The Student Room Group

How realistic are my choices?

As : BBCC (Started revising like during easter)
Predictions: AAB

Applying to
AAB
ABB
ABC
320 points
BBB

Should I consider a lower option then BBB? that's what the referee told me to do in college but tbh I won't be happy at any of the other Unis :frown:
Reply 1
What are the universities and the course?
Reply 2
Original post by neurodude
what are the universities and the course?

mtsmtsmts
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by POWW!

Applying to
AAB
ABB
ABC
320 points
BBB

Should I consider a lower option then BBB? that's what the referee told me to do in college but tbh I won't be happy at any of the other Unis :frown:

I got BBBC and i'm applying for unis with similar requirements to yours.

Your predictions aren't too ambitious and meet the uni requirements so you should be fine. Unless of course the reference and PS are really bad which I doubt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nasira372

Unless the course is very competitive...

Thanks Yh I've always wondered if Maths was competitive? :s Like at my school there's like 4 people planning to do it at Uni
Reply 5
Unrelated subject but I got CCDU (don't ask :wink:) Predicted ABB and got into Manchester for History and Economics, which required ABB. Shows your AS's aren't crucial when applying to Uni's below oxbrige.
Reply 6
Original post by POWW!
Thanks Yh I've always wondered if Maths was competitive? :s Like at my school there's like 4 people planning to do it at Uni

I'm not sure tbh. BBCC grades are pretty good so you have a very good chance even if it is quiet competitive
Reply 7
Original post by POWW!

It can be very competitive at the top universities.
Original post by TheArsenal
Unrelated subject but I got CCDU (don't ask :wink:) Predicted ABB and got into Manchester for History and Economics, which required ABB. Shows your AS's aren't crucial when applying to Uni's below oxbrige.

If you're already at university, you applied when it wasn't compulsory to declare AS results and so people could hide poor grades. From this year, all schools, except for a handful of private schools who choose to exempt themselves, have to declare results, so the situation is now rather different.
Reply 9
Original post by carnationlilyrose
If you're already at university, you applied when it wasn't compulsory to declare AS results and so people could hide poor grades. From this year, all schools, except for a handful of private schools who choose to exempt themselves, have to declare results, so the situation is now rather different.

I applied this year :smile:.
Original post by POWW!

Applying to
AAB
ABB
ABC
320 points
BBB

What grades did you get for the A Levels you're continuing this year? And either way, I would recommend applying for a university with less than BBB requirements. Universities rely more on your achieved grades than predicted grades, since they know they can be maniulated by schools easily. Assuming you got BBC in the subjects you're continuing this year I would reccommend picking a university that has grade requirements BBC (or lower). An insurance is an insurance for a reason, you don't really wanna risk it and in a few months time find you haven't recieved any ofers from universities.

Furthermore, all your choices are above the grades you got last year. Maybe even consider 2 choices at the grades you got laster year or below?
Original post by TheArsenal
I applied this year :smile:.

Well, good for you. There must be lots of other good things in your application.
Reply 12
Original post by Rastafarian Moose
What grades did you get for the A Levels you're continuing this year? And either way, I would recommend applying for a university with less than BBB requirements. Universities rely more on your achieved grades than predicted grades, since they know they can be maniulated by schools easily. Assuming you got BBC in the subjects you're continuing this year I would reccommend picking a university that has grade requirements BBC (or lower). An insurance is an insurance for a reason, you don't really wanna risk it and in a few months time find you haven't recieved any ofers from universities.

Furthermore, all your choices are above the grades you got last year. Maybe even consider 2 choices at the grades you got laster year or below?

I totally disagree with this... There's no point in applying to Universities he does not wish to go to. If he doesn't have any aspirational choices there is no motivation. If he's working hard I don't see why he shouldn't apply to those Universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending