The Student Room Group

Changing course at firm uni?

Having applied for history in October under pressure as my school had a deadline for ucas applications, I have recently had a change of heart and really want to do biology, which I got an A at as in and am very interested in it.

I firmed history at Newcastle a while back and want some advice as to what to do as I am seriously wanting to do biology. I know about the process of being 'released' from your firm university and then going into extra or clearing but I would want to apply for biology at my firm uni, Newcastle, does this mean I would still have to go through the process of ucas extra?

Thank you :smile: I am so stuck on what to do, If i can do anything at all!
No - you can just contact them and ask for a change.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
No - you can just contact them and ask for a change.

Even though its 2 completely different subjects and departments? Should I email both Biology department and history?

Thank you :smile::smile:
Original post by jo371
Even though its 2 completely different subjects and departments? Should I email both Biology department and history?

Thank you :smile::smile:

I'd recommend biology first, then follow their guidance. :smile: Yes, it's possible - depends on the department.
Reply 4
I'd recommend biology first, then follow their guidance. :smile: Yes, it's possible - depends on the department.

What should I say in an email to them? and would I have to write another personal statement?

Thank you for your help! I thought i'd have to risk it in clearing!
You just have to explain the current situation (I have an offer for history, [course code], at this uni) and then make your request (but would like to change to biology) backing it up with reasons (because [blah, blah, blah].) Offer to write another PS and it's likely they'll want one, if they agree to consider it.

You're welcome - hope it works out. :smile:
Reply 6
You just have to explain the current situation (I have an offer for history, [course code], at this uni) and then make your request (but would like to change to biology) backing it up with reasons (because [blah, blah, blah].) Offer to write another PS and it's likely they'll want one, if they agree to consider it.

You're welcome - hope it works out. :smile:

Thank you for your help! I received an offer for biology today after sending my personal statement :smile:
Original post by jo371
Thank you for your help! I received an offer for biology today after sending my personal statement :smile:

That's excellent news, pleased it all worked out for you. :smile: Good luck in meeting the offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending