The Student Room Group

PBL Med schools

Roughly how many uk medical schools are pbl?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hey_its_nay
Roughly how many uk medical schools are pbl?

I can think of several, but i dont know ALL.
Barts, Imperial, Kings, Liverpool

Ask others to add to the list :biggrin:
Reply 2
+ I think majority of them do it. The difference is how MUCH they use it, for instance Barts use it for majority of there course but Kings only use it for a small proportion.
Glasgow was....but they're changing aren't they?
Reply 4
How about medical schools that are majory pbl? like liverpool and manchester
Reply 5
Barts are really anal about PBL!
Original post by Legit
+ I think majority of them do it. The difference is how MUCH they use it, for instance Barts use it for majority of there course but Kings only use it for a small proportion.

Original post by Legit
Barts are really anal about PBL!

What? Where on earth are you getting this information from? I'd completely disagree.
Reply 7
I hate threads like this.
Reply 8
Original post by RollerBall
What? Where on earth are you getting this information from? I'd completely disagree.

Barts prospectus, the thing they repeat over and over is PBL and apparantly you do at least 2 PBL sessions per week? More than any other Unis' that I've heard of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, just saying what i said in my interview? :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Legit
Barts prospectus, the thing they repeat over and over is PBL and apparantly you do at least 2 PBL sessions per week? More than any other Unis' that I've heard of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, just saying what i said in my interview? :biggrin:

Most PBL schools do 2 sessions per week to the best of my knowledge. We certainly do at Keele.
Reply 10
Original post by Kinkerz
Most PBL schools do 2 sessions per week to the best of my knowledge. We certainly do at Keele.

When I think of PBL, I think of Barts :frown:

I dont know why, maybe cause there prospectus goes on about it
Reply 11
Original post by Legit
When I think of PBL, I think of Barts :frown:

I dont know why, maybe cause there prospectus goes on about it

The pioneers of PBL in the UK were Manchester.
Original post by Kinkerz
The pioneers of PBL in the UK were Manchester.

But is PBL all that successful or is it just dependent on the individual?
Reply 13
PBL (at Barts) scares the living **** out of me. :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by thegodofgod
But is PBL all that successful or is it just dependent on the individual?

I'm not qualified to comment on how 'successful' PBL is in the grand scheme of things (though, no doubt, there'll be some prefresher/lecture-obsessed medic that'll tell you it's crap). You hear phrases like "PBL students retain more information" but I'm not sure on the reliability.

Ultimately, it's down to the individual. But it would be the same with lectures. It depends how you learn best. I think lectures are a tedious, out-dated and flat way to learn (thus don't attend a great percentage of them), so I prefer PBL. I prefer to consult books/journals rather than have someone give me and 130 other people a powerpoint presentation while I doze off.
UEA use PBL in a fairly major way, but as I understand they do also use lectures and tutorials....

anyone here confirm/refute it?
Original post by Beska
PBL (at Barts) scares the living **** out of me. :frown:

How so?
Reply 17
Original post by RollerBall
How so?

It's a novel way of learning and it scares me that if I do get an offer (and accept), I'll have to commit to it for 5-odd years of my life without actually really knowing if it suits me or not. It's the nightmare situation that if it doesn't suit me at all, I'll be up **** creak without the metaphorical paddle. The reason I applied is because it sounds good on paper, and from reports from people like yourself it isn't completely the "teach yourself medicine" PBL is usually cracked up to be. But that's the thing - it's on paper. I might completely clash with it, or I might love it... it's just impossible to tell.

The other method - lectures with self-directed study is something I'm used to, and something that (so far in my academic career) I have learnt with and then succeeded with. I know it's not perfect - but better the devil you know?

e: Btw, the reason I mention Barts specifically is because that is where I've applied and that is where I know the course - didn't want to bash any other PBL courses without knowing what they actually entailed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Legit
I can think of several, but i dont know ALL.
Barts, Imperial, Kings, Liverpool

Ask others to add to the list :biggrin:

Manchester, Glasgow
Original post by infernalcradle

Original post by infernalcradle
UEA use PBL in a fairly major way, but as I understand they do also use lectures and tutorials....

anyone here confirm/refute it?

Confirmed. Although I have no idea what you mean with the "tutorials" :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending