The Student Room Group

Electric heater/fan...advise pls!

hey guys,

i am thinking about buying an electric heater/fan for my room, since it is effin cold in here. need a rather small not too expensive (max. 30 GBP) one that heats effectively. i'm just gonna use it occasionally anyway.
can anyone recommend anything?
also does anyone know if fan heaters are bad for your health? i.e. for your respiration etc.

thanks!
Reply 1
As long it isnt on for long periods of time like 2 hours straight its fine, but if its on too long the room tends to get stuffy. Theirs a bunch in argos and in the larger in store sainburies have small electric heaters for £10 - £20
Tesco heaters. 20 pounds. So ****ing good for your room. Source: experience.
Reply 3
Original post by Spexzzz
As long it isnt on for long periods of time like 2 hours straight its fine, but if its on too long the room tends to get stuffy. Theirs a bunch in argos and in the larger in store sainburies have small electric heaters for £10 - £20

thanks!
but what about bhealth issues...do you know if it provokes any damages to your lungs etc.?
oil heaters are definitely the best. I'm not sure how much they cost, because the one I've got was given to me by my mam, but it heats up the room brilliantly and is really really quiet, just the very occasional click.

Fan heaters are SOOOO noisy.

Those big panel heaters are quiet, but they don't heat up the room half as well as an oil heater.
its an electric heater, they all have pretty much identical efficiencies...
do you have to pay your own electricity bills? as it's going to cost you a tonne to run one

the average personal usage is roughly between 100 and 150watts...

fan heaters are generally 2000-3000 watts... meaning leaving one on for an hour a day will double your electricity bill
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Do not fall asleep with a heater fan on, you'll wake up in Hell!
Reply 7
Original post by rango
thanks!
but what about bhealth issues...do you know if it provokes any damages to your lungs etc.?

Not that im aware off, but i have asthma, which is mainly dust related, but having a fan heater doesnt make it any worse.

I believe all that is happening is heat is produced via electricity and then blown out by the fan, i may be wrong.
Reply 8
The fans can be a bit stinky the first time you use it after several months lying idle - they collect dust on the elements which is incinerated.

I'm a fan of oil filled radiators too tbh though they take a little while to get started - it's all heat I suppose but oil filled rads just seem to make the room more comfortable than fan heaters.
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup
The fans can be a bit stinky the first time you use it after several months lying idle - they collect dust on the elements which is incinerated.

I'm a fan of oil filled radiators too tbh though they take a little while to get started - it's all heat I suppose but oil filled rads just seem to make the room more comfortable than fan heaters.

So true... The one I have is mostly used on setting 1, when it's put on setting 2 though it smells like it's burning but it's actually just some dust :/

Unfortunately my tenancy agreement states no oil filled radiators. And there's no gas in the building so we have storage heaters, although have avoided using them all winter as we usually just blast the fan heater for a bit then switch it off once the room has warmed up enough to bear with lol...

I so miss my third year student house and it's lovely central heating which was usually on alll the time (apart from summer) :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending