The Student Room Group

Quick question: Can you decline a firm choice?

Hi,
If I firm a uni through UCAS, am I bound to go to that university if i meet the conditions? The point is I am not sure if I will study in the UK at all, so I do not want to accept a firm offer unless it is still possible to "say no" without legal consequences. Can they actually make me go to that university or is it always possible to decide against going there?
Of course you can decline, it's not like anybody can force you to go.
Reply 2
Original post by fretter778
Of course you can decline, it's not like anybody can force you to go.

Are you sure? cause i've to make a decision on my UCAS choices before 7th june. I've applied for some scholarships for which the decisions will be made after this deadline. So as of now i'm not sure if i can fund my studies in the UK. so should i go ahead and make my firm and insurance choices? i mean i can do withdraw my application anytime right?
Reply 3
As far as I know, if you place a Uni as your firm choice and then get the required grades, you are required to attend that Uni, there is no backing down to your insurance.
Original post by ammarnkhan
Are you sure? cause i've to make a decision on my UCAS choices before 7th june. I've applied for some scholarships for which the decisions will be made after this deadline. So as of now i'm not sure if i can fund my studies in the UK. so should i go ahead and make my firm and insurance choices? i mean i can do withdraw my application anytime right?

Yes you can withdraw your application. There was this thread word for word 3 weeks ago...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1627137
Reply 5
There is no legal requirement to attend your firm, and as you are an international (I assume) the UK laws would have no jurisdiction over you. They aren't going to extradite you for something like this :tongue:
There is absolutely no requirement for you to go to university - just phone them and tell them not to expect you. No consequences whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending