The Student Room Group

my gf said I should take her name if we get married

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just double-barrel it, that's the obvious and diplomatic solution.
if you want to be the woman in the relationship then go for it, next thing you know you will have sretchmarks from giving birth and feeling undervalued then the beatings begin and she starts smacking over the head with frying pans and high heels and what not then you end up then you get pregnant again and get fat then eat some cake because you are living megearly and food is the only thing that can console you don't say I didn't warn you :biggrin: my posting style is beyond generic and erratic right I think I drank too much tea and the caffeine made me hyper active :confused: then I had some water because I felt thirsty but I didn't go to the loo because my toilets broke so instead I went in the sink then my imaginary girlfriend shouted at me where am I :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Ha she's gonna make you her bi*ch.
You could just throw the letters of both your surnames into the mix and make up a totally new surname

But if you both like your respective surnames too much, then it's unreasonable for either person to put undue pressure on the other one to change it. My friend and her brother were double-barrelled until their parents told them they could choose whichever surname they preferred. The brother chose his dad's surname and my friend went with her mum's.
Reply 24
Wow, that's a whole new level of neutering :tongue:
Heh, I hope if you have kids with the double surname that their partners won't squabble over the same problem. Eventually you could end up with grandchildren that have 3 or 4 parts to the surname
Reply 26
Woman takes the mans name. It's been like that for hundreds of years. Show her who's boss. Deploy the pimp hand.

EDIT: One uptight feminist obviously failed to detect the sarcasm there. But on a serious note I've never heard a marriage taking the wifes surname, it doesn't work like that...

RE-EDIT: Make that 2 uptight feminists.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
:lovedup:I'd say right, that both of you adopt and Indian surname. For example, Billal or Khan.

That way you won't have anything to argue about because you can't way "Oh, I have to have your name now do I?" etc.

+ it would be hilarious
Bet she also ****s you with a strap on
Reply 29
Tell her to eff off..
I feel sorry for you if you marry this girl.
Reply 30
Original post by Daniel2010
Use both names with a hyphen in the middle. sorted :wink:

This exactly
Reply 31
Original post by Earl Nuce
I hope you told her where to go.

This.
Reply 32
Whatever you don't take her name, you'll be at the whim of friends and their jokes, don't do the salary thing either, because it could end up wrong and you have to her name, since it's your idea and the whole you can't argue later on, means she has you tied to it, but when ti comes to the time and she loses, you'll find she'll have a hissy fit using the excuse it was a stupid idea... bit of a lose-lose. Let her keep name or make sure she takes yours, if you do already have a double-barrel, you don't really want to make it triple, only problem if you stay the same name is, that in the future you will fight to name the children, and please don't ruin their life by giving them a triple barrel name, since if you can't compromise to have 1 name together, why would you compromise to have give your children a single name either
Reply 33
my boyfriend and i both have awkward double barrelled surnames. Potentially we could combine them and curse our children forever with quadruple barrelled surnames... :biggrin:

I'd only change my name when getting married if my fiancé's surname was cooler than mine.
Reply 34
Original post by Yawn11
This is what happens when women are let loose out of bounds of the kitchen and rest of household.

They get these silly ideas in their heads.

what the **** is the world coming to :frown:

L
M
F
A
O

I haven't laughed that hard in a while.
+1 :rofl:
Reply 35
Take her name and give her your balls while you're at it.
If I was you I would not give at all and just refuse to marry if she didn't take my name.
Reply 37
give us a poll and we will vote for u da 1 dat sounds da best :smile: sorteddd
Reply 38
Keep your own names and give girl sprogs her name and boy sprogs yours?

Although that does mean the next generation faces the same problem.
Hopefully you will be able to sort this out when you are mature enough to get married.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending