The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Think about me. I can be your sweet dream or your beautiful nightmare.
Oh you poor baby. I can protect you fair maiden :sexface:
Reply 22
Helpful :colonhash:
Reply 23
as people above have said, you should probably talk to someone about it.you could also try having a film or quiet music on when you get in bed to sleep (but pick a film youve seen a lot as itll be less likely to distract you than one youve not seen much). im similar in that if its too quiet when i try to sleep my brain starts to work and it wont shut off, but having music on or a film distracts my brain and allows me to sleep.i also used to listen to audiobooks as it was quite relaxing when i was trying to sleep.
Reply 24
Original post by vickie89
as people above have said, you should probably talk to someone about it.you could also try having a film or quiet music on when you get in bed to sleep (but pick a film youve seen a lot as itll be less likely to distract you than one youve not seen much). im similar in that if its too quiet when i try to sleep my brain starts to work and it wont shut off, but having music on or a film distracts my brain and allows me to sleep.i also used to listen to audiobooks as it was quite relaxing when i was trying to sleep.

Thank you :smile:
I went through a phase of this a while ago. I kept a book of children's stories by Ted Hughes by my bed. They were about the animals that God created. Simplistic and innocent, worked a treat.
Reply 26
Original post by common_person
I went through a phase of this a while ago. I kept a book of children's stories by Ted Hughes by my bed. They were about the animals that God created. Simplistic and innocent, worked a treat.

Thank you very much :smile:
Well I'll actually take this thread seriously as I know what you mean to certain extent.
I don't generally imagine ghosts/zombies because I have not watched any horror/scary films in about 3 years. I used to have a similar problem though.
I need to have some kind of noise, but not something that could distract me too much. I like to have the window open so I can hear traffic noise, and the curtains open a little so there's still some light in the room. I can't sleep well at all without that. I went to stay with a friend who lives in the country for a few days this summer. Night time was dead silent and pitch dark. I barely slept. :dry:
Anyway, my imagination generally just keeps going all night keeping me awake... I try that thing of writing things down before sleep, but writing just drives me to imagine even more lol.

Yeah I don't actually know how to get rid of this... sorry. Just trying to reassure you that you're not the only one and not crazy. Well, unless we're both crazy. :ahee:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
I sometimes get this. I'll just pop onto skype and get John Virgo to sing the Big Break theme tune to me, works a treat.
Reply 29
Hahaha my imagination died many years ago so i havent had this problem since i was a kid
Reply 30
Original post by Blueflare
Well I'll actually take this thread seriously as I know what you mean to certain extent.
I don't generally imagine ghosts/zombies because I have not watched any horror/scary films in about 3 years. I used to have a similar problem though.
I need to have some kind of noise, but not something that could distract me too much. I like to have the window open so I can hear traffic noise, and the curtains open a little so there's still some light in the room. I can't sleep well at all without that. I went to stay with a friend who lives in the country for a few days this summer. Night time was dead silent and pitch dark. I barely slept. :dry:
Anyway, my imagination generally just keeps going all night keeping me awake... I try that thing of writing things down before sleep, but writing just drives me to imagine even more lol.

Yeah I don't actually know how to get rid of this... sorry. Just trying to reassure you that you're not the only one and not crazy. Well, unless we're both crazy. :ahee:

Thank you :h:
Original post by Trigger
****, i'm actually mental aren't i?

ITE DER

ye you probably are but so am i and various other people in this thread :biggrin: (my response is almost halfway down the page if you're in the mood for some scrollin')

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26114048&highlight=

EDIT: i'm scared as i'm typing this lmao, hurrah!
It's not the monsters you should be worrying about but the aliens...
Reply 33
Original post by Trigger
Yeah you might be joking but i am considering this. It doesn't affect me in the day or when i have a light on or the tv or something. Its when i stay at my bfs house and there is nothing in his room to distract me that it becomes a problem.

:rofl: Poor guy...
Reply 34
Original post by MissFanatical
ITE DER

ye you probably are but so am i and various other people in this thread :biggrin: (my response is almost halfway down the page if you're in the mood for some scrollin')

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26114048&highlight=

EDIT: i'm scared as i'm typing this lmao, hurrah!

Jesus i go through the same stuff! But i don't check for things as im scared il find them :sad:
Reply 35
Original post by Mr Anononomous
It's not the monsters you should be worrying about but the aliens...

Yeah scared of them too. Also natural disaster.
Reply 36
Original post by Broderss
:rofl: Poor guy...

He is asleep by then :colonhash:
I'm the complete opposite. Any light whatsoever and I have to go and stop it/block it somehow.
Reply 38
Original post by Trigger
He is asleep by then :colonhash:

O'really? :sexface:
Reply 39
Original post by zjs
You could try something along the lines of occasionally flicking the light on when you're in the middle of imagining ghosts, zombies and the like. Once you take a good look round the room in the light, it'll help you remind yourself that they neither exist, nor are they in your room.

Another thing to do would be to read/watch something to distract your thoughts before you go to bed - something not involving anything lurking in the room, serial killers, ghosts or anything of that nature, but some form of light entertainment (comedy etc), so your mind's dwelling on that rather than what apparations could be in the room.

Alternately, try drinking something like NightNurse to get yourself to sleep quickly, thus avoiding the lying awake and imagining stage, until you move past it.

I did get sleeping pills in the past for my anxiety, i may get more..

Latest

Trending

Trending