempted to get a forman grill now -.-
Reply 2
Serotonin_<3
:smile::smile: Aww good luck! Congrats on the weight you have already lost :smile:

I'm trying to loose 1st 7pounds by christmas :P Iv'e lost 56 pounds in the last year and a half.

Congrats and good luck on future weight loss.

I like that you are trying to change your lifestyle rather than just dieting. Dieting really doesn't work in the long term! What your eating looks good to me :smile:
the good thing is that I think this is something that I can keep up, because I'm not going around feeling constantly hungry/thinking about food.

Oh and if you really crave chocolate, Kelogs Fibre plus bars are amazing. At like half the calories of a normal chocolate bar its so gooooood!

I'm not craving chocolate too much at the moment (although I had a couple of cocunut bars from Asda - like Bounty but tastier and not too bad for you)

Ooo and you could try switching to diet soft drinks. Personally i don't like the taste of diet coke or pepsi but Pepsi Max tastes just as nice as Full fat pepsi!
I hate diet coke but I'll look into pepsi max because I've always liked Pepsi.

Prices range from around £20-£50 on Amazon and most reviews are glowing. I have a big family and I bought a small foreman grill (4 portions, at a squeeze) which is a problem because after my family taste the food, they all want some!:rolleyes:
Reply 3
Well done so far! The best advice I can give you is to start lifting weights too. I went from 98kg to now being 73ishkg, but as you lose weight you'll look skinny-fat so should look at getting some lean mass.
Reply 4
160lbs at 6ft?
SamLowry

You know at 6 foot and 160 pounds you're gonna be pretty damn skinny, right? Why not aim for something like 180, you won't be fat and you won't be a rake either.
Reply 6
Personally, I don't think I will look too skinny at 160. However, I've chosen a target that is quite hard, so that even if I don't reach it, I should be in quite good shape. I'm naturally quite big, so unless I starve myself I doubt I will look like a rake. I have muscular arms and legs due to the sports I play but I'm carrying a gut do to poor diet. I wanna slim down first, losing as much belly fat as possible, and then I might think about bulking up (a little) with muscle.

But anyways the weight is just an arbitary figure. I mainly want to fit into size 30/32 inch jeans again. I really ballooned up in the last few years due to a few personal problems.
Reply 7
Im 5ft 11 and 185lbs and dont look big in the slightest. At 160lbs you WILL be skinny
Reply 8
Keep it up buddy, doing well so far :smile:

160 lbs is fine at your height if you got low muscle mass.
Reply 9
Witchita
Im 5ft 11 and 185lbs and dont look big in the slightest. At 160lbs you WILL be skinny

Depends how lean you are someone can be 168lbs (12stone) at around 5'10 and bench 120kg and look massive.
Serotonin_<3

I like that you are trying to change your lifestyle rather than just dieting. Dieting really doesn't work in the long term! What your eating looks good to me :smile: Oh and if you really crave chocolate, Kelogs Fibre plus bars are amazing. At like half the calories of a normal chocolate bar its so gooooood!

Good luck!!! <3

56 pounds?!?! That's 4 stone.
Well done OP, you're doing very well. :smile: I started off and managed to lose around a stone in a month, but then really started to struggle. I think it's good that you have intermediate targets and a fairly realistic goal, and it's also good you're making it a change of lifestyle instead of just dieting like a lot of people do. :smile: Really wish you lots of luck!

Serotonin_<3

How have you lost 4 stone in a year and a half?! That's so amazing! :smile: What are you aiming for overall? I'm SO struggling with it! It's taken me over a year to lose 2 stone. :frown: Well, technically, a stone in a month, and then the second stone in around 4 months. It's really hard to lose anymore, I'm still stuck at 2 stone.. Overall I want to lose another 2, maybe 3 stone. A stone by christmas, since it's 14 weeks away and a pound a week is usually achievable (though I've put on a pound since last week.. grr.. :frown:)

I'm just really struggling with motivation I guess. I LOVE riding my bike and going swimming but it's just effort forcing myself out of the house, and no one is there to make me do it, it's just me at home from 8am til 6pm every day. Any tips? I should go ride my bike now but meh.. :frown:

I'm also getting fedup that I'm not noticing a difference. It seems that the only place I have lost it is my chest and nowhere else, not even my arms or my thighs or my tummy or anything, which is so disheartening at times, and I kind of feel like, why do I bother? :frown:
Reply 12
Depends how lean you are someone can be 168lbs (12stone) at around 5'10 and bench 120kg and look massive.

Nah, you wont look massive unless your 200+
siani-chan

How have you lost 4 stone in a year and a half?! That's so amazing! :smile: What are you aiming for overall? I'm SO struggling with it! It's taken me over a year to lose 2 stone. :frown: Well, technically, a stone in a month, and then the second stone in around 4 months. It's really hard to lose anymore, I'm still stuck at 2 stone.. Overall I want to lose another 2, maybe 3 stone. A stone by christmas, since it's 14 weeks away and a pound a week is usually achievable (though I've put on a pound since last week.. grr.. :frown:)

I'm just really struggling with motivation I guess. I LOVE riding my bike and going swimming but it's just effort forcing myself out of the house, and no one is there to make me do it, it's just me at home from 8am til 6pm every day. Any tips? I should go ride my bike now but meh.. :frown:

I'm also getting fedup that I'm not noticing a difference. It seems that the only place I have lost it is my chest and nowhere else, not even my arms or my thighs or my tummy or anything, which is so disheartening at times, and I kind of feel like, why do I bother? :frown:

Hello :smile: Yea. Weighed myself this morning and i have lost another 2 pounds since last week *lil dance*. I am aiming to loose another 20 pounds by christmas. Once i reach that target i will try for an extra 14 pounds which would put me well into my healthy range on the BMI Scale. If i manage to loose 34 pounds (2 1/2 stone) i think i would quiet happily stay that weight forever...But i am unsure if i could reach this relistically. My sister weights 25 pounds less than me and looks stunning! We are very similar in shape and height. So if i loose 20 pounds i should look nice :smile::smile::smile: If i'm happy then i will maintain that weight and try to get more toned :smile:

Hmm...I lost the first 14 pounds when i was depressed. My Nan died and i really just stopped eating propery for a while i was so upset. When i was coping better i relised how much better i looked with the weight off so set myself goals and stuck to eating healthy. I swim a few times a week as well. I think i have the healtiest diet of anyone i know now :smile: I've helped my mum and brother loose weight by converting them to brown bread/pasta and half fat butter. Simple stuff like tht. And i really works. I'm never hungry anymore and i feel so much happier with myself!

Hmmm, Yea it can be hard to loose weight. I think when you are closer to your target it is harder to loose weight. When i first started my new diet i shed the pounds easy but now it is alot slower. Sometimes you reach plateus (or however you spell them) where you just cant seem to loose weight. I find if im not loosing or loosing really slowly I just eat sensibly for about a month. I might put on 2-3 pounds in that month but when i start eating Really strictly again i loose weight faster again. Then repeat the process if that makes sence!

Exercise tips...hmmm. I actually brought myself some dance dvds. Like the work out ones. They are actually quite fun. The ones i have last for 10 min sessions and are so knakering! I'm the most uncoordinated person alive so i look like a looney jumping around but your in your own house so it really doesnt matter! :smile::smile: Its fun!

Awww i know how it feels to loose motivation but you should keep up with it. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day and eat a load of crap. Just get back eating right the next day! A couple weeks ago i scoffed my face with a 5 course meal with my boyfreind. I really didnt want to stand up after i finished i was full! But for the rest of the week i was good and still lost 1/2 pound! better than nothing :smile:

Id your worried your not loosing weight anywhere else i would say keep a measurement diary! I have one from when i was my biggest to now. I didn't think i was loosing it from my stomach until i checked my measurments from 3 months earlier and relised id lost 2 inches! Its hard to spot that just looking in a mirror cos your changing every day! :smile::smile: Other people will notice the diffrence!! Trust me! Spec people who havent seen you in a while! I recently ran into a boyfriend i was with when i was 4 stone heavier. I had on a corset on as well and i swear he almost fell of his barstool when he saw me :smile: people will notice :smile: dont worry <3

Tell me what kinda things you eat and maybe i can make some sugestions to help you get back on track? I'm good with low calories tasty snacks as well XD

Wow i talk alot heh? Hope that helps!! <3<3<3 Good luck!!!
coolmushroom
56 pounds?!?! That's 4 stone.

Thats the diffrence it made. 8+ inches of my waist :smile: Big gap eh! Sorry the pictures so big as well O.o The pants wear a size 20 and now i wear a size 14. My goal is to be a size 10 :smile:

EDIT: I've just relised that picture looks quiet rude -.- It's only intended to show the weight loss around my stomach and nothing else -.- No pervo comments please lol <3
(edited 13 years ago)
Serotonin_<3

Thats the diffrence it made. 8+ inches of my waist :smile: Big gap eh! Sorry the pictures so big as well O.o The pants wear a size 20 and now i wear a size 14. My goal is to be a size 10 :smile:

EDIT: I've just relised that picture looks quiet rude -.- It's only intended to show the weight loss around my stomach and nothing else -.- No pervo comments please lol <3

Wow it's a massive difference and I'm saying nothing about the picture :teehee: :p:
Reply 16
Witchita
Nah, you wont look massive unless your 200+

Well I know someone who is 12 stone and that height and he can bench that much and he doesn't look skinny.
Good Luck, mate!
Reply 18
Thanks for all the comments. They've been helpful in their own way.

Regarding the 160 being too low, or whatnot, I'm using my brother as a guage. He's about 5"7 and weighs 142lbs (and is super active) and doesn't look skinny nor massive. From that I reckon 160 should be good. But like I said, the weight is just an arbitrary figure that gives me something to aim for. My real goal is to fit into size 30(ish) jeans.

This week has been good, I think. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning and update this thread then.
Reply 19
UPDATE:

Current Weight: 193.6lbs
Total weight loss = 16.4lbs
Weight loss since start of September = 6.6lbs

So it's still on track. I'm looking to get to around 190lbs by the end of this month, which should be achievable.

Quick Reply

Latest