The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Groat
Yeah, that was the point I was trying to get across. :u:

Do you think universities want to know if you were awarded a subject prize (for best performing student in a subject) from your school, or UMS marks in a module (which I know some referees mention)?

Yes, both of those are relevant things to be mentioned (the UMS marks by the referee and the subject prize if it's in a relevant subject).
Original post by Groat
If I get a B in English Literature I will be dropping that; otherwise, I will be continuing with five.

Also, if I get 90%+ in AS-Levels this year, I only need 70% in the A2 exams to get an A. :eek:

Hmm, I sort of disagree. I could talk about Economics for ages and end up writing an essay on why I want to study it. You need to get into the groove of being concise. By all means don't miss out a point if you feel it's relevant, but don't elaborate on everything. It's likely you'll go through it with a teacher and cross out a few sentences as they don't really add much.

What sections are you conforming to?

Ahh yes, the magic 90+ I'm guessing you're an oxbridge applicant :tongue: Would be nice. I heard that 90+ in the 3 most relevant subjects give you a great chance of getting an interview, fingers crossed :smile:

Yeah concise writing is better than a load of waffle. I realise I'll probably rewrite it a couple of hundred times :sigh:

I'm not sure what you mean by sections? Are you referring to introduction, EC's, stuff like that? I think I'll structure it as 4 paragraphs.

Original post by Potally_Tissed
If you take this approach you'll probably be so far over the character limit that you end up rewriting large parts of it because you've ruined the flow by cutting it down to the right length. 4000 characters isn't a lot of space and if you're leaving a line between paragraphs, which you should, 3600 characters is more realistic. Think carefully about what you want to include, so you don't end up with 7000 characters or something crazy :smile:

Yeah I guess so, thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 822
Original post by thegenius31416
Yes, both of those are relevant things to be mentioned (the UMS marks by the referee and the subject prize if it's in a relevant subject).

I'll see if I can manoeuvre it in then. :colondollar:
Reply 823
Original post by thegenius31416

Original post by Groat
I'll see if I can manoeuvre it in then. :colondollar:

Hopefully our references are willing so we can ask them to include certain things :tongue: My reference writer said he's written 12 references for Oxbridge applicants and 11 of them got an interview, so hopefully I'll get to that stage, at which point your PS and reference are pretty much forgotten about any way!
Reply 824
Original post by tateco
Hopefully our references are willing so we can ask them to include certain things :tongue: My reference writer said he's written 12 references for Oxbridge applicants and 11 of them got an interview, so hopefully I'll get to that stage, at which point your PS and reference are pretty much forgotten about any way!

I think they're still very much contributing factors! Especially when they'll spark conversation from your personal statement. :eek:
Reply 825
Original post by Groat
I think they're still very much contributing factors! Especially when they'll spark conversation from your personal statement. :eek:

I suppose, but the interview certainly has more weighting at that stage.
Reply 826
Heyy everyone.
Thinking of apply to Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds for straight economics but think it might be risky. For GCSE's I got 5A*s and 4As and my AS levels are Maths, French, economics and English Lit which I'm predicted AAAA. However, I dont know what my chances are as my A levels perhaps arent sciency enough. What are my chances??!!!
Reply 827
Original post by Sirrod
Heyy everyone.
Thinking of apply to Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds for straight economics but think it might be risky. For GCSE's I got 5A*s and 4As and my AS levels are Maths, French, economics and English Lit which I'm predicted AAAA. However, I dont know what my chances are as my A levels perhaps arent sciency enough. What are my chances??!!!

GCSE's seem fine, but don't you need A*AA to apply for Bristol? Apart from that everything is fine. I doubt not taking any sciences will matter much (imo) as you have four very traditional subjects.

Btw, just had my UCAS talk thing today and I had an Oxbridge session and I got to say.. It's made me consider applying to Cambridge, but since my options are still at 4.. I might just consider applying.
Reply 828
Original post by Sirrod
Heyy everyone.

What are your UMS scores like in your January modules? If you think you might get predicted at least A*AA at A2 then you might be selling yourself short, may as well put at least one high risk choice in. The lack of sciences is not an issue at all. The lack of further maths will be a problem for top 5 but other than that they are not an issue.
Hi everyone
This year I have done AS levels in maths, history, economics, physics and critical thinking
I am considering applying possibly apply to one of the top 5 uni's (depending on my results). I was wondering would they prefer it if i carried on with all my AS levels to A level (except critical thinking XD) or would dropping physics and doing a further maths AS level be more helpful ?
Cheers :smile:
Reply 830
Original post by vinchenzo25
Hi everyone
This year I have done AS levels in maths, history, economics, physics and critical thinking
I am considering applying possibly apply to one of the top 5 uni's (depending on my results). I was wondering would they prefer it if i carried on with all my AS levels to A level (except critical thinking XD) or would dropping physics and doing a further maths AS level be more helpful ?
Cheers :smile:

Warwick prefer 4 A2 to 3 A2 and 2 AS as far as I'm aware, but for the other 4 you would probably be better off taking further maths. (Don't quote me on that, though). LSE, Cambridge and UCL are definitely keen on further maths.

What are your GCSEs and predicted A-level grades?
GCSE's are 9a* , 2a and I haven't been told my predicted A level grades but going off the UMS from january maybe A*(maths) A*(history) A*(economics) and A (physics) . My thinking was that the majority would prefer further maths but a few of my teachers have said maybe go for the 4 A levels instead of 3 and an AS.
Reply 832
GCSE's are 9a* , 2a and I haven't been told my predicted A level grades but going off the UMS from january maybe A*(maths) A*(history) A*(economics) and A (physics) . My thinking was that the majority would prefer further maths but a few of my teachers have said maybe go for the 4 A levels instead of 3 and an AS.

You definitely have a good shot at top 5 with those GCSEs and predictions. LSE apparently like Physics. Just try and think of a good reason why you didn't do FM
Original post by tateco
You definitely have a good shot at top 5 with those GCSEs and predictions. LSE apparently like Physics. Just try and think of a good reason why you didn't do FM

Looking back I probably should of taken it, but I have only just started studying economics this year so I had no idea about the requirements :/ Hopefully i can get by without it !
Reply 834
Looking back I probably should of taken it, but I have only just started studying economics this year so I had no idea about the requirements :/ Hopefully i can get by without it !

I'm in exactly the same situation as you mate :smile:
Reply 835
Make that three, I also didnt take up FM, and it was too late in the course to change, so i'm applying with Maths, Economics, Physics and Chemistry
Original post by tateco
(Don't quote me on that, though). LSE, Cambridge and UCL are definitely keen on further maths.

What are your GCSEs and predicted A-level grades?

I'll quote you on this though :wink:

From the Cambridge website:

Economics and Further Mathematics are considered useful preparation but are not essential.

Plenty of people get offers without Economics and FM is in the same bracket. I don't think they place too much emphasis.
As for UCL it's not even mentioned on their site as far as I can see.
Reply 837
Original post by Psychotic546
I'll quote you on this though :wink:

From the Cambridge website:

Plenty of people get offers without Economics and FM is in the same bracket. I don't think they place too much emphasis.
As for UCL it's not even mentioned on their site as far as I can see.

I've heard UCL like further maths (they lower the offer for people with further maths) but I don't have any concrete proof of this... (EDIT: I have emailed UCL, I will post their response)

However a Cambridge admissions tutor told me that 90% of successful applicants have taken at least some further maths module (correlation doesn't imply causation and all that but it certainly looks like it would help)
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone know which straight economics courses are the most mathematical?
Original post by alexsmith_85
Does anyone know which straight economics courses are the most mathematical?

LSE is very maths based, UCL is too. After that, look to degree's which are Bsc not BA (with the exception of Oxbridge).
If you want maths based courses you could apply to Economics with/and maths.

Original post by tateco
I've heard UCL like further maths (they lower the offer for people with further maths) but I don't have any concrete proof of this... (EDIT: I have emailed UCL, I will post their response)

However a Cambridge admissions tutor told me that 90% of successful applicants have taken at least some further maths module (correlation doesn't imply causation and all that but it certainly looks like it would help)

UCL used to require FM and so I suppose that's why you've heard that. Having said that, their course is very maths based so it wouldn't surprise me to hear that though they don't mention it on their site. I still haven't got a reply from them but do let me know what they say.

Fair enough, I think that is more a case of correlation although that includes FM at AS level which a lot of economics applicants applying to these sorts of unis do mainly because they are good at it.

Latest

Trending

Trending