The Student Room Group

How to cope with bad flatmates?

I'm off university Friday and I have to say I'm worried most about getting a bad flatmate. I would hate it if people stole my food and were just generally inconsiderate.

Soo anyone have any stories to share and advice on coping with bad flatmates?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been lucky and have decent flatmates, but I was worried about the same thing as you!

You could always label your food with your name/initials...and if someone is really inconsiderate see if anyone else in your flat thinks so and then politely confront the inconsiderate person together?
Just label the food, people aren't intentionally nasty, food stealing occurs when the culprit is really peckish and hopes the missing food won't be noticed. Simply having a name on it is a massive deterrent.

But don't be a miser or get possessive over your food: if your name is on it, and you're known as a lovely, down to earth, nice person, they won't want to hurt you :smile: Just be optimistic and you'll probably have lovely housemates.
Reply 3
And if you gain nothing with some polite talk then you can begin to put hot tabasco sauce on the food that usually gets stolen.
Reply 4
Pepper_H
And if you gain nothing with some polite talk then you can begin to put hot tabasco sauce on the food that usually gets stolen.

*chuckles* I like the way you think.
Reply 5
You know, if you become good friends with your flatmates you will be able take each others things and both be cool about it. If you are not the type of person to share their food with their friends, then I guess they might consider you the type of person who is a bad flatmate.
Reply 6
So you haven't met them yet? They might be awesome and no food stealing :biggrin:
Reply 7
I had terrible flatmates last year. The took some really odd food as well- They managed to get through an entire bottle of my oil in about a month, used the rest of a half full bottle of soy sauce in one go, then put the empty bottle back in the cupboard :/ One of the girls in the flat was constantly having her bread taken... We could never pinpoint who it was, and they were the type of people who would just deny it and then continue stealing your stuff.

I'm locking my cupboards straight away next year...
Reply 8
edd360
You know, if you become good friends with your flatmates you will be able take each others things and both be cool about it. If you are not the type of person to share their food with their friends, then I guess they might consider you the type of person who is a bad flatmate.

I totally agree, but there's a difference between "being cool between friends" and "flatmate you barely know thinking your food is his". Sometimes people can be very rude and the only way to cope with it is to get some revenge :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Actually I'd consider irritating housemates to be very much part of the university experience. It's good for you to learn how to deal with people who are different from you. Good training for later on in life when you have to work professionally with people who drive you mad.
Pepper_H

Mmm.. Tabasco..

Oh, on the topic itself, if anybody steals your food or just does anything remotely douchey, you should probably beat them or feed them pubes, at the very least.

--EDIT:

Hi, if anybody on this forum is my future flatmate... I'm a lovely girl, quite perfect actually. I would never feed you pubes. I swear... .
(edited 13 years ago)
Labelling food sounds like a plan - I have similar issues, especially wanting to have people stay when I'm sharing a room. :ninja:
Bleach in the milk they are stealing.

Simply warn them you will stab them in the throat if you catch them putting your food in it.

If anyone uses your stuff use everyone elses.

Etc.
If they steal food, then firstly label it. If food still goes missing then keep as much as you can in your room, or confront them.
my advice is do not get friendly with them

treat them like they are your employees

they are not your friends they are enemies, they will leave black bags outside their door until maggots appear. i hate students passionately
Reply 15
Keep as much of your dry food in your room as possible, be wary of flatmates coming back from a drunken night out, they are always hungry so if youre sitll awake go innocently inspect the kitchen, label your food, try to hide your food at the back of the fridge, less likely to be seen, try to familiarise yourself with which flatmate owns what food, you would be surprised to see that other flatmates will walk in while youre making dinner and steal other peoples food in front of you, if they steal others food they are likely stealing yours. Have a quiet word with someone who is stealing food and if they dont stop then get a bottle of milk and put laxatives in it(make sure every other flatmate knows about this except the stealer, chances are they will be fed up of food going too and want some form of revenge).
Its likely food will get stolen, it happens to everyone but dont get angry and shout and suspect every flatmate, its a fast way to lose friends, dont leave little post it notes about either saying not to steal food or someone stole my bread and i want it back, those are annoying too.
ChunkymunkyDJC
If they steal food, then firstly label it. If food still goes missing then keep as much as you can in your room, or confront them.

your sig has inspired me, i will get such satisfaction from similar comments i found the perfect pic
Reply 17
edd360

I agree, but haven't met any of these people yet. It'd be fine if they ask me if they could borrow something if they've run out, but someone I don't know eating the things I bought with my own money in my cupboard without asking would get annoying.

I really wish I knew who I was sharing with, but we don't even know our flat or room number until we collect our keys! So hopefully there won't be excessive food stealing but its reassuring hearing some advice :biggrin:

I'm soooo bad at confrontation though, One of life's lessons I suppose..
Atrixa
They used the rest of a half full bottle of soy sauce in one go, then put the empty bottle back in the cupboard :/

Win!! :lol:
Reply 19
i feel you should take note from the book "i lick my cheese" which is basically a book of random flatmate notes - some nice and pleasant, some where they have annoying food stealing flatmates and others which are just angry people. the way that someone solved their food stealing probem was by leaving this note: whoever eats my cheese.... i lick it! ha ha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending