The Student Room Group

Childcare Grant Application Nightmare - Any advice???

Hi, I just wondered if anyone has had similar problems to me with regard to their application for Childcare Grant- partly because I want to know if anyone else feels my pain(!!) and partly because I'm hoping somebody might have some pearls of wisdom????

I originally applied for CCG in July at the same time as my Student Loan app was submitted. After I had not heard anything for a number of weeks I contacted SFE only to be told I had mistakenly submitted the 10/11 CCG form rather than the 11/12. I resubmitted with the correct form and supporting documents, these were received and 'scanned in' on 11/08/11. Since then I have lived a constant cycle of chasing a response-being fobbed off-chasing again-being told I will be contacted etc etc etc.

I won't bore you with all the details but in summary I have spoken to 18 different people, most of which have been pleasant, some of which have been inaccurate and all of which have seemingly been unable to rectify the 'problem' (whatever the problem is, I have no idea). I have been told on numerous occasions that my application has been sent to the Special Support Team (the name is so ironic it makes me laugh). I was told it was received by them on 05/09/11, then a couple of weeks later I was told they had not yet seen it - then I spoke with a very helpful gentleman (who happened to work in the hallowed Darlington Office) who called my case notes 'a war zone' who told me to resend my application to him via e mail. I did this and he reponded by saying he had personally sent it to the SST and they had assured him someone would contact me within days. After not hearing anything once again I contacted SFE again (also tried e mailing the helpful gent again) but it is no use, I am being given the standard response that there are no supervisors available to speak to, the SST do not take direct calls and the Darlington office would not be able to shed any further light on the subject. Apparently the SST have been 'tasked' again and again to request that they call me to discuss the matter. They are apparently 'very busy' and are working on apps received on 04/10/11......yet mine was received by them on 05/09.....!!!!!!!!!
I am now in the situation where (because I was lead to believe that we would get CCG - although I now know that I should not have trusted anyone who works for SFE as the organisation is so badly managed) my 2 children are in nursery and our bill is £400 a month and set to rise when I start placements next term. We have no money to pay this and no alternative- I can't drop out of my course (which I would have to do if they say we're not eligible for anything) until I get a definitive answer from them but we are facing mounting childcare costs and a very bleak Christmas as literally every penny we have will be going towards childcare.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What was the outcome? Does anyone know a rough guideline for thresholds for eligibilty? I have asked SFE but they say they can't give an answer as every case is assessed individually.

Has anyone got any advice of how I could help get a decision?? I have already submitted a written complaint.

Any help or advice would be unbelievably welcome.
Thank you xxx
Reply 1
student finance are a flippin nightmare!We are awaiting to hear if we have been awarded the childcare grant and with christmas coming up and high childcare bills we are really stressed at the moment! Its hard not knowing if you are eligible or not while the cost of childcare keeps adding up. My original form for the PLA was lost, didnt find out until weeks later, had to do another one and apparently something was missing from it, so had to send it in again. I have no advice but to just hang in there. I dont want to think about if were not awarded! Sorry cant be of anymore help :frown:
Reply 2
Hi,

No good news I'm afraid, just thought I'd share my story. We got CCG and Parents Learning Allowance last year on account of earnings of £12000, but this year were not awarded anything on the estimated income of £15,000, which seems a bit ridiculous as a quick search of other forums shows people on much higher wages and their partners have been awarded it! So am ringing them back tomorrow to get some firm answers or going to my MP

I have been chasing this now for about 4 weeks, and am in the same position as you, facing a very, VERY bleak Christmas as we also thought we're be awarded CCG and PLA.

Have you made any headway on your claim?
Hello,

Dependants grants such as CCG are assesed on your income yes but they're also assesed on what obligations you have. For argument sake someone who is earning more than you may also have double the rent to pay etc. It depends on what SFE has worked out your residual income is, which is your total income minus your obligations = your residual income. I know you probely don't want to ring SFE again but make sure you ask what income they're assesing you on and if they have taken any of this into account.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
If you are struggling to pay your child care costs, you could apply to you uni's access to learning fund & they may be able to loan you something until your grant is sorted.
Reply 5
@tinkerson Yes! I knew it! I thought surely I must not be the only parent having the same problems with the ridiculous system that is the student finance england childcare grant! It's an absolute joke!

I am too experiencing the same made to jump through hoops and fobbed off attitude from student finance regarding my childcare grant. Over the last few months I have provided them with everything they have asked for, I have explained my situation in letters, I have phoned them, I have even contacted the complaints department on several occasions, and I even got my university involved.

I have been told I would be phoned back (but not called back), and have wasted days (and valuable study time) writing emails, letters and on the phone trying to get this sorted out. It is also one of the contributing factors of my emotional stress, which is affecting my ability to get work done.

I have fallen behind with assignment work and have needed to complete a mitigating circumstances form and arrange appointments with the student counsellor to stop me losing the plot completely!

I have come close to leaving my course, it has made me think long and hard about continuing on to do the Hons year and is just not acceptable as far as I am concerned. I should not be this far into my course trying to sort this out when the workload is so high and demanding, especially when juggling parental responsibility and a part time job, as well as running a home.

I submitted my original application back in September last year (2011), as soon as I knew what my hours of lessons would be at university, and still have not been paid a penny, and in fact am no further in my claim than I was at the end of last year!

I am now in the second year of my course but only got as far as printing off the form in the first year, and with the distraction of starting university amongst other things, I completely forgot to put my claim in. So this year I decided that if help was there which I was entitled to, then of course I should take it. As a single parent of two (now 9 & 5) with a house and car to run (like everyone else with constantly soaring bills and costs) any help that is out there while studying is much appreciated.

I have a complicated contact arrangement with my son, and therefore any form filling which involves dates is a nightmare, I also work one day per week. So I thought to make it clear when I completed my first form, I attached a weekly breakdown in costs in a spreadsheet for my son and daughter, highlighting costs that would not be for days I am at university.

This is where the problems began. I was told that they could not accept this, and that the information had to be on the form. I said, but this is only estimated costs and I can't fit it all on the form? And they said well just put an average.

I did this, and returned the form. At the end of January I received my first CCG2 form, which I gave to the childminer to complete for both children. I returned it with figures for both periods because after complaining to someone on the phone at student finance I was told to just forget period one, and just put down what you have paid up to date (which included period 2).

A few weeks later I received a letter, saying that I needed to provide student finance with documentation for child benefit and child tax credit for my son. I phoned SFE and said but I have told you from the beginning, I don't receive these, my ex partner does, he is not reasonable and will not give me this documentation.

I was told to put this information in a letter, which I did immediately (6th Feb 2012). I said but this has nothing to do with my daughter's claim? so what is the problem with her payments? and was told that because they were on the same claim that until I provide docs for my son, the claim will not be processed. So I said take my son off the claim then, and just process for Kaitlyn for now.

I was told to submit information for my daughter's costs again, with my son's costs removed, so I took a copy of the page with the dates and got the childminder to fill in just for my daughter's costs. I returned this with a cover letter on 9th Feb 2012.

I am in the process of going to court, and am applying for legal aid, so I was contacted by the legal services commission asking me for what I would be entitled to in childcare grant, so I thought I would chase it up because I hadn't heard anything for a while.

I could not believe it when I was told that they were waiting for a CCG2 form for Kaitlyn, I said, but you haven't sent me a CCG2 form? I said I have sent you information from the childminder which was a copy of the sheet and the guy said, yeah I can see this in front of me now. I said right, so why haven't you processed the claim then? He said because it is not on a CCG2 form, so they can't accept it.

I said BUT YOU DID NOT SEND ME A CCG2 FORM?! I sent you a letter with the information to speed up the process. Anyway, after a rant to the guy I said right can you send me a bloody CCG2 form, this is just unacceptable, I want someone higher up to deal with this, it's ridiculous.

I was told that a manager was not available right now, but would give me a call later, or on the Monday between 10 and 2. I said no one has informed me that you could not accept what I had sent in for my daughter, no one has written to me or sent a CCG2 form and this is so stressful that I have had to get my university involved!

Monday came and went, no call back, so I contacted the complaints department. Was told that it would be investigated because I should have received a call back on the same day, so would find out who was responsible and try to get it sorted as soon as possible.

While on the phone I checked that they had all info that I had sent them, he said no information about my daughters costs on the record, so while on the phone I sent the copy (which I had scanned before sending) and he confirmed that he had received my email attachment with the information required to pass on to the special support team. I was told it would be passed onto the special support team and should be sorted out really soon. I also pointed out that I still had not received the CCG2 form to complete for my daughter which they were waiting for!

After a week I had not heard anything so I phoned again out of curiosity. I was told that the guy who had dealt with me wasn't in today, so she would get her manager to phone me back. I missed the call when I was helping my daughter in the toilet, but there was an answerphone message left saying that if she could not contact me by the end of the day, that she would send me an email. Well surprise surprise, no call and no email.

On Friday (30th March 2012), when I was at work, I had two missed calls from student finance. The answerphone message said you have to fully complete three CCG2 forms which I have sent out for you today for your daughter, sorry but we cannot accept what you have sent in. She left a number so I phoned, but it went to answerphone. So I left a message to call me back.

We are now in April 2012, my course finishes in June, and after my call today from student finance I have been informed that I now need to complete two full CCG2 forms for my daughter, because they cannot accept both periods figures on a single CCG2 form, despite being told to do this by a representative on the phone from student finance because it had taken so long to sort out, so don't worry put for both on the same form.

I have also been told that because I do not receive child benefit and child tax credit for my son, long story, that my court order with contact days I have my son and the CCG2 information for costs related to childcare for my son (from a registered child minder) may not be enough to accept as enough evidence to prove that I am financially responsible for my son when studying!

I said but that is ridiculous! You have received the information for period one and two for Kailtyn because I was told to ignore that and put in the information right up to the date I was sending it (which was the end of January and therefore both periods together). She then tried to blame me for taking too long to send the information in, which I said NO! I have done everything I can to make sure you have all the information you needed for the claim when you asked for it as you can see from what I have sent in!

She said the system did not work like that, first period has to be processed before the second period can. I said but I was told to do that because of the problems and the fact that it had taken so long to sort out.

She said sorry, but they can't accept that single page with the information for my daughter for the costs for both periods either, it has to be the COMPLETE FORM. For each period.

I went on to say how crap the system is, that it is not user friendly at all. When you submit the estimates the dates bear no relation to the dates which you submit when you put your actual costs in. In the estimated costs form it is broken down into 6 sections, in terms, but the actual costs is 3 periods which have nothing to do with terms. I said it is confusing when trying to complete the forms!

I also raised the point that my complaint questions had not been addressed at all, there had been some serious mistakes made along the way, and said why is it that when I made the call, when I was chasing in up for my legal aid, I was told I would be sent the CCG2 form for my daughter that they were so called waiting for but it still has not arrived? that was months ago! And it was only the fact that I was chasing up the claim for legal aid info that the problem was identified in the first place?

I said no one sent me a letter to say you cannot accept that info I had sent in for my daughter, no phone call, no email or no letters. It was just left, and if I hadn't chased it up how much longer would it have just been left to run? Would it have been addressed at all or just to the point that it would be too late to claim?!

I feel completely let down by this system. It is way too complicated and has caused me to lose so much time when I should be studying and doing assignment work, on the phone, writing emails, and contacting you. I am dreading going through this whole process again as I have been accepted onto the Hons Year as long as I pass the course with 55%, and will have to do this all again for another two years. The thought is really putting me off!

So after all the complaints, phone calls, emails, university of Bath Student Services involvement and stress I am no further on in my claim than I was at the start of the course. Really not happy and feel that some kind of investigation needs to take place into the my claim. I am really not satisfied with the response I have had from the complaints department, and I feel that I am probably not the only student to have experienced this amount of difficulty when trying to get help towards costs when studying as a single parent.

The student finance rep tried to tell me that the system was complicated and was subject to lots of fraud, and I said but it's not! it is your system that has made it unnecessarily complicated! All you need is estimated cost of childcare, then information from the childminder as to actual costs! Student loans and grants is done online, and that is just as susceptible to fraud! But I have not had any problems with that! She said well that is why it is paper based, because it is difficult to handle.

Sounds like they are trying their best to make it as difficult as possible to me so that people just give up because it's just too much hassle.
I feel completely let down by the whole system. I said no where on the information about student finance does it say if you are not in receipt of child tax credit or child benefit will you not be entitled to claim.

I have contacted the ombudsman today (0845 073 8908), I want my claim investigated by an independent assessor, they are going to write to student finance. As far as I am concerned there has been mistake after mistake and someone needs to take responsibility for their actions.

e.g. in the student finance information from student finance england (January 2011
ISBN 978-1-907246-16-6
SFE/CCGB/V11)
It states that you will be sent a CCG2 form at the end of each term to complete and return... (erm not in my experience!)

It says "You can apply for a Childcare Grant if you are a full-time undergraduate student and you have at least one dependent child who is under 15 and in registered or approved childcare"

It does say If you, your husband, wife or partner gets the childcare part of Working Tax Credit, you won’t be able to get a Childcare Grant as well. (But I am a single parent and don't get tax credits for my son, so surely this means that this does not apply to me? (I don't know what my EX partner receives, and he won't provide me with information either.)

My main argument is that NO WHERE in the information does it say if you are not in receipt of child tax credit or child benefit for your child your claim will be a long and drawn out almost impossible time wasting exercise and your decision will be based upon what someone decides, and not on factual information that you provide as an alternative such as court order and information from the accredited registered child minder (who also has better things to do with her time than keep completing the same information over and over again).

After this I am e-mailing watchdog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/ )and my local mp. I have already ranted about this on my university blog to warn other parents considering going back into education.

I feel that it is my responsibility to shout about this ridiculous complicated system to anyone that will listen in the hope that it will be sorted for future students.

This system needs sorting it's a complete shambles and some accountability is required to get things in order.

By the way tinkerson, best of luck to you with your claim, hope you get some help soon.
Hello jnkmamma,

Take a look at the link below for more information on dependants grants:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171503

It states that you need to send 'Evidence of YOUR child dependant'

Evidence to prove you have a child dependant is needed. Child dependant evidence can include:
•P60s (hand-written P60s are not acceptable)
•Child Benefit details (including the name of the child)
•family tax credit details (usually the whole Tax Credit Award Notification (TCAN) form - this needs to be dated after 6 April 2009)
•child's original birth certificate

On a 'Child Benefit' letter or 'Child Tax Credit Award Notice' it names the claimant i.e the person who the child is dependant on, which the student needs to send to Student Finance England (SFE) to prove that the child is dependant on themselves.

Simply, if you are not named on either of these documents you cannot claim for Childcare Grant (CCG) or the Parental Learning Allowance (PLA) as SFE use these to determine eligibility for these two grants.

From what you have said above you will not be entitled to either of these grants unless you are the one who claims the tax credits or child benefit before the end of your course either as a single or joint claim.

I hope this helps. I appreciate being given wrong advice is a nightmare but really your only options are to make a complaint about the advice you have been given as oppose to eligibility for the extra grants, if you see what i mean.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi jnk mamma.
I was a f/t student until June 2011. I claimed CCG. And I agree totally. The system is extremely badly run. They are now trying to chase me for £388 which I am absolutely sure I do not owe. When I contacted them, which like you I have done MANY TIMES, they couldn't explain it and I asked for a copy of my last CCG2 to prove I owed money. The previous 2 I had copies of but sadly toward the end of my degree I was less organised. They have not sent me one. Because I has similar problems with 'lost' forms the year before I wrote to guardian money and they investigated for me. Funnily enough I heard nothing else about it and that was over a similar amount...
The guardian gave me the number of the woman who dealt with it (ie. wrote it off?) which I rang in February re. the last amount. She said that she had access to and could SEE my CCG2 from that period and that she would email it to me!!! Ah but guess what happened... NOTHING!!
I did try writing again to the same paper but no reply.
I reckon there are many of us. I was just glad that I didn't need/ use full time childcare. Really it is shameful. It is almost as if the government/ SF is deliberately rubbish with this!
So, I am wondering how to deal with the latest demand for the £300 odd quid, which I don't have!
I think I will ring that woman again but am a little peturbed about how to speak to her. I mean! I could explode with anger, all the worry and wasted time I've had when I need/ed it least!
We could start up a protest group.

Original post by jnkmamma
@tinkerson Yes! I knew it! I thought surely I must not be the only parent having the same problems with the ridiculous system that is the student finance england childcare grant! It's an absolute joke!

I am too experiencing the same made to jump through hoops and fobbed off attitude from student finance regarding my childcare grant. Over the last few months I have provided them with everything they have asked for, I have explained my situation in letters, I have phoned them, I have even contacted the complaints department on several occasions, and I even got my university involved.

I have been told I would be phoned back (but not called back), and have wasted days (and valuable study time) writing emails, letters and on the phone trying to get this sorted out. It is also one of the contributing factors of my emotional stress, which is affecting my ability to get work done.

I have fallen behind with assignment work and have needed to complete a mitigating circumstances form and arrange appointments with the student counsellor to stop me losing the plot completely!

I have come close to leaving my course, it has made me think long and hard about continuing on to do the Hons year and is just not acceptable as far as I am concerned. I should not be this far into my course trying to sort this out when the workload is so high and demanding, especially when juggling parental responsibility and a part time job, as well as running a home.

I submitted my original application back in September last year (2011), as soon as I knew what my hours of lessons would be at university, and still have not been paid a penny, and in fact am no further in my claim than I was at the end of last year!

I am now in the second year of my course but only got as far as printing off the form in the first year, and with the distraction of starting university amongst other things, I completely forgot to put my claim in. So this year I decided that if help was there which I was entitled to, then of course I should take it. As a single parent of two (now 9 & 5) with a house and car to run (like everyone else with constantly soaring bills and costs) any help that is out there while studying is much appreciated.

I have a complicated contact arrangement with my son, and therefore any form filling which involves dates is a nightmare, I also work one day per week. So I thought to make it clear when I completed my first form, I attached a weekly breakdown in costs in a spreadsheet for my son and daughter, highlighting costs that would not be for days I am at university.

This is where the problems began. I was told that they could not accept this, and that the information had to be on the form. I said, but this is only estimated costs and I can't fit it all on the form? And they said well just put an average.

I did this, and returned the form. At the end of January I received my first CCG2 form, which I gave to the childminer to complete for both children. I returned it with figures for both periods because after complaining to someone on the phone at student finance I was told to just forget period one, and just put down what you have paid up to date (which included period 2).

A few weeks later I received a letter, saying that I needed to provide student finance with documentation for child benefit and child tax credit for my son. I phoned SFE and said but I have told you from the beginning, I don't receive these, my ex partner does, he is not reasonable and will not give me this documentation.

I was told to put this information in a letter, which I did immediately (6th Feb 2012). I said but this has nothing to do with my daughter's claim? so what is the problem with her payments? and was told that because they were on the same claim that until I provide docs for my son, the claim will not be processed. So I said take my son off the claim then, and just process for Kaitlyn for now.

I was told to submit information for my daughter's costs again, with my son's costs removed, so I took a copy of the page with the dates and got the childminder to fill in just for my daughter's costs. I returned this with a cover letter on 9th Feb 2012.

I am in the process of going to court, and am applying for legal aid, so I was contacted by the legal services commission asking me for what I would be entitled to in childcare grant, so I thought I would chase it up because I hadn't heard anything for a while.

I could not believe it when I was told that they were waiting for a CCG2 form for Kaitlyn, I said, but you haven't sent me a CCG2 form? I said I have sent you information from the childminder which was a copy of the sheet and the guy said, yeah I can see this in front of me now. I said right, so why haven't you processed the claim then? He said because it is not on a CCG2 form, so they can't accept it.

I said BUT YOU DID NOT SEND ME A CCG2 FORM?! I sent you a letter with the information to speed up the process. Anyway, after a rant to the guy I said right can you send me a bloody CCG2 form, this is just unacceptable, I want someone higher up to deal with this, it's ridiculous.

I was told that a manager was not available right now, but would give me a call later, or on the Monday between 10 and 2. I said no one has informed me that you could not accept what I had sent in for my daughter, no one has written to me or sent a CCG2 form and this is so stressful that I have had to get my university involved!

Monday came and went, no call back, so I contacted the complaints department. Was told that it would be investigated because I should have received a call back on the same day, so would find out who was responsible and try to get it sorted as soon as possible.

While on the phone I checked that they had all info that I had sent them, he said no information about my daughters costs on the record, so while on the phone I sent the copy (which I had scanned before sending) and he confirmed that he had received my email attachment with the information required to pass on to the special support team. I was told it would be passed onto the special support team and should be sorted out really soon. I also pointed out that I still had not received the CCG2 form to complete for my daughter which they were waiting for!

After a week I had not heard anything so I phoned again out of curiosity. I was told that the guy who had dealt with me wasn't in today, so she would get her manager to phone me back. I missed the call when I was helping my daughter in the toilet, but there was an answerphone message left saying that if she could not contact me by the end of the day, that she would send me an email. Well surprise surprise, no call and no email.

On Friday (30th March 2012), when I was at work, I had two missed calls from student finance. The answerphone message said you have to fully complete three CCG2 forms which I have sent out for you today for your daughter, sorry but we cannot accept what you have sent in. She left a number so I phoned, but it went to answerphone. So I left a message to call me back.

We are now in April 2012, my course finishes in June, and after my call today from student finance I have been informed that I now need to complete two full CCG2 forms for my daughter, because they cannot accept both periods figures on a single CCG2 form, despite being told to do this by a representative on the phone from student finance because it had taken so long to sort out, so don't worry put for both on the same form.

I have also been told that because I do not receive child benefit and child tax credit for my son, long story, that my court order with contact days I have my son and the CCG2 information for costs related to childcare for my son (from a registered child minder) may not be enough to accept as enough evidence to prove that I am financially responsible for my son when studying!

I said but that is ridiculous! You have received the information for period one and two for Kailtyn because I was told to ignore that and put in the information right up to the date I was sending it (which was the end of January and therefore both periods together). She then tried to blame me for taking too long to send the information in, which I said NO! I have done everything I can to make sure you have all the information you needed for the claim when you asked for it as you can see from what I have sent in!

She said the system did not work like that, first period has to be processed before the second period can. I said but I was told to do that because of the problems and the fact that it had taken so long to sort out.

She said sorry, but they can't accept that single page with the information for my daughter for the costs for both periods either, it has to be the COMPLETE FORM. For each period.

I went on to say how crap the system is, that it is not user friendly at all. When you submit the estimates the dates bear no relation to the dates which you submit when you put your actual costs in. In the estimated costs form it is broken down into 6 sections, in terms, but the actual costs is 3 periods which have nothing to do with terms. I said it is confusing when trying to complete the forms!

I also raised the point that my complaint questions had not been addressed at all, there had been some serious mistakes made along the way, and said why is it that when I made the call, when I was chasing in up for my legal aid, I was told I would be sent the CCG2 form for my daughter that they were so called waiting for but it still has not arrived? that was months ago! And it was only the fact that I was chasing up the claim for legal aid info that the problem was identified in the first place?

I said no one sent me a letter to say you cannot accept that info I had sent in for my daughter, no phone call, no email or no letters. It was just left, and if I hadn't chased it up how much longer would it have just been left to run? Would it have been addressed at all or just to the point that it would be too late to claim?!

I feel completely let down by this system. It is way too complicated and has caused me to lose so much time when I should be studying and doing assignment work, on the phone, writing emails, and contacting you. I am dreading going through this whole process again as I have been accepted onto the Hons Year as long as I pass the course with 55%, and will have to do this all again for another two years. The thought is really putting me off!

So after all the complaints, phone calls, emails, university of Bath Student Services involvement and stress I am no further on in my claim than I was at the start of the course. Really not happy and feel that some kind of investigation needs to take place into the my claim. I am really not satisfied with the response I have had from the complaints department, and I feel that I am probably not the only student to have experienced this amount of difficulty when trying to get help towards costs when studying as a single parent.

The student finance rep tried to tell me that the system was complicated and was subject to lots of fraud, and I said but it's not! it is your system that has made it unnecessarily complicated! All you need is estimated cost of childcare, then information from the childminder as to actual costs! Student loans and grants is done online, and that is just as susceptible to fraud! But I have not had any problems with that! She said well that is why it is paper based, because it is difficult to handle.

Sounds like they are trying their best to make it as difficult as possible to me so that people just give up because it's just too much hassle.
I feel completely let down by the whole system. I said no where on the information about student finance does it say if you are not in receipt of child tax credit or child benefit will you not be entitled to claim.

I have contacted the ombudsman today (0845 073 8908), I want my claim investigated by an independent assessor, they are going to write to student finance. As far as I am concerned there has been mistake after mistake and someone needs to take responsibility for their actions.

e.g. in the student finance information from student finance england (January 2011
ISBN 978-1-907246-16-6
SFE/CCGB/V11)
It states that you will be sent a CCG2 form at the end of each term to complete and return... (erm not in my experience!)

It says "You can apply for a Childcare Grant if you are a full-time undergraduate student and you have at least one dependent child who is under 15 and in registered or approved childcare"

It does say If you, your husband, wife or partner gets the childcare part of Working Tax Credit, you won’t be able to get a Childcare Grant as well. (But I am a single parent and don't get tax credits for my son, so surely this means that this does not apply to me? (I don't know what my EX partner receives, and he won't provide me with information either.)

My main argument is that NO WHERE in the information does it say if you are not in receipt of child tax credit or child benefit for your child your claim will be a long and drawn out almost impossible time wasting exercise and your decision will be based upon what someone decides, and not on factual information that you provide as an alternative such as court order and information from the accredited registered child minder (who also has better things to do with her time than keep completing the same information over and over again).

After this I am e-mailing watchdog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/ )and my local mp. I have already ranted about this on my university blog to warn other parents considering going back into education.

I feel that it is my responsibility to shout about this ridiculous complicated system to anyone that will listen in the hope that it will be sorted for future students.

This system needs sorting it's a complete shambles and some accountability is required to get things in order.

By the way tinkerson, best of luck to you with your claim, hope you get some help soon.
Reply 8
hello, I HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH STUDENT FIANCE ENGLISH CHILDCARE GRANT, where can i get any help?? i called them millions times, but nothing changed.

i completed my degree last year. they cancel my childcare grand 2012 because i cannot provide Final Tax Decision 04/2011 to 03/2012 (TC602). this document is killing me, i called many times H&M revenue-tax credit help line, they told me in 2011-2012 i claimed more than one time to tax credit , so they cannot provide this document, but they send me 03/2012 to 04/2014 TC602E that covers whole year... but student fiance England doesn't accept that document, if i cannot send 2011-2012 Final TAX Credits documant to student finace England i have to pay back £7000,,:frown:

i cannot belive , just because i calmied more than one time to TAX credit in 2011-2012 as my circumtances changed- my husband leat me:frown: i cannot recive my child grant.

it is not fair, i trusted them and paied £7000 to my childminder , now they do not accept my documents...

in 2012 my husband leaft home for 10 days , so i claimed to tax credit as i was single, after 10 day my husband came back and called tax credit again... our annual income is lees tahn £9000...

PLease give me same advide... should i speak with a lawer...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Please check dates before posting in threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending