The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When it was 2 o'clock on day three and our map reader had told us we had done all our climbing when we got to this point and then after asking the advice of a keen walker he just turns round and goes you've got a hell of a long way to go! and my friend kate turns round and goes 'for ****s sake i feel like a ****ing mountain goat' and walks off!!
There was the time when one of us feel in the river!!
Reply 21
I'm hoping to do it this year, if I have half as many stories as you guys, I can't wait!
I think the ambulance service got called out no less than 3 times during that trip.

My boots weren't waterproof and our path had been eroded by a small river..hence we had to walk along/in the river. My feet got literally soaked and to solve the waterproofing problem I lined my shoes with carrier bags, but by the end of the trip they had become snagged and torn and when I walked through tesco on the way back...I got some proper dodgy looks :wink:
There was the time when after walking for about 8 hours and getting thoroughly lost..we got to within 25 metres of the campsite, before turning to wrong way and walking a mile in the opposite direction before asking a kindly dog walker who walked back with us till we safely reached the campsite as the sun set.
Reply 24
After leaving the Army, I trained as a Mountain Leader under the erroneous assumption that I'd be taking giggly groups of gawjus VI Form girls on their DoE round the hills.

I ended up with groups of old Chinese people, some young offenders, a few church groups and a party from Gamblers Anonymous. I jacked it in after that.
Reply 25
double post..!

please delete!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
not funny.. but on my silver in france, the girls were getting to hot and felt it necessary to walk in just their bras.. quite possibly the most motivational image ever.

other moments include getting severely lost, taking advice from people who dont speak the same language as you, just the general banter really, one moment actually when my mate had this £70 jet boiler and it just wouldnt work, and our £2 cookers did the job greatly. im laughing about it now :L

fair play.. with the right people i'd do it all again..! i loved it so much
Reply 27
My fondest/most bizarre memories:

going past an ostrich farm

scaling a fence to avoid a puddle

getting stuck in a field with cows and horses in which the horses stood blocking the gate

having to walk through a corn field

having to walk through a field filled with sheep

seeing a sheep getting killed by a gypsies' dog and then the gypsies dumping the body of the sheep in the forest

then asking them for directions because we were completely lost and they were the only living souls in sight (except for the sheep and dog)

walking down a road which had no end and started seeing mirages after a while

getting stuck in a field with a seemingly wild horse

and having to walk down a narrow path with stinging nettles and barking dogs on one side and an electric fence and horses on the other

Ah Duke of Edinburgh holds my best memories from secondary school :rolleyes: I had so much fun bar the having to carry a very heavy backpack, getting drenched in the rain and walking for miles and miles
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mandy92
My fondest/most bizarre memories:

going past an ostrich farm

scaling a fence to avoid a puddle

getting stuck in a field with cows and horses

seeing a sheep getting killed by a gypsies' dog and then the gypsies dumping the body of the sheep in the forest

walking down a road which had no end and started seeing mirages after a while

getting stuck in a field with a seemingly wild horse

having to walk through a corn field

and having to walk through a field filled with sheep

Ah Duke of Edinburgh holds my best memories from secondary school :rolleyes: I had so much fun bar the having to carry a very heavy backpack, getting drenched in the rain and walking for miles and miles

Haha we went past an ostrich farm as well, I'd forgotten about that :lol:
Original post by Simon117
So UCL accept anyone with three As?

Lol of course not. What do you think we are? King's? :tongue:
Reply 30
On the Silver Exped, walking up the side of a "very" steep hill, realising half way up, we should be going up the hill on the other side of the valley, deciding to keep going and try and cross when we reached the top. Turns out we couldn't so we walked a bit further and came across a moto cross camp. In the end, we had to walk all the way back down and back up. We still came into the camp third so wasn't all that bad!
Reply 31
Original post by Computerised
Lol of course not. What do you think we are? King's? :tongue:

That was my point mate. Of course a uni like UCL look beyond As.
Original post by Simon117
That was my point mate. Of course a uni like UCL look beyond As.

Oh right I get you now.
Maybe they want to see only extracurricular stuff related to the subject?
Reply 33
On our Bronze DOE we had a couple of funny incidents, the first was the classic being chased by a huge bull. Kinda scary at the time but heck. Next was when our group we tried to take a short cut and ended up finding this abandoned car in the woods, we were bored so thought we could hot wire it!! It was unlocked and got the lights on but couldn't get it started so the others thought it was funny to smash the lights and the windows with sticks and stuff I guess it was funny at the time seeing as we were all guys ah well immature. The next thing was when we were walking down this steep ish muddy rocky track and one of my friends thought it would be funny to try and beat everyone down so he ran off and went went faster and faster until he faceplanted the ground in slow motion!
Then it was the usual spin the bottle antics around the tents etc
However, the funniest thing on the Silver DOE was when we were early to the finish checkpoint so our group leader (an old hippy teacher) chucked us all a fat cuban cigar and bundled us in his car and we spent the rest of the evening with him ordering pints at the local pub cos we were too young to buy them at that point, was funny as cos it was just us 5 lads having a right laugh after a ****ty weekend walking miles!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Was funny on our gold expedition after we had been dismissed at the end we had only 45 minutes to cover 2 miles to reach our train.

4 of our group ran at like 8km/h to try and make it while me and a friend went and got a taxi from a hotel. We saw the rest of our group frantically running and we just shouted "Cya" out the window and they were so pissed off.

Got to the train station with a half hour to spare and chilled with a coke and a pizza. With one minute before the train was about to depart the rest of our group arrived dripping with sweat and they absolutely reeked!

Even funnier antics on the train when a guy from our group called "J" got on the train without the right ticket, threw his bag in the middle of the aisle and went and sat in first class haha. The trolley guy then ran over his bag with the trolley and his platipus exploded and leaked through the entire carriage and he got kicked off LOL
We got chased by a horse and had to climb over a fence and shimmy along nearly 200m. This was WITH our assessor!

We went 10km in the wrong direction and some man in his garden asked if we needed any help and started helping us and then said, 'look you are so far off the map, shall I just drive you nearer?' We were SO tempted! Needless to say we were the last ones back.

Cooking on a trangier with no lighter/matches :///

A girl in our group getting diarrhoea. Bad times.

Sitting down to eat lunch in a 'nice grassy spot' only to see a golf ball go flying past and realising we were on a golf course! I don't think we'd run away so quickly.

I'm quite surprised we still passed tbh.
Reply 36
One of the groups on Bronze DofE managed to break their compasses because they were all carrying those magnetic FCUK make up pods in the same pouch as the compasses.
I fell into a ditch full of liquid mud and sheep **** and then spent the whole day walking stiff-legged as it dried.
Reply 37
I was hoping some of these stories would actually involve the Duke of Edinburgh.
Reply 38
Original post by fortunecookie
We got chased by a horse and had to climb over a fence and shimmy along nearly 200m. This was WITH our assessor!

We went 10km in the wrong direction and some man in his garden asked if we needed any help and started helping us and then said, 'look you are so far off the map, shall I just drive you nearer?' We were SO tempted! Needless to say we were the last ones back.

Cooking on a trangier with no lighter/matches :///

A girl in our group getting diarrhoea. Bad times.

Sitting down to eat lunch in a 'nice grassy spot' only to see a golf ball go flying past and realising we were on a golf course! I don't think we'd run away so quickly.

I'm quite surprised we still passed tbh.

Brilliant :rofl:
In our Gold we our assessor arrived in time to see us pick the WRONG place to descend a mountain, so we basically slid down the slope on our bums and then rock climb back up another one. She was watching was from a spot height near us and said when she say us she was almost praying that we had parachutes. Then she took us to her minibus and drove us to camp.
Reply 39
A cow charged at me :')

Latest