The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I had a second appointment with my orthodontist and he has told me its either braces and operation or nuthin. I ave an appointment wif the surgeon in January to help me make my decision I am just scared of goin to hospital as when am in I won't have any visitors as the hospital is 3hours away from where I live x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Im currently on my gap year and I'm due to have the surgery in December hopefully! I was just wondering if i would still have braces by the time my September 2013 university course starts. How long does it normally take after the surgery for your braces to be taken off? my teeth are practically straight on top and bottom, just need to surgery to re-align my jaw. appreicate any advice or past experiences. :smile:
Reply 102
Original post by Arman_Partow
Im currently on my gap year and I'm due to have the surgery in December hopefully! I was just wondering if i would still have braces by the time my September 2013 university course starts. How long does it normally take after the surgery for your braces to be taken off? my teeth are practically straight on top and bottom, just need to surgery to re-align my jaw. appreicate any advice or past experiences. :smile:

hey, i was told my braces will be on roughly about 6 or so months after surgery but i think it will depend on your recovery after the op :smile: hope that helps :smile: xx
oh right thank you! ahh i hope it comes off before university haha! :smile:
Original post by ellen95
I'm 17 and my orthodontist suggested jaw surgery for my under-bite a couple of years ago, now I have to decide whether to go for it or not. To be honest I'm completely ok with it, I think I can deal with a bit of pain and swelling for a long-term facial improvement - the only thing that's stopping me is I'd have to have braces for another couple of years AGAIN after having them for a year once before.

I had braces on only my top teeth previously and obviously this time I'd have to have them on both sets of teeth. My under-bite is reasonably noticeable as it is, and my orthodontist said the braces on my bottom teeth (moving them forward) would make the jaw look considerably worse for a while before the surgery. That is what I'm worried about - has anyone had this? How much worse does it become before the surgery?

I know it'd be making it worse to make it a lot better in the long run, it just worries me how much worse. It'd be around the time of my 18th and a potential holiday with friends as well, I just don't want to look awful. I don't know if going through all this is worth the change or if I should just not have the surgery? Ahkjsxbgjkdfg.

If you or any others want to see some before and after photos, of the type of improvement to expect, check here:

http://orthocj.com/2000/06/a-patients-guide-to-orthognathic-surgery/

I think people that have underbites have MASSIVE improvement aestatically.

I had an open bite, but what I will say, so I can't tell you if you would look bad after brace treatment (you probably wont, as all they are doing with braces is straightening your teeth) - you may go through an ugly duckling phase, but its temporary. And if anything you will look at old photos of yourself and think afterwards, god I looked quite assymetrical than.
Original post by fat_hobbit
Thought I'd chime in. As this will prove useful to anyone thinking about going through this.

I have had double jaw surgery to correct an open bite and to reposition my chin, it was off centre by 5mm.

I am 3 weeks post recovery:

[...]

Just to add to this list.

If you have jaw surgery when they give you rubber bands, make sure you change them every 4-6 hours. The rubber bands tend to lose their tightness after that point, which helps the jaw bone go back to its old position.

The idea is if you do this consistently, where they have broken your jaw bone, once it start healing, and there is actual bone there, everything is more solidified, as it will be hard for the bite to move back to its old position due to the new bone being there.

And the swelling during this time has a hard time subsiding, every-time your jaw moves against how the bone is healing - you face swells up.

Im 5 weeks now post op.
oh right thank you! ahh i hope it comes off before university haha! :smile:

I wouldn't worry about the braces, most girls don't care in my experience.

If anything - it goes in your favour, because they can see that you are doing something about your teeth.

As long as your teeth are straight that is all that matters.
I'm having this surgery and have braces at the moment, I got them in January this year and was wondering how long people had to wait until the actual surgery? One thing I'm scared about is if I have my mouth wired shut but end up getting blood clots in my nose so I won't be able to breath?! Also a bit worried about how much weight I will lose as I'm not the heaviest person around
Original post by Anonymous
I'm having this surgery and have braces at the moment, I got them in January this year and was wondering how long people had to wait until the actual surgery? One thing I'm scared about is if I have my mouth wired shut but end up getting blood clots in my nose so I won't be able to breath?! Also a bit worried about how much weight I will lose as I'm not the heaviest person around

hey,

I have lost just under a stone after my latest surgery.

In total because I had a really bad bite, I needed two separate surgeries.

The first was SARPE - to correct a crossbite.

And my latest one was bimax (upper and bottom jaw surgery) - to close an open bite and to fix a reverse overjet.

The first 2 weeks are the hardest. You will get blood clots but that will go away after a week.

Best thing to do before getting surgery done, is to prepare for it. Like you I am slim, but I went to the gym and gained a stone. Got to 11 stones, lost about 9 pounds after being on a liquid diet over the last 5 weeks. (soups etc)

After surgery for damage control, make sure you drink high calorie drinks. "Ensure plus"

After the 5th week everything will be fine. You should be able to eat soft foods again, rice, pasta, mashed potatoe etc.

There is a 2 year wait between each surgery, due to braces. They can only perform surgery once your teeth are straight as they use it as a guide for how your bite should be.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wouldn't worry about the braces, most girls don't care in my experience.

If anything - it goes in your favour, because they can see that you are doing something about your teeth.

As long as your teeth are straight that is all that matters.

i was more worried about having to travel to an orthodontist appointment as well as the aesthetics of braces.

Thanks for the advice though :smile:
i was more worried about having to travel to an orthodontist appointment as well as the aesthetics of braces.

Thanks for the advice though :smile:

Well after surgery you will have to go in twice a week normally.

And the aesthetics of the braces are just like normal braces.
Ok its been 8 weeks now post surgery.

I can see massive differences in my face.

Jawline is stronger, face is straight (to the point people are commenting), and my bite is normal.

I am still swollen, and still unable to eat solids - by that steak etc.

But for anyone having second thoughts about jaw surgery. Just get it done. I feel a billion times better now, and when looking at old photos, I can see why I was so depressed about the way I looked.
Ok its been 8 weeks now post surgery.

I can see massive differences in my face.

Jawline is stronger, face is straight (to the point people are commenting), and my bite is normal.

I am still swollen, and still unable to eat solids - by that steak etc.

But for anyone having second thoughts about jaw surgery. Just get it done. I feel a billion times better now, and when looking at old photos, I can see why I was so depressed about the way I looked.

Do you know how long you're going to have to keep your braces on for after the surgery? :smile:

One thing I'm scared about is if I have my mouth wired shut but end up getting blood clots in my nose so I won't be able to breath?! Also a bit worried about how much weight I will lose

I had my mouth wired shut for a week after double jaw surgery for an underbite and it wasn't actually that bad since without being wired shut I couldn't open my mouth anyway!! Blood clots aren't that bad either, just try and sit up to sleep and you'll be fine!!

I lost just under a stone I think but I put on half a stone in preparation and once I started eating my body when back to it's old weight so I'd just advise putting on weight before the surgery :smile:

[QUOTE="Arman_Partow;40443416"]Do you know how long you're going to have to keep your braces on for after the surgery? :smile:

I had my surgery at the end of June and I'm getting my braces off in December :smile: Roughly you have them for 3-6 months after surgery!!
Do you know how long you're going to have to keep your braces on for after the surgery? :smile:

They said that it takes 5 months post op.

So, March.
Reply 115
Hi, I have TMJ and I have an appointment with a consultant on the 14th of Jan regarding Orthognathic type 3 surgery. I have developed a severe hearing loss and I am now profound deafness at high frequencies..I think this is linked to my TMJ.

Has anyone else suffered a hearing loss with their TMJ?
I'm sorry to bring a negative post into it, but no-one ever said anything to me and I really wish they had now!

Just make sure that you don't set your expectations of the results too high, or at least make sure with your orthodontist and surgeon every step of the way that you realistically know what is going to change! It's easy when you are already self-conscious about your jaw/smile, and you are having lots of work done on it, to expect big changes. But really the results can be quite subtle, and may not change a lot. I became so focussed on my jaw and op that I convinced myself there would be a whole new me at the end of it! But there wasn't and two years on my confidence is lower than ever and i've needed therapy to help me come to terms with the whole thing. Not saying I regret having the surgery, I don't have an underbite anymore which can only be a good thing- I was just expecting more and just wish I hadn't gotten my hopes up so high beforehand!

Obviously this isn't the case for everybody, just something to bear in mind!
I'm sorry to bring a negative post into it, but no-one ever said anything to me and I really wish they had now!

Just make sure that you don't set your expectations of the results too high, or at least make sure with your orthodontist and surgeon every step of the way that you realistically know what is going to change! It's easy when you are already self-conscious about your jaw/smile, and you are having lots of work done on it, to expect big changes. But really the results can be quite subtle, and may not change a lot. I became so focussed on my jaw and op that I convinced myself there would be a whole new me at the end of it! But there wasn't and two years on my confidence is lower than ever and i've needed therapy to help me come to terms with the whole thing. Not saying I regret having the surgery, I don't have an underbite anymore which can only be a good thing- I was just expecting more and just wish I hadn't gotten my hopes up so high beforehand!

Obviously this isn't the case for everybody, just something to bear in mind!

The problem is, the only time you can really tell is if you look at old photos. Because we look at ourselves everyday - its hard to tell. I can understand what you mean though.

If anyone is interested I can show them the changes its had to me after jaw surgery via PM. Subtle but I look much better, as I have a much more symmetric face.

For anyone going through this, to take a lot of pre jaw photos, and then compare it with new ones.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 118
Hi,

I am 27 and going through the process of jaw surgery. I've had my braces since Oct 11 and still seem a way off surgery as I had 2 teeth out from the bottom and the gaps are still huge! Also when I ask my orthodontist she seems reluctant to say when she thinks I will be ready!

This is the most helpful thing I have come across searching the net! Most of the stuff Ive read are people from US.

I am having top and bottom for open bite, they have to bring my lower forward and my upper back to meet it. I'm really scared off general anaesthetic and my surgeon said the surgery will take 7 hours? Has anyone else had surgery that was that long?

Any replies would be appreciated.
Original post by large1878
Hi,

I am 27 and going through the process of jaw surgery. I've had my braces since Oct 11 and still seem a way off surgery as I had 2 teeth out from the bottom and the gaps are still huge! Also when I ask my orthodontist she seems reluctant to say when she thinks I will be ready!

This is the most helpful thing I have come across searching the net! Most of the stuff Ive read are people from US.

I am having top and bottom for open bite, they have to bring my lower forward and my upper back to meet it. I'm really scared off general anaesthetic and my surgeon said the surgery will take 7 hours? Has anyone else had surgery that was that long?

Any replies would be appreciated.

I had the same thing done, but mine took 4 hours.

Just go for it, your looks will change for the better.

Latest