The Student Room Group

Student Finance paid my money in a foreign account

For some reason I logged into my student finance account, found out my bank details have been changed (even from previous payments) and consequently I have not recieved my first loan and grant instalments!!!!

A Student finance member tried to say I changed the details to my ''old'' bank details because he saw that the bank details from the previous payments had been changed to this foreign account. When I say foreign, I mean fraudalent, unknown account that I do not know of. However, little do they know when you log onto the website you are given the option to change your bank details from previous payments received (how retarded)...

Currently they are investigating... anyone been in this situation?

Scroll to see replies

I'd be happy if Student Finance sent my money into any account. Seriously guys, hurry up!
Reply 2
why are they so ****?
Reply 3
Happened to me today. Someone changed my bank account number 10 days ago. To do that, they must've gained access to my secret answer and my bank account details. I phoned up student finance and they put me through to special investigations. The woman said their department has been completely snowed over with reports of this and that it's happened to a lot of people. I think someone has managed to find a loophole in student finance security, because I've never written down my secret answer anywhere and it's unlikely they'd have guessed it.

To change bank details, they must already have your full account number and sort code, because only the last 3 digits of the account number and the last two digits of your sort code are visible on student finance. They told me they'll call me in a week while they investigate this, so I've got no money to live on until then. I suggest everyone who has yet to wait for their loan to come through check their student finance bank details and ensure they're correct.
oh christ :facepalm2: i better check mine..
Reply 5
Original post by JDower
Happened to me today. Someone changed my bank account number 10 days ago. To do that, they must've gained access to my secret answer and my bank account details. I phoned up student finance and they put me through to special investigations. The woman said their department has been completely snowed over with reports of this and that it's happened to a lot of people. I think someone has managed to find a loophole in student finance security, because I've never written down my secret answer anywhere and it's unlikely they'd have guessed it.

To change bank details, they must already have your full account number and sort code, because only the last 3 digits of the account number and the last two digits of your sort code are visible on student finance. They told me they'll call me in a week while they investigate this, so I've got no money to live on until then. I suggest everyone who has yet to wait for their loan to come through check their student finance bank details and ensure they're correct.

this is truly appalling. you would think that these people would email you to confirm that you wanted to change your bank details...

:bear:
Reply 6
Original post by JDower

Wow that is awful. I will check mine.
My bank details were changed as well! After 20 minutes on the phone to slc they managed to change it back, but have blocked the account until I change the passwords on my sf account and my e-mail account. Luckily they sent me a text this morning saying someone had changed the details, but I should be fine as it wasn't due to come in til monday which is when registration is anyway...
Reply 8
Original post by No Future
Wow that is awful. I will check mine.

Same going to do it now :frown:
Reply 9
I think I'll make a thread warning everyone to check their details, it's truly appalling that student finance don't send an email to let you know that your bank details have been changed.
Mine seems ok?
I will keep an eye on it.
Original post by JDower
I think I'll make a thread warning everyone to check their details, it's truly appalling that student finance don't send an email to let you know that your bank details have been changed.

Totally agree
Reply 12
Yeah just rang, because I had been locked out of my account totally online (which he couldn't explain), but also asked about this scam and he said they had only just heard of it today - but he seemed to think it was from when people replied to an email from SFE but it was actually a fake.
Reply 13
Yup, I think I've found out how. I got my details phished, anyone who got this email, check the hyphen in the student-finance in the sender. If there's a hyphen, it's fake. Also check the hyperlink, it doesn't lead to the student finance website:

The hyperlink was to a fake website that was pretty convincing. So I basically handed all my details out on a silver platter after seeing the email was from direct.gov.uk

I can't believe I fell for this.
Reply 14
I got a text this morning about having changed my bank details :confused:
Turns out nothing had changed, after calling and being on hold forever.... stoopid student finance. Man on the phone sounded stressed out though, he said loads of people were calling today about exactly the same thing
Reply 15
Original post by JDower

Wow, they made it sound like I was the only one, thanks for the input. They said they're considering a manual payment for me in the mean time.
Reply 16
Original post by JDower
Yup, I think I've found out how. I got my details phished, anyone who got this email, check the hyphen in the student-finance in the sender. If there's a hyphen, it's fake. Also check the hyperlink, it doesn't lead to the student finance website:

The hyperlink was to a fake website that was pretty convincing. So I basically handed all my details out on a silver platter after seeing the email was from direct.gov.uk

I can't believe I fell for this.

I think I fell for this too you know :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Oh dear.
Basic inernet nouse ignored
NEVER respond to e mails from anyone involved financially with you.
Original post by JDower

They sent me a text to let me know, and have been for others...
Reply 19
I just got the text:

'Our records indicate that your bank details on your student finance account were changed yesterday. If you did not do this, please contact us immediately.'

I logged in to my account and my bank details hadn't been changed :confused:

Is this a scam? i don't know what to think?!?

Latest

Trending

Trending