The Student Room Group

Why would you go out in public in your pyjamas?

Poll

Have you left the house in your pyjamas?

Supreme and ultimate revision procrastination here, I found this, I LOLLED.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-13511668

A Middlesbrough head teacher has asked parents to get properly dressed before the school run.

It follows sightings of a number of them still wearing their pyjamas when they brought their children to school.

Some people were even attending meetings at Pallister Park Primary school in their nightwear.

This prompted the school's head, Chris Wain, to send out letters to parents urging them to think about what they were wearing.

Ms Wain said: "What we were seeing was people staying in their pyjamas all day.

"They were dropping their children off in the morning and collecting them in the afternoon wearing the same pyjamas."

Outside the school, one parent, accompanied by a friend in slippers, was wearing leggings over her pyjamas.

She said: "I have to cover up otherwise the school goes mad."

In 2007, the principal of a Northern Ireland primary school also reprimanded parents who regularly turned up at the school gate in their pyjamas.

He said the trend set a bad example to pupils and made staff uncomfortable.

It reminds me of:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8484116.stm

When Tesco banned people from shopping in their pyjamas.

So... why? Why would you go out in your pyjamas? Is the act of throwing on a pair of tracksuit bottoms just too much effort? Is having children so exhausting that, despite having managed to get up and feed your children, putting on a pair of new knickers and some trousers just too difficult?

Is it just too much effort? It must take at least 15 seconds to put on a pair of jeans afterall..

Have you ever left the house in your pyjamas? Why? Why not? Do you think it's acceptable? Or do you think people should have some pride?

Edit: :rofl: "I got lovely pairs of pyjamas... you do wear your best pyjamas into the shops, just so you look tidy". http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8485559.stm
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i have done it to a supervision but that involved walking about 3 steps outside and was in protest at the time she had made us get up
Nope, I have to ensure I look decent before I even go into my garden. Somebody may be looking and judging... :erm:
Not yet I haven't. But I'd do it if it was a one off just for a laugh - otherwise, on a regular basis, no. I clearly like to fit in with the norms of society and what not. :tongue:
Reply 4
Yeah, only to the corner shop though :tongue: In my slippers & leggings.
Reply 5
I could imagine if you're a mum you really don't care about being as comfortable as you can to drop the kids off a few minutes away.. but yea still slightly odd
I do morning stuff in my garden in PJs and Ive gone to the shops on the odd occasion! Usually because Im not ready to shower/get up properly but still have to buy something... also, why should I care if someone judges?! ts their error if they assume something of me without understanding the situation!
Reply 7
I remember when my sister went into school in her dressing gown and pjs to pick up her GCSE results.
Reply 8
no probably not
Used to when I was younger. Don't bother now. I don't feel comfortable unless I have a shower in the morning so I figure "Hey, I'll just get changed then." But I do have a habit of wandering around in my dressing gown because it's warm and comfy and red. :biggrin:
I don't understand why these lazy sods dont just skip the middle man and get dressed into proper clothes after getting out of bed.
Reply 11
i'm lazy.

i probably wouldn't go to drop the kids off at school or shop in tesco in my pjs but i will if it's early/late and i just want some bread or something from the corner shop.
Reply 12
I hang the washing out in my PJ's. That is as far as it goes.
I used to all the time, although saying that I wore my abaya over them.
Yesterday I was talking to a policeman down the road in my PJs
Yeah me and my friends from my friend's house to the corner shop and bag. Dressing gowns and all :smile: But I haven't done it on my own ever .... I would think people would look at me strangely. Doesn't matter so much when you'er with mates. It's like stacking it on your own ... cringe.
I wear slippers/flip flops & PJs to take the rubbish out if I've got home from work and have already changed out of work clothes.

I wouldn't have a huge trek in my jim jams though- I'm one of these weird people who don't wear jogging/sports wear unless I'm actually doing sport-which isn't often. :mmm:
Reply 17
Haha I wouldn't wear my pjs in public. If the doorbell rings and I'm not dressed yet, I hide behind the door lol.
I won't even go to another flat in my block without getting dressed, it makes me feel uncomfortable.
Our post goes to the residence office and there's often people there in their pyjamas which is understandable but more than that, well, it's not that hard to put some clothes on.
Though when I'm at home and get forced into taking the dog for his morning walk I put jeans and a hoodie over my pjs so I can go straight back in to bed :biggrin:
Original post by laughylolly
I used to all the time, although saying that I wore my abaya over them.

Why were you wearing an abaya? Your profile doesn't look very... Muslim?

Latest

Trending

Trending