The Student Room Group

Should I tell my boss I’m searching for new jobs?

I wouldn’t normally think about this but my current notice period is 3 months. I’m thinking of leaving because a few of my colleagues treat my badly ( excluding my boss) and I’ve just become very unhappy there.

I want to let her know I’m looking around because I want to ask if there is the possibility of reducing my notice period because most of the jobs I’ve spoken about with recruitment agencies want someone after 1 month or thereabouts and 3 months is making me feel stuck in the job and can’t leave.

Obviously I want to retain a good relationship with my boss because I don’t want her stressed having to replace my role but I also don’t want to miss out in a good job opportunity.

Would I tell her that I’m looking before I’ve been offered a job or after? I don’t want to be snakey!
Reply 1
Conventional wisdom is to tell your boss nothing until you have another job other offer. Telling them you’re job hunting undermines your commitment which is bad form and may lead to some form of covert discrimination that you don’t need. I doubt you’re in any better position to negotiate a reduction in notice period before you resign. So I would only do this if you’re very confident of finding something new quickly and want the satisfaction of telling them how you’re feeling
(edited 3 months ago)
This is the wrong topic to post in, but no you never tell your boss you’re leaving until you’ve secured a new job otherwise they can use it to get rid of you.

And if you’ve signed a contract for a 3 month period before you leave, then that will not change. The only hope is they may put you in gardening leave but that means you won’t be able to legally start any job until that 3 months is up because you’re still employed by the company.

The only other option of to speak with your boss and make her aware that you are unhappy, and of there is anything that can be done. Then when you do need in your notice, at least you’ve raised your concerns and it won’t come as a shock move.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I wouldn’t normally think about this but my current notice period is 3 months. I’m thinking of leaving because a few of my colleagues treat my badly ( excluding my boss) and I’ve just become very unhappy there.

I want to let her know I’m looking around because I want to ask if there is the possibility of reducing my notice period because most of the jobs I’ve spoken about with recruitment agencies want someone after 1 month or thereabouts and 3 months is making me feel stuck in the job and can’t leave.

Obviously I want to retain a good relationship with my boss because I don’t want her stressed having to replace my role but I also don’t want to miss out in a good job opportunity.

Would I tell her that I’m looking before I’ve been offered a job or after? I don’t want to be snakey!

Don't tell your Boss. Tell the recruitment agency your notice period is negotiable, 3 months on paper, but your boss will easily negotiate.

If you get an offer, you are the favourite candidate for one company and are leaving another company. That puts you in a strong position to get both to move a bit and end up negotiating something like a 6 week notice period.
Original post by Anonymous #1

my advice is the opposite to the above. don't try to negotiate your notice period - it shows a lack of respect for the rules. do tell your boss you are thinking of leaving - HR can try to sort the issues for you, they won't want to lose you
Reply 5
If the place you'd be leaving for is the same company and you feel you have a good chance of getting the job, I'd tell your boss as otherwise they may automatically find out or they may want the opportunity of finding out if anything might compel you to stay at your current branch e.g. in another department.
If you've applied to go to a rival firm in the same industry, don't say a thing until you know that you've been accepted to work there. Don't mention it to your work colleagues either as it might annoy them or might end up spreading to managers/your boss.
If you've applied for a totally different industry, you might as well tell your boss so that they realise your potential aptitude for something other than your current job role. You might end up getting a job offer within your current company as a result too.
Original post by Zarek
Conventional wisdom is to tell your boss nothing until you have another job other offer. Telling them you’re job hunting undermines your commitment which is bad form and may lead to some form of covert discrimination that you don’t need. I doubt you’re in any better position to negotiate a reduction in notice period before you resign. So I would only do this if you’re very confident of finding something new quickly and want the satisfaction of telling them how you’re feeling

I agree. Do not mention it while you are still job hunting.
Once you get a job, or are the favourite candidate for a job (are confident you will get it) then you could mention it to your boss. And possibly see if they will reduce your notice.
Another option is to use any holidays you have in your notice period. This will shorten your notice period and you would start at the new place sooner than 3 months.
Have you spoken to your boss about the trouble you are having with co workers? Speak to your boss or HR and at least try and get the problems resolved. If that doesnt work, then at least you can say you have tried. And it wont come as such as shock when you do actually get a job and leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending