The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phx
Hmm I don't think it will be of much use. Do you know of any other resources which could benefit me?

Economics Today is specifically A Level targeted with case studies related to your course. It is not however OCR specific but all in all good read, with extra points not covered by the textbook. It's around £10 a year I think with 4 issues during the school year. Your school library might have it so no need to buy it for yourself? If not suggest it to your teacher, mine just photocopies the useful articles which explain things really well with additional conclusions etc. It is written by teachers so it's quite dull to read ngl with your boring A level diagrams and questions as such.

The Economist is however a higher level but more interesting, most articles are on the web anyway so unless you expect to be reading 80% of the content I wouldn't bother with a subscription. Features are you friend as is "skimming" and Dailychart :love: and KAL :mmm:
Original post by lordvulture
Cambridge does have quotas for internationals, and being an international student myself, I know this for a fact... I don't know about LSE, but it does seem that they take a lot of international students :P

Oh I didn't know about this Cambridge quota! I am wondering whether other universities discriminate against us as well. LSE definteley doesn't, they accept students based on an economic point of view, that is: MORE CASH for them if they take in the internationals :biggrin:
Reply 7322
Original post by phx
I thought this thread would be the best place to ask:

I'm on OCR Economics (AS) and was curious if 'The Economist' was a good read each week? It's a cheap subscription although i'm not sure if it will help that much with the two exams (Micro and Macro).

It's interesting, but it won't really help you hugely with your studies - I find it focuses on politics a lot too (the leader on Romney was painful to read this week)

Read Paul Krugman's blog (http://krugmanonline.com/ ) it will be more useful on the macro-side of the course as he discusses government economic policy a lot. Plus, it is free.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FDR
It's interesting, but it won't really help you hugely with your studies - I find it focuses on politics a lot too (the leader on Romney was painful to read this week)

Read Paul Krugman's blog (http://krugmanonline.com/ ) it will be more useful on the macro-side of the course as he discusses government economic policy a lot. Plus, it is free.

no!! don't think Krugman's views would get you any credit in an A-level macro exam that's so narrow in scope...
How did you guys do in the re-interviews you had ? Economics was today right ?
Original post by Tateco
If you go to the open day, you get an offer

Right but according to Lordvulture only those with a London post code have been invited thus only they have been given offers, no ?
If so then isn't it a bit unfair that UCL are giving offers out to Londoners before others ?
Reply 7326
Original post by lordvulture
no!! don't think Krugman's views would get you any credit in an A-level macro exam that's so narrow in scope...

Why not?

Have you read his articles? Whilst you might not agree with his views in general, his economics is sound, and he explains everything in such an easy to understand way.

The A-level exam is narrow in scope, but a lot of his articles are about the very basics of economics ("econ 101" as he often calls it) and how it is being neglected -in his blogs, he will often talk about the multiplier effect, deficit spending, interest rate policy, unemployment and what should be done, which is all covered at AS level. Honestly, I recommend people to give it a read - if you don't think it's useful then you've lost nothing whatsoever.
I think as long as you read anything economics related regularly, you will gradually learn how to apply the economic theories that you learn, into real world situation and as the exam is based on a case study, you will have be able to form clearer ideas. Best advice is to read anything that you will enjoy and that you will find interesting
Reply 7328
Original post by Brand New Eyes

Economics Today is specifically A Level targeted with case studies related to your course. It is not however OCR specific but all in all good read, with extra points not covered by the textbook. It's around £10 a year I think with 4 issues during the school year. Your school library might have it so no need to buy it for yourself? If not suggest it to your teacher, mine just photocopies the useful articles which explain things really well with additional conclusions etc. It is written by teachers so it's quite dull to read ngl with your boring A level diagrams and questions as such.

The Economist is however a higher level but more interesting, most articles are on the web anyway so unless you expect to be reading 80% of the content I wouldn't bother with a subscription. Features are you friend as is "skimming" and Dailychart :love: and KAL :mmm:

Thanks.

Are you referring to the ones by Anforme?

I may purchase 'Economics Today' but it seems pretty late as they are only published four times a year (September - March) and it's February already.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by phx
Thanks.

Are you referring to the ones by Anforme?

I may purchase 'Economics Today' but it seems pretty late as they are only published four times a year (September - March) and it's February already.

Yep, I think they'll send you the previous copies though, not just the new ones!
Reply 7330

Yep, I think they'll send you the previous copies though, not just the new ones!

Alright.

Just curious to which other resources everyone used? If anyone could mention the best ones then that would be great (i.e. books/websites). I've ordered the Anforme revision guide although that shouldn't be really used a sole companion. Any reviews on the Anforme one would be great (if anybody has used it and its benefited them alot).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by phx
Alright.

Just curious to which other resources everyone used? If anyone could mention the best ones then that would be great (i.e. books/websites). I've ordered the Anforme revision guide although that shouldn't be really used a sole companion. Any reviews on the Anforme one would be great (if anybody has used it and its benefited them alot).

:lol: Well it depends on what you're looking for really. Wider economic knowledge or a better mark for exams

I'd say it's probably the most useful publication you could get (in terms of just A level) . Tutor2u is better for actually explaining content but you'll get that in the textbook anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by phx

I think I had something by Anforme back in the day. It was OK. But for A-level I always found that past papers and mark schemes were more or less sufficient. Hell, even it uni that was pretty much the case. :tongue:
Reply 7333

:lol: Well it depends on what you're looking for really. Wider economic knowledge or a better mark for exams

I'd say it's probably the most useful publication you could get (in terms of just A level) . Tutor2u is better for actually explaining content but you'll get that in the textbook anyway.

Definitely better mark for exams for now.

Original post by alex_hk90
I think I had something by Anforme back in the day. It was OK. But for A-level I always found that past papers and mark schemes were more or less sufficient. Hell, even it uni that was pretty much the case. :tongue:

Yeah past papers are a must for revision and mastering exam technique although for learning the content some good books are definitely needed.
Original post by phx
Alright.

I've use the Anforme revision guides over the past two years and they've benefitted me alot. I usually use the A2 one for general revision and then the Micro and Macro ones separate as they help with application. I find they're structured very nicely, but not sure if they're applicable for all exam boards. The Business Economics one is written by my chief examiner :colone:.

You're right though they shouldn't be used alone. I read The Economist, Economics Today and other books as well to give a general understanding of economics as a whole as well as the current economic situation.

Anforme is good though, last year a friend of mine rose from getting Ds to getting a B in the exam with it. (Also helpful if your teacher is so bad he doesn't know what ceteris paribus is :rolleyes:)
Reply 7335
Original post by DylanLJG

Original post by DylanLJG
I've use the Anforme revision guides over the past two years and they've benefitted me alot. I usually use the A2 one for general revision and then the Micro and Macro ones separate as they help with application. I find they're structured very nicely, but not sure if they're applicable for all exam boards. The Business Economics one is written by my chief examiner :colone:.

You're right though they shouldn't be used alone. I read The Economist, Economics Today and other books as well to give a general understanding of economics as a whole as well as the current economic situation.

Anforme is good though, last year a friend of mine rose from getting Ds to getting a B in the exam with it. (Also helpful if your teacher is so bad he doesn't know what ceteris paribus is :rolleyes:)

Did 'Economics Today' come in handy? I personally am not going to subscribe to both 'The Economist and 'Economics Today' as I most likely won't read both. I've ordered the Anforme revision guide and I've also purchased:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-AS-Economics-National-International/dp/034096670X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326630060&sr=8-7

I find these guides useful and decided to order it alongside the Anforme revision guide. Which board are you on for Economics if you don't mind me asking?
I may have said this already but

IT'S THE UCAS DEADLINE IN 11 HOURS AND 7 MINUTES
Reply 7337

Woop! Woop! Haha

Negged u by accident :facepalm:
Original post by phx
Did 'Economics Today' come in handy? I personally am not going to subscribe to both 'The Economist and 'Economics Today' as I most likely won't read both. I've ordered the Anforme revision guide and I've also purchased:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-AS-Economics-National-International/dp/034096670X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326630060&sr=8-7

I find these guides useful and decided to order it alongside the Anforme revision guide. Which board are you on for Economics if you don't mind me asking?

Having subscribed to both last year, I have to say I found economics today a bit boring in comparison to the economist, tbh I stopped reading Economics today after the first issue and didn't even re subscribe today. But if you are after it purely for exams, then it is better...

Latest

Trending

Trending