The Student Room Group

Is psychology a 'soft' subject?

I am in the process of choosing my A Levels for next year and I really want to do psychology but I've heard that it's considered to be a 'soft' subject. Is it? My other subjects are History, Chemistry and Biology and I'm undecided what I want to do at Uni (most likely either Biology or Psychology).
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well regardless of if it is a 'soft' subject, if you want to do Bio or Psych at uni you should definitely pick Psychology as one of your A-levels.
Reply 2
I find it more of a struggle than History.

Or that's just me being massively retarded.
No. It isn't. People who say it is on here have never studied it and are under the assumption that's it's the same as sociology, which it most certainly is not.
Reply 4
Original post by Gemma :)!
No. It isn't. People who say it is on here have never studied it and are under the assumption that's it's the same as sociology, which it most certainly is not.

Universities beg to differ.
Reply 5
It's a pointless subject. Might be hard due to the amount of written work etc.
Reply 6
Never underestimate a subject. You can get in trouble. Psychology has its own difficult stuff, but overall it is considered to be easier then Biology.
Although I find it to be the opposite.
Reply 7
It isn't necessary when applying for a psychology degree (most universities will accept any combination of sciences/maths).
Reply 8
If you take the tables of the unis that actually publish soft & hard subjects then it is considered mid-range and above sociology.
Reply 9
I don't know how soft universities think it is, but it's not an easy subject. I guess it depends on the person but there are quite a lot of studies to learn etc, so I personally don't consider it to be 'soft'.
Reply 10
Original post by Captain92
It isn't necessary when applying for a psychology degree (most universities will accept any combination of sciences/maths).

Yes that's what I was thinking. The reason I want to do psychology is because I think it looks interesting, but I don't think you even need it at A Level to do it at degree level. If that's the case then it seems pointless to study it when you don't need it :s-smilie:.
Reply 11
Go away neg! :'(
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jordyn
Yes that's what I was thinking. The reason I want to do psychology is because I think it looks interesting, but I don't think you even need it at A Level to do it at degree level. If that's the case then it seems pointless to study it when you don't need it :s-smilie:.

It was pointless for me to study French without needing it for medicine, but I did it because I enjoy it. What if you end up doing biology at uni but wish you'd taken psychology at AS/A2 because it interests you?

It's not a very soft subject, but it's definitely not looked on as well as a "real" science I'm afraid. But does that matter to you in the end?
Original post by Liam 09
Well regardless of if it is a 'soft' subject, if you want to do Bio or Psych at uni you should definitely pick Psychology as one of your A-levels.

Psychology at A Level is in no way required for Biology at university. In fact, at many universities it isn't even a requirement to have Psych A Level to study Psychology at degree level.

Looking at purely Psychology at AS/A2 Level, it has nothing on the likes of Chemistry, Maths or Biology. Saying that, in combination with your other A Levels it would be a nice choice, but it is in no way necessary for Biology at degree level, or even for Psychology at some universities.
Original post by Xhotas
You've got 3 "Hard" Subjects and Psychology. You'd be fine.

But I recommend picking something else if you want to do psychology, no uni will accept you if you have an A Level in psychology.

:confused:

Why would no university accept you onto a psychology course with a psychology A-Level?
Original post by illusionz
Universities beg to differ.

Which ones exactly?
You see, so many people come on here making it seem like having A Level Psychology will stop you from getting into all universities, but in actual fact there are only a REALLY small number who have a problem with it at all.
Reply 16
Original post by Jordyn

Personally, I'm really interested in psychology, but I study it in my own time. If there are other A levels that you are interested in doing that are more likely to be important regarding university entry requirements etc, I'd say go for those.

I studied psychology for a term in year 12 before dropping it to focus on my other subjects because I realised I didn't want to do anything to do with psych at uni, and if I remember correctly a lot of the AS course was about attachment, and in A2 you get more into disorders/ mental illness.
Really interesting stuff, but also the sort of thing that you can read around in your own time and still get a full understanding of.

However, I don't think that people should be looked down on or presumed less intelligent just because they do psychology.
I took Government and Politics which a lot of people are snooty about but I loved it.
Just be careful to bear in mind both what you will enjoy when making your choices :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Jordyn
I am in the process of choosing my A Levels for next year and I really want to do psychology but I've heard that it's considered to be a 'soft' subject. Is it? My other subjects are History, Chemistry and Biology and I'm undecided what I want to do at Uni (most likely either Biology or Psychology).

You're soft if you think Psychology's soft! Psychology's a proper science, but unfortunately people do think otherwise because (well I don't really know why) maybe they just don't know what it actually is. But seriously, if you're considering it at uni, take it, if not, take it anyway, but first research it and make sure you'll enjoy it and work at it.
Reply 18
Original post by Retrospect
Psychology at A Level is in no way required for Biology at university. In fact, at many universities it isn't even a requirement to have Psych A Level to study Psychology at degree level.

Looking at purely Psychology at AS/A2 Level, it has nothing on the likes of Chemistry, Maths or Biology. Saying that, in combination with your other A Levels it would be a nice choice, but it is in no way necessary for Biology at degree level, or even for Psychology at some universities.

Fair point, I kind of meant if he was unsure about Psych and Bio that he should pick Psych A-level incase he decides he wants to do a purely Psychology degree.

Okay it isn't 100% necessary but doing psychology A-level must have some benefit in most universities eyes if you want to do a degree in it.
Reply 19
Psychology was actually one of the harder subjects for me this year (right behind physics). I think it was all of the memorizing, then learning all of the different parts of the brain, bleh. I'm happy know because I'm doing abnormal psych instead of general psych. But I think a lot of people have a preconceived notion that psych is just learning about disorders.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending