The Student Room Group

leeds or sheffield university?

so i've applied to both Leeds and Sheffield and I know either one of these will be my first choice. BUT i have a dilemma...
I visited leeds university this summer and i loved it (the student union, course people, place) and then i also visited sheffield afterwards and loved it even more!
BUT..I can apply for a scheme at leeds that will drop my uni fees from 9000 pound a year to 3000 a year but i really loved sheffield.
i did like leeds but would i be silly to make the mistake and go to sheffield and be in even more debt after uni? reviews of the uni would be appreciated :smile: my friends told me to just apply for leeds because leeds and sheffield are virtually the same with a good night life etccc! thanks :biggrin:
:confused:
why not apply to both
Reply 2
I have applied to both and I was just wondering about which to accept :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by zizi8
so i've applied to both Leeds and Sheffield and I know either one of these will be my first choice. BUT i have a dilemma...
I visited leeds university this summer and i loved it (the student union, course people, place) and then i also visited sheffield afterwards and loved it even more!
BUT..I can apply for a scheme at leeds that will drop my uni fees from 9000 pound a year to 3000 a year but i really loved sheffield.
i did like leeds but would i be silly to make the mistake and go to sheffield and be in even more debt after uni? reviews of the uni would be appreciated :smile: my friends told me to just apply for leeds because leeds and sheffield are virtually the same with a good night life etccc! thanks :biggrin:

They will probably have similar environments (being city-based) but they are different.

Are you gaurenteed the reduced fees? It is a fair difference, although everybody will be in a similar level of debt by the end without (that doesn't mean you have to be though).

How much does that matter to you? There's a likelihood that you'll never pay back the whole of the £9000/year, depending on how much you end up earning. Students loans are the 'best' loans you can get though heh, no need to take them needlessly I guess.

Both will probably ask you to a post-offer open day, so I guess just use those days as a really good comparison. I think the biggest problem you might have is if you go to Leeds and possibly not enjoying it and thinking 'What if?'

Do the courses differ much/at all?

You can always do a postgrad at Sheffield in the end if you do decide for Leeds!
Reply 4
Original post by zizi8

What subject?
Reply 5
Original post by Nymthae
They will probably have similar environments (being city-based) but they are different.

Are you gaurenteed the reduced fees? It is a fair difference, although everybody will be in a similar level of debt by the end without (that doesn't mean you have to be though).

How much does that matter to you? There's a likelihood that you'll never pay back the whole of the £9000/year, depending on how much you end up earning. Students loans are the 'best' loans you can get though heh, no need to take them needlessly I guess.

Both will probably ask you to a post-offer open day, so I guess just use those days as a really good comparison. I think the biggest problem you might have is if you go to Leeds and possibly not enjoying it and thinking 'What if?'

Do the courses differ much/at all?

You can always do a postgrad at Sheffield in the end if you do decide for Leeds!

yeah i am guaranteed 3000 a year and they also drop 2 grades for me. at the moment i've got 3 a's at AS and the course they offer is AAB so will be lowered to BBB and the course at sheffield is ABB.

and yes, thats what I'm worried about, I think i will like Leeds but along the line I'm scared of wishing I'd gone to Sheffield instead! hmmm!
Reply 6
Original post by zizi8

what scheme lowers your fees from 9000 to 3000?

I must know :eek:

oh yeah, sheffield has its buildings scatter across the city i think, don't know about leeds - you've visited, is it more campusy?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lew1
What subject?

I've applied for Spanish and German :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by fuzzybear
what scheme lowers your fees from 9000 to 3000?

I must know :eek:

It's and access to Leeds sheme and I'm eligible for EMA and single parent etcc so can apply for it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by zizi8
I've applied for Spanish and German :smile:

Ah okay, I'm afraid I don't know much about languages.
Well I started Sheffield in September and it's just brilliant to be honest - the safest major city in the UK.
The Students' Union is supposedly one of the best in the country too :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Lew1
Ah okay, I'm afraid I don't know much about languages.
Well I started Sheffield in September and it's just brilliant to be honest - the safest major city in the UK.
The Students' Union is supposedly one of the best in the country too :smile:

ooooh thankyou :smile: glad you're having a good time! is the nightlife in Sheffield good? and how are the students? :biggrin: i loved it when i visited! I also visited Endcliffe Halls and they were okay!
Reply 11
Original post by zizi8
It's and access to Leeds sheme and I'm eligible for EMA and single parent etcc so can apply for it :smile:

I'm applying to this and could of sworn it says nothing about lowering tution fees
Reply 12
I would say they're both about the same in terms of rep? If anything Sheffield has the edge over Leeds. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending