Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spongle)
    Weirdly, done lots of things that should be 'painful'. To name a few, I've broken my legs and had malaria.

But the worst was when I had the flu (I'd call it man flu, but...) at the end of last year. Felt like I was on death's door, and had to write two essays during it.
    This generally sums me up. Worst pain ever has been through very occasional bugs/viruses of the stomach - worst one was something I caught out in India.

I had hallucinations, severe pains, feeling of crapping my guts out - not nice. And I had never had hallucinations before so the idea of a disc on my back growing as it span so sending me crashing upwards through the roof and sky - yeah terrifying and painful in-one

What should have been painful but wasn't?

Getting hit by a 4x4 Honda CRV down-hill at 30 mph. Didn't hurt at all. First I was overwhelmed with shock (I feel that overshadowed any pain) and by the time I was in hospitals - they hooked me up on drugs :P Never felt a thing

In the end I cracked my humerus diagonally and broke apart some shoulder bones - only break ever

Other pains:

Stepping on plugs - damn damn damn that hurts

And From about a metre and a half a plate dropped and the edge cracked down on my toe - the pain was actually horrible but not as sustained as the stomach which is why I don't say it's the worst. But my dear God it hurt - this was about 9 months ago or so now, but I'm still recovering now from it (nail's growth is damaged but getting better).

Hits in the balls - I won't compare to child labour but one of my friends (female ofc) thinks child labour's worse. But, who knows? That's a whole thread on its own!

Edit:

I don't feel I have the right to have posted after reading about some of these experiences !! Sorry people!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuro101)
    Several months ago, I had to get an ultrasound for my kidneys, and they requested I drink 2 water bottles before I came in and had to "hold it in". I had an exam as well that day, so try thinking with a full bladder. Most painful thing ever, worse than getting my wisdom teeth removed.

I share your pain.
    omg same thing happened with me with the ultrasound,
    i thought it would be funny to turn to the doctor and ask, "is it a boy doctor?"
    i found it hilarious. made me laugh, bladder muscles in agony.

totally worth the joke. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Broke my toe by stubbing it into a rock.

Pain. Paaaain.

ReputationRep:
    It'd have to be out of the following:

1) Sledging in 2009. My sledge stops halfway down this steep hill which everybody else is sledging down. I stand up, turn around, and get hit by a sledge with 2 people on it going very, very fast. I do a 360 in the air and land with my arm stretched out, slamming my face into the hard ice and breaking my collarbone.
    Weirdest part was that it didn't even feel broken, it just felt like I was going to throw up. For the next few weeks/months it felt like I didn't have a collarbone (because it had broken inwards) and everytime I moved my arm too far I'd be hit with a massive burst of pain.

2) I had a horrible ingrown toenail which the GP said wasn't anything and so left it until it had gone halfway deep into my big toe. I had to have an operation on it which involved having 2 painful injections stuck into my big toe. I could feel every bit of the push in. After the operation, I couldn't walk properly on my big toe for about 4/5 months and the slightest bit of pressure would make it feel like an elephant had just stamped on my toe with full force. Oh and it didn't end there! I went to the GP about the non-stop bleeding who then told me that the doctors hadn't done the operation properly. COMMENCE ANOTHER OPERATION ON THE SAME TOE AND ANOTHER 6 MONTHS OF EXCRUCIATING PAIN.

Come to think of it, the 2nd one was definitely much, much worse.
    I wish I'd just been kicked in the balls by an elephant, it probably would've hurt less.

Oh forgot to mention, the moment my collarbone healed (2 months after it broke), I had to have that operation. I went through a whole year of pain >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateWar)
    breaking both bones in my arm at once, thank god for gas and air to cure the pain!
    (Original post by laurenmgbowden)
    Trigeminal neuralgia. It's agony. It's alternative name of 'Suicide disease' is accurate

Other than that, I broke my ankle when I was 12 in 3 places and tore the muscle, doctor grabbed my ankle and hauled it up on the bed to examine it. That hurt. Then pronounced it was just a sprain. So went home, misjudged the hop to step up to my house and landed with all my weight on it. I screamed so loud that my neighbour came running out Then the 2 days of it not being in a cast before I got xrayed were also fairly horrendous.

Another time I fell off my horse out in the woods, kind of flew into a tree and broke my upper left arm and nearly snapped the nerve so all the feeling of my arm was up in the air while I was lying on the ground. Like I was dying and coming out of my body. Bizarre. But then I had to walk back home through the mud in sheer agony with no support for my arm and it had to be pushed into place for the cast. Plenty more fractures but those were the most pain that I remember.
    oh, and when you're barefoot and catch your little toe on something. PAIN.

I'm so accident prone :rolleyes:
    I feel your broken arm pain. When I was younger I fell and landed on my arm. When I rolled over my right forearm was hanging at a 45 degree angle (both bones were cleanly broken). The bad thing was, was that I had to get up and run inside, then wait for someone to get something to support my arm and drive to the hospital. No pain relief ftl.

And to make things worse, I had a cast on. Then I went for a check up after six weeks and it turns out the cast was too loose and wasn't really doing anything. Massive hospital fail.

I've also fallen off a bench and fractured my left wrist. Although I don't really remember that one (I was only 4 or 5). And ive fallen down the stairs countless times. Including rugby tackling a CD rack at the bottom one time. Also sprained my ankles a few times.

Edit: Been hit in the *******s a few times too.

ReputationRep:
    Back spasms. Sounds weak, but it hurt 10x more than broken bones >___< I was on the brink of tears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    When I was around 8 I got knocked down by this really big wave, with the impact just being so huge that i got pushed down to the bottom with my face scraping the sand, and i kept trying to get upright but just kept getting whirled around underwater.
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Snapping my banjo string

ReputationRep:
    Sledging in the dark down an icy hill, On my knees, on a boogy board. I Go off an ice jump and land on my shoulder and break my collar bone. Then missed out on a school ski trip to Italy. Sad times.

Another was when I broke my finger, playing softball at school. Went to catch the 'soft' ball and it landed hard on my finger. Nearly had to get an operation as it was broken quite badly..

Falling down a flight of concrete stairs when I was drunk and it was pitch black. Ended up with some nasty cuts and bruises, could have easily broken my neck. Was very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    I was on holiday and I'd eaten some raw meat that had been in the fridge; at least I think that was the cause of the food poisoning I subsequently suffered. It was absolutely excrutiating. It's one of those where you wake up in the middle of the night with brutal stomache ache. I quickly made my way to the toilet and it felt like broken glass was passing through my GI tract :puke:. I was puking and had the runs for about a week.

Another time (I was about 12) I fell off a BMX and fractured my elbow (can't remember which bone it was), but it was painful needless to say. What's worse is I missed out on going on a school football trip :mad:.

EDIT: Just thought of another one. I had mumps when I was about 13. Mumps is such an uncomfortable disease, I couldn't sleep lying down at night, I had to be sort of sitting upright. Also, anytime I ate something tangy it would hurt like hell.

ReputationRep:
    tore my ankle ligaments playing football ****ING OW! 6 months on and it still pops and clicks from time to time

also managed to plant my knee into a big iron radiator at school which hurt so much it made me go pale and feel ill! :|

another incident i had was where i got a massive hole down the side of my arm from where i fell through a pane of glass in a door :') luckily enough i think the shock overshadowed any pain because it was a pretty large, deep cut

ReputationRep:
    Not so painful but pretty gross: I stood on the sharp, serrated edge of a can of tomatoes with all my body weight bearing downwards. Tomatoes and blood EVERYWHERE. Looked like a murder scene.. the cut on my toe was vicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunderX)
    Had an operation to extend my left leg when I was 13 - they put me under general anesthesia and severed the bone, drilling metal bars into the bone on either side.

Once a day for a month, we had to twist a screwdriver mechanism to push the (severed) bones apart a millimetre. Despite occasionally being dosed on painkillers, the apprehension of daily, scheduled pain is a terrible experience.
    Why did you have that?

ReputationRep:
    The worst pain i've probably ever experienced is burning my wrist. I wad lifting a pot of boiling gravy off a gas hop when my oven glove caught fire. As anyone would i dropped the gravy bowl to run to the sink to put out the fire and, of course, slopped 100 degree gravy all over my wrist, and oh my god, I nearly died! I think it was a second degree burn in the end. Happened about a year ago and i still have a large purple mark on my wrist.
    In close second I dislocated my knee whilst turning off a lightswitch, which was f course the most ridiculous accident ever. Perhaps the most painful part of that was when I had to tell the doctor what happened and he burst out laughing. Damn you Dr. Smith!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Period cramps, and getting my four wisdom teeth removed :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    My worst pain I think was when I woke up one morning and tried to get up and got horrible shooting pains down my neck so had to just stay very still. I couldn't use the muscles in my neck at all for a few days, most of it was me spent crying. Going to the toilet was a *****

It was worse than chipping my teeth, having a pointy bit in a fence go through my chin and falling off a tall wall head first onto the pavement.

Another seriously painful thing was when I tried to swing around the banisters onto the stairs and missed and went flying down the stairs and landed on my back urgh I can still feel the winded feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Lumbar puncture with no anaesthetic... young doctor too so didn't really have a clue what he was doing...ended up poking around inside my back for a good 5 minutes which seems like a life time! Horrible experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Es man)
    omg same thing happened with me with the ultrasound,
    i thought it would be funny to turn to the doctor and ask, "is it a boy doctor?"
    i found it hilarious. made me laugh, bladder muscles in agony.

totally worth the joke. :rolleyes:
    hehe, I hate it when they ask "how are you doing today?" (I had to remind myself not to roll my eyes) and you're apparently miserable and in pain, practically fighting against your own body.

...but kidney stones were gone!

(Original post by ghostboobs)
    Not so painful but pretty gross: I stood on the sharp, serrated edge of a can of tomatoes with all my body weight bearing downwards. Tomatoes and blood EVERYWHERE. Looked like a murder scene.. the cut on my toe was vicious.
    Working in a lab, I'm used to seeing a lot of blood, but for some reason this made me terribly wince.

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from migraines, but I had one that was so intense I thought I was having an aneurysm.. the pain was so horrible I was vomiting my brains out. I don't even remember getting in the car and driving to the hospital. They had to give me a shot in my ass... so it was also embarrassing.

The pain of not loosing virginity & i am 21 :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2012
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.