The Student Room Group

Negotiating an offer?

Basically, I've applied to UEA for V100 History, which the UEA website lists as AAB/ABB. They've given me an offer of AAB, which might be a bit of a stretch, and I was hoping for an ABB offer so I could put it as reserve and not have to go to Kent (no offence Kent!). Anyway, I'm going to a visit day and I was wondering what are my chances of lowering the offer if I negotiate with them?
Thanks
Reply 1
History is pretty competitive, and to be honest they may have given the majority of people the higher of the two set of grades as an offer.

Worth a go though I suppose, talk to admissions when you go?
Reply 2
I have heard of someone doing something similar (successfully) before but it doesnt mean it will work for you and saying "so you can be my insurance" isnt as good as "so you can be my firm"

However, they cant take the offer away from you so why not give it a shot? :tongue:
Reply 3
Thanks guy, looking around it seems that there's a mixture of AAB and ABB offers. I'll just hunt down the admissions guys and be dimplomatic and see what happens. Fingers crossed!
Reply 4
Maybe you should email first to test the waters? :tongue:
Original post by LFChrispy
Thanks guy, looking around it seems that there's a mixture of AAB and ABB offers. I'll just hunt down the admissions guys and be dimplomatic and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Before you do that reflect on this: (a) It demonstrates that you don't have much confidence in getting the grades required, which may not go down very well, and (b) univeristies are not interested in the least in getting candidates to make them their insurance offer - they only want to be the firm acceptance.
Negotiate!
LOL
unbelievable.
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
Before you do that reflect on this: (a) It demonstrates that you don't have much confidence in getting the grades required, which may not go down very well, and (b) univeristies are not interested in the least in getting candidates to make them their insurance offer - they only want to be the firm acceptance.

Yeah, good points, but (a) they can't take away offer, and I'll probably make up some bull**** lol, and (b) I won't make out that they're my insurance
Simples :smile:
Original post by LFChrispy
I won't make out that they're my insurance

You seem to have a low opinion of the intelligence and acuity of the academics who may be teaching you for the next three years. Are you sure you want to make that course your insurance?
Reply 9
I tried to do that with Warwick as I needed a back-up (all my offers were AAB).
They said that AAB was the standard offer and could not be lowered. But I know someone who successfully negotiated with Liverpool.

But yeah, they can't withdraw the offer, afaik, so might as well do it.
Hey guys, I have a slightly different situation.

I finished writing my final exams, I don't have my results yet. BUT I am assuming I will have one grade lower than expected (I need to have 766, but I might end up with 765; in IB grades). So, do you think it is possible to be accepted anyway? Maybe throughout the clearing? Or maybe it is possible to negotiate with them? Also, what is the best time to do it? Now, or afer I receive my grades?

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by hypocrite2016
Hey guys, I have a slightly different situation.

I finished writing my final exams, I don't have my results yet. BUT I am assuming I will have one grade lower than expected (I need to have 766, but I might end up with 765; in IB grades). So, do you think it is possible to be accepted anyway? Maybe throughout the clearing? Or maybe it is possible to negotiate with them? Also, what is the best time to do it? Now, or afer I receive my grades?

Thanks

This is a 2013 thread. Now closed.

Please create a separate thread for this question. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending