The Student Room Group

Epilepsy and University, did you do it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
Yes. if she has a seizure during that one year, it's another 6 month ban.

After a first fit its 6 months if theres another fit then its 12 months from the date of that fit.
Believe me ive lost my licence 3 times.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Can I ask what peoples dosages are?
I'm on tegretol 400mg twice a day, is that little considering I'm a UNI student?

It doesnt matter what dose your on aslong as your controlled? I feel drugged up to the eyeballs sometimes. Not quite sure what its got to do with being a uni student??

Anywho if it helps - lamotrigine 425mg, keppra 500mg and zebinix 400mg.
Apparently i have temporal lobe epilepsy with simple partial, complex partial and secondary generalised seizures if that means anything?
Reply 82
Can I ask what peoples dosages are?

I'm on tegretol 400mg twice a day, is that little considering I'm a UNI student?

I was on a very small dosage when I began. I can't remember now as it was in 2003, but it was around 5mg if I remember correctly. I needed to take it as medicine rather than a tablet as there weren't tablets small enough. 5mg is smaller than what very young children take and I was 18 at the time.

It was increased around 18 months after I began and gradually increased further until I changed to Lamotragine in 2006. However, the increase in dose, and change in medication, was not to achieve seizure control as I was perfectly well controlled on the smallest dosage. It was to stabalise my mood (as some AED's also act as mood stablisers).

400mg twice a day sounds like a moderate to heavy dosage.
Original post by River85
I was on a very small dosage when I began. I can't remember now as it was in 2003, but it was around 5mg if I remember correctly. I needed to take it as medicine rather than a tablet as there weren't tablets small enough. 5mg is smaller than what very young children take and I was 18 at the time.

It was increased around 18 months after I began and gradually increased further until I changed to Lamotragine in 2006. However, the increase in dose, and change in medication, was not to achieve seizure control as I was perfectly well controlled on the smallest dosage. It was to stabalise my mood (as some AED's also act as mood stablisers).

400mg twice a day sounds like a moderate to heavy dosage.

That's great thanks, I was wondering how appropriate that sounded
Original post by fairy spangles
It doesnt matter what dose your on aslong as your controlled? I feel drugged up to the eyeballs sometimes. Not quite sure what its got to do with being a uni student??

Anywho if it helps - lamotrigine 425mg, keppra 500mg and zebinix 400mg.
Apparently i have temporal lobe epilepsy with simple partial, complex partial and secondary generalised seizures if that means anything?

Not sure of the specifics, no. But thanks - sounds like quite a high dosage you're on
Reply 85
A good friend of mine at university has epilepsy. She was diagnosed in her first year and is in her third year now, still going strong!

I didn't realise the extent of it until we had a chat about it one day on the train back from the internship we both do. She was telling me how she used to have seizures almost every day in her first year, sometimes several times a day, before being diagnosed and given some medication (though she still has the seizures once every couple of days- the effect of it seems to be wearing off). Something she was really upset about was having her driving licence taken away.

She's had lots of incidents due to it- the most striking one (which she finds funny now!) is basically, a few days before she had a piece of coursework due in, she had a seizure whilst she was about to write the essay. Obviously she had to have a lie down, have a sleep, and so forth, and when she returned to carry on her essay, she couldn't really remember what she had been doing. It was now much closer to the deadline, so in her panic, she grabbed the first notes she could find and wrote up her essay.

The following week, both she and the girl she lives with (and who does the same course as her) received emails accusing them of plagiarism...She couldn't figure out what had happened, until she realised that she had used her friend's notes rather than her own by accident (as they weren't handwritten, she couldn't tell the difference, and her seizure had made her very confused for when she was writing the essay up!)

On the plus side, she's made it to third year with good grades every year, she has been involved with a prestigious internship for the past 18 months, involving going back and forth to London once a week, and she even has a job, as well as being on the committee of the squash club! She's a truly incredible person and an amazing example of what you can do even with a condition like epilepsy. Whenever I panic about exams or think I'm crap and am going to fail everything, I think of how much she's managed to achieve and suddenly feel very motivated again!
Original post by fairy spangles
After a first fit its 6 months if theres another fit then its 12 months from the date of that fit.
Believe me ive lost my licence 3 times.

Sorry, yes you're right. I think with dad, it was 6 months, then 12 because they couldn't work out what was wrong, then 18 because he had another seizure. They then claimed he was still having seizures; so ended up with a 22 month ban.
If / when you get your licence back, does it load your insurance, any trouble getting cover and any good/bad companies to try asking? (Having had health issues mysef recently - unrelated to all this - I know it can make a big difference) Luckily her house for next year has a bus stop very handy :smile:
Not sure of the specifics, no. But thanks - sounds like quite a high dosage you're on

Probably i had uncontrolled epilepsy for 10 years. Doesnt matter what dose your on aslong as it controls everything. I wish i was on less though. Worries me alot. However status epilepticus again if i dont take them should worry me more!

Original post by CopperPlate
If / when you get your licence back, does it load your insurance, any trouble getting cover and any good/bad companies to try asking? (Having had health issues mysef recently - unrelated to all this - I know it can make a big difference) Luckily her house for next year has a bus stop very handy :smile:

No makes no difference, there are not allowed to its classed as discrimination - its a bugger keep loosing all your no claims though!
Originally Posted by CopperPlate

If / when you get your licence back, does it load your insurance, any trouble getting cover and any good/bad companies to try asking? (Having had health issues myself recently - unrelated to all this - I know it can make a big difference) Luckily her house for next year has a bus stop very handy

>Reply by FairySpangles:

No makes no difference, there are not allowed to it's classed as discrimination - it's a bugger keep losing all your no claims though!

Hmm, I wasn't sure about that; after all, they do adjust premiums based on age and other factors that they think are relevant, that's what the whole stuff of actuarial science is about, assessing risk and making decisions accordingly. I don't see why you should lose the NCD though, it's not as if you had an accident. That's really unfair :frown: This is where simple online renewal (or not) isn't so easy. On the bright side, she will be over 21 by the time the six months is up, so it should be getting cheaper anyway. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest