The Student Room Group

Will A Uni 'Release' Me?

Hi

To cut a long story short, I have accepted a conditional offer. However, after some deep consideration in a cold and dark room, I have decided it's not really what I want to do.

Now, I understand that me accepting their offer constitutes something of a contract. However, if I were to ring them and ask them very nicely to 'release' me from the course, would they?

Also, as I want to go for another course in clearing, would it be wise to ring up the other uni's and ask them if they would have me BEFORE I actually ring up my accepted course and ask them to let me go, bearing in mind I wouldn't actually be in clearing at that moment? (If that makes any sense to you!)

Thanks
You can ring them and ask to be released. This will not happen instantly.

You need a Clearing number to talk to unis in Clearing, because it enables them to access your UCAS details, but you won't get a number until you've been released into Clearing. A university will not give a verbal offer without having your Clearing number.
Yes, ring before you get released.
And it shouldn't be a problem getting released.
Oooh you should have done this quite a while ago! Certainly not so close to the big day. Basically on the day of Results universities will be so overwhelmed with distraught candidates' pleading, nagging parents, teachers, clearing and trying to tie up all the loose ends to focus on that one candidate that does not want to go there anymore. In short: you might not be a priority and you need to be quick in Clearing. Call them as soon as possible.

They won't have a problem releasing you though. Or rejecting? I'm not sure what the correct word is. Good luck anyway. :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you all for the advice.

Have now given them a ring and they have kindly agreed to release me.

Thanks!
Reply 5
Quick question. You said they have released you after you called them, do you have a clearing number now or will that take much longer?

Im planning on doing the same thing as you but i dont want to be released until I at least call my clearing choices tomorrow.
Reply 6
Original post by vitafit
Quick question. You said they have released you after you called them, do you have a clearing number now or will that take much longer?

Im planning on doing the same thing as you but i dont want to be released until I at least call my clearing choices tomorrow.

They said they'll have it done for me tomorrow so I'm assuming I'll get the clearing number tomorrow.
Track will not update today until 8am tomorrow, so you will not get a Clearing number until tomorrow.
I'm in this situation! I don't think I'm going to get the grades to get into my first choice, which I don't want anymore anyways, and I don't particularly want to go to my second choice, and I've seen that Manchester Metropolitan do a course which I'm interested in and have vacancies through Clearing. But I'm worried about the risks. What if by the time I'm released the spaces from Manchester are gone? Or I don't get into Manchester and am left with nothing. Anyone have any advice? Or inspiring speeches/stories?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending