The Student Room Group

Best MA in creative writing in London?

Does anyone have any thoughts about a good creative writing MA? I've applied to the Kingston MFA, but wondered if people had other thoughts.

I'm a mature student and former scientist who works as a journalist. I live in SW London and I'm looking to do a part-time creative writing MA ideally next year.

I've also looked at Royal Holloway, City, Birkbeck and Roehampton, but they didn't look as attractive as Kingston.

RHUL had too many literary essay modules and Roehampton also seemed too theoretical. The tutors on Birkbeck didn't look as good as Kingston.

City looked brill and I know their journalism courses have an excellent reputation, but the MA is focused on completing your novel. I haven't started planning a novel yet.
Original post by Londonwriter

RHUL had too many literary essay modules

Come again?

I've studied this MA and there aren't that many. Two to be exact (one each semester) and a dissertation over the summer.

That's not that much, tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by tigermoth99
Come again?

I've studied this MA and there aren't that many. Two to be exact (one each semester) and a dissertation over the summer.

That's not that much, tbh.

RHUL is the only creative writing MA that wants to see critical writing, such as an undergraduate English essay, in addition to creative writing (unless I've got this wrong)...

I recognise the importance of reading as a writer and reflecting on others' work, but literary criticism isn't my thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
They are the only creative writing MA that requires submission of critical writing, such as an undergraduate English essay, in addition to creative writing (unless I've got this wrong)...

I recognise the importance of reading as a writer and reflecting on others' work, but literary criticism isn't my thing.

How else would you 'reflect on other people's work', then?:confused:
Reply 4
Original post by hobnob
How else would you 'reflect on other people's work', then?:confused:

Sorry, I think I've been biased against 'academic' analysis due to my experience as an undergraduate. I see literary criticism as answering questions like 'How does the author struggle with his inner self due to the oppression of Thatcherite Britain?' I can't see how answering this sort of question would improve my creative writing or my likelihood of finding a literary agent. If this isn't what literary criticism involves, I'll reassess my prejudices :smile:

When I read as a writer, I think 'How does the writer grab my attention in the introductory paragraph? Can I replicate this in my own work?'

Getting back to the original point - recommendations for creative writing MAs, folks :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Sorry, I think I've been biased against 'academic' analysis due to my experience as an undergraduate. I see literary criticism as answering questions like 'How does the author struggle with his inner self due to the oppression of Thatcherite Britain?' I can't see how answering this sort of question would improve my creative writing or my likelihood of finding a literary agent. If this isn't what literary criticism involves, I'll reassess my prejudices :smile:

When I read as a writer, I think 'How does the writer grab my attention in the introductory paragraph? Can I replicate this in my own work?'

Getting back to the original point - recommendations for creative writing MAs, folks :biggrin:

Oh, right. Well, I think of it more in terms of analysing language and structure (i.e. 'what does this text do, and how exactly does it work?'). And that kind of stuff is helpful for writers to think about, no?
Reply 6
Original post by hobnob
Oh, right. Well, I think of it more in terms of analysing language and structure (i.e. 'what does this text do, and how exactly does it work?'). And that kind of stuff is helpful for writers to think about, no?

That's simply not what literary criticism is though, as far as I understand it.
Reply 7
Original post by milkytea
That's simply not what literary criticism is though, as far as I understand it.

I'd say that yes, it is, or at least forms the foundation from which an analysis will evolve. The relationship between the formal, textual elements of a work and the metatextual level of its 'message' constitute a big part of what literary criticism is and does. No doubt this differs in some cases, though in my experience -based on the last, say, ten or so papers that I read-, the questions of 'what does a text do and how does it do it?' were essential.

Nonetheless, returning to the OP's question, I have heard good things about the Royal Holloway course.
Reply 8
Sorry, I think I've been biased against 'academic' analysis due to my experience as an undergraduate. I see literary criticism as answering questions like 'How does the author struggle with his inner self due to the oppression of Thatcherite Britain?' :biggrin:

That's not literary criticism, that's an undergraduate essay. The difference is enormous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending