The Student Room Group

Had a frenuloplasty...

Hi all,

I don't post here often at all (last post in 2010 I think) but I wanted to just make this thread as I'm sure some people will find it helpful.

I realised my foreskin was tight some time ago but I didn't do anything about it. I couldn't pull the foreskin over the head properly, although sometimes I could (but it'd be very tight). It made me lose a lot of confidence and for that reason I never had sex (for the fear of snapping the frenulum). After some looking into it I found I have frenulum breve (short frenulum) and I wanted to go to the doctors to get it sorted. I never plucked up the courage though.

Finally, I decided to go to the doctor. The doctor had a look and referred me to a urologist at the main hospital. A month or so later the urologist had a look and confirmed it was frenulum breve. He said I should have a frenuloplasty. He put me on the waiting list and I heard nothing for another month or two. I rang the hospital and they got me a operation date as there had been a cancellation.

I went to the pre assessment where a nurse goes through the information and checks you're OK to have the operation. Five days later I had the operation. I went into hospital at around 8 and I was taken to the theater at 8.45. Met the surgeon and the guys who did the anesthetic. I had it done under general anesthetic. They gave me some gas which knocked me out (so they could put this 'tap' in my arm for the anesthetic) and the next thing I knew I was coming round in the waiting area. I felt no pain, just a slight discomfort. I was kept in the hospital for around 3 or 4 more hours where they gave me some tea and toast to check I could eat. I also went toilet which was OKish (no pain, just slightly messy...)

After that I was given paracetamol and ibuprofen and discharged. That day I just rested and despite there being no pain I took some paracetamol before bed. I woke up a few times and got some erections but it wasn't painful. I saw near the top there was a black dot/line and some white stuff (not smegma). I remember the surgeon telling me he was going to burn it instead of using stitches as there's more chance of it going back to how it was with stitches. The next day was the same, just rest. Yesterday I showered (48hrs after op, as advised) and I pulled back the foreskin. There's a white line from just under the 'japseye' to part of the foreskin itself. There's also some black stuff on it, which I guess is where it was burnt. Doesn't look too pretty but I've had no pain or bleeding. I washed it and dried it as they said. Didn't smell too great. Today I showered as well and washed it a bit better with some Sanex showergel that has no smell or anything. Dried it and an hour or two later it kinda smells bad again. I guess this is from the wound... not much I can do.

So today is 3rd day after I had the operation and there has been some discomfort but no pain or blood. Glad I got it done as it was so detrimental to my confidence with girls. Need to wait ~2 weeks before I do exercise and ~4 weeks before any sexual activity. Oh lawd.

So that's that. I remember when I was looking into it I wanted to read other people's experiences and get as much info on it as I could, and I would have appreciated this post so I'm sure others will. Feel free to ask any questions. If you don't know what a frenuloplasty is then look it up (it's basically the lengething of the frenulum, aka banjo string).

Scroll to see replies

Im 99% sure that I also have this problem and I'm to embarrassed to get anything done. I don't want to tell my parent as I have no idea how to go about approaching them about it. I'm 18 by the way. How old are you and did you tell anyone about it?

Could you also please keep this thread updated on how its going as I'm really nervous about having an operation on that area incase somethings goes wrong.

Thanks!
Reply 2
'm 18 too. It is kinda embarrassing but it's not your fault it's like that and it's better to get it sorted then suffer in silence. It's easy to put it off but getting it sorted is going to be worth it.

I told my dad about it and my friends all know, as well as my dads girlfriend. I don't mind, doesn't embarrass me to be honest! I booked a doctors appointment with the GP and they referred me to the urologist. My dad was understanding when I told him. If I were you I would book a doctors appointment yourself, get referred to the urologist and then tell your parents (tell whoever you feel most comfortable with telling, your dad may understand better).

If you get it done you will need an adult to drive you home and be with you for 24hrs (that is if you have a general anesthetic). I believe with local you can go on your own.

I understand the worry about anything going wrong but you have to just hope it doesn't.

Day 5 today I think and I had some bleeding yesterday. Slight ache but no real pain. Unfortunately there's a not very nice smell and I'm cleaning it properly each day (and after urination). I think the smell is from the wound, there seems to be a clear liquid coming from it (maybe lymph - nothing to worry about). These things are normal with this type of operation. No pain but wanting to masturbate lol.
Original post by Anonymous
'm 18 too. It is kinda embarrassing but it's not your fault it's like that and it's better to get it sorted then suffer in silence. It's easy to put it off but getting it sorted is going to be worth it.

I told my dad about it and my friends all know, as well as my dads girlfriend. I don't mind, doesn't embarrass me to be honest! I booked a doctors appointment with the GP and they referred me to the urologist. My dad was understanding when I told him. If I were you I would book a doctors appointment yourself, get referred to the urologist and then tell your parents (tell whoever you feel most comfortable with telling, your dad may understand better).

If you get it done you will need an adult to drive you home and be with you for 24hrs (that is if you have a general anesthetic). I believe with local you can go on your own.

I understand the worry about anything going wrong but you have to just hope it doesn't.

Day 5 today I think and I had some bleeding yesterday. Slight ache but no real pain. Unfortunately there's a not very nice smell and I'm cleaning it properly each day (and after urination). I think the smell is from the wound, there seems to be a clear liquid coming from it (maybe lymph - nothing to worry about). These things are normal with this type of operation. No pain but wanting to masturbate lol.

Thanks for this. I will also need one but want to keep it secret and to myself. Do you think it's something someone could do when they are at uni?
I'm getting mine doing this Friday =D. Privately I'll add.
Interesting to read about after op though =). I'll post my experiences soon =D

Thanks for the update. I've never actually known my dad so i've never had that type of father son relationship type of thing, and i think thats why I dont feel comfortable about telling people about it.

Do you think if I wait until I start uni and move out then go see a GP local to where I will be living that I'll be able to do it all in secret?

That must be painful, is it a month you cant do anything sexual :biggrin:?
Please keep up updated, I just want to know if you get a full recovery and if it looks normal again once its healed.

Cheers
Thanks for the update. I've never actually known my dad so i've never had that type of father son relationship type of thing, and i think thats why I dont feel comfortable about telling people about it.

Do you think if I wait until I start uni and move out then go see a GP local to where I will be living that I'll be able to do it all in secret?

That must be painful, is it a month you cant do anything sexual :biggrin:?
Please keep up updated, I just want to know if you get a full recovery and if it looks normal again once its healed.

Cheers

Hi, you're in the same boat as me. I want to keep it secret and do it at uni.
Reply 7
I suppose you could do it secretly if you wanted to. Again, if you have a general anesthetic you will need somebody to take you home/back to uni and keep an eye on you. That said, if you asked the hospital might let you stay there for 24hrs to keep an eye on you. Of course, with local anesthetic you can go on your own straight away.

You can't tell somebody has had it done by just looking at them, so no worries there.

Yeah, the worst thing is not being able to do anything sexual! I don't have a gf so it could be worse but I'm at a week now and already bursting lol! Won't be able to hold it for another 3 weeks...

Everything seems to be going OK. It appears to be healing, some bleeding but it's very little (and didn't go on my underwear). Again, not a nice odour but I think that's the lymph... still, can't smell it with clothes on. When I pull the foreskin back and pull some more it kinda hurts a little but where it's healing, I think it's because it is trying to heal and isn't so elastic yet.

Really surprised and happy by the lack of pain, only slight twinges but they're rare.
Any updates mate?
Hows it going
Reply 9
Just a few points for people who are worried about their parents knowing: if you are deemed "competent" to decide your own medical matters, then your parents don't need to know.... if you are under 16, this is known as "Gillick competence" and parents do not necessarily need to know or consent to your treatment. This applies whether you want to start the pill, or need to see your GP or whatever.

Obviously if you're having operations and need to stay in hospital, or need some sort of transport to get you home, they might ask you some questions. But from an NHS perspective, if you can make your own decisions by weighing up the risks and benefits of your treatment, your parents do not need to know, and it's a breach of confidentiality of healthcare staff to tell them.
Okay, so having just had my frenuloplasty last friday. I thought I'd also share my experiences for anyone else thinking of, or about to have a frenuloplasty.

I'm currently 18.
I first realised I had a problem with my foreskin around 6 years ago. I hoped that with time, it may gradually get better. And to a certain extent, it did get better. At first I couldn't pull my foreskin over my penis head at all, but after persistence and patience, after 6 months+ I achieved it. However then I became sexually active. Sex wasn't painful as such, but (not to be too graphic) when you first slide your penis, it really rubs on your foreskin, you have to be REALLY SLOW or else it hurts like a bitch. Anyway, after some searching on the internet I realised I may suffer from frenulum breve.

I went to see a GP, who referred me to a urologist (long wait). Who then asked how quickly I wanted it done, so I was referred to a private urologist. The following week. As it was private, I did my pre assessment as soon as I talked to the private urologist. It was a bit awkward doing the MRSA swabs but it's not too bad. A week later I had the operation.

I had to arrive at the hospital at 7:30am. Talked to the surgeon + anesthetic guy. It was done under general anesthetic. They stabbed me with the needle, and OMG it hurt like a bitch. THEN they knocked me out with gas =/. Woke up in the recovery room. It was painless then sat around watching tv for about 3 hours. Had a pee. They gave me lunch to make sure I was eating.

I was discharged with paracetamol and flamrase (anti-flamment thingy). Like Thread starter. I didn't have any pain whatsoever, but took a couple of paracetamols before bed anyway. Had a few erections, no pain or blood. I didn't shower for 48 hours, and then inspected my wound. It look fine, it was slightly bruised though. No oozing, or smelliness. It was healing well. Erm. No sex for 4 weeks. :smile:. Fun.
Reply 11
I've had this done summer 2009.

One thing they tell you just on the day of the OP.

They need to enlarge your penis to full size and they do this with a device that resembles a rather large needle that goes into your hole and down to the base of the penis.

Lets just say people told me "omg nooooo!" when I was descriving it to them! :biggrin:
Original post by HP15

They need to enlarge your penis to full size and they do this with a device that resembles a rather large needle that goes into your hole and down to the base of the penis.

Lets just say people told me "omg nooooo!" when I was descriving it to them! :biggrin:

:nooo: Is this actually true? Please say you're taking the ****.

Sigh.
Reply 13
:nooo: Is this actually true? Please say you're taking the ****.

Sigh.

No I aint taking the piss.

You dont have to worry. How else are they to get an accurate hole to go off regarding your full-sized member? I thought drugs but its basically inflation.

:biggrin:
Original post by HP15
No I aint taking the piss.

You dont have to worry. How else are they to get an accurate hole to go off regarding your full-sized member? I thought drugs but its basically inflation.

:biggrin:

Does it hurt?
Reply 15
Does it hurt?

No.

You're knocked out when they do it. You want to be around when they do it?
Reply 16
OK, just over two weeks since I had it done now. No pain and I can exercise again now. Couldn't hold off of masturbating for 4 weeks and let myself go after a week and a few days. Was careful and it was fine. Healing nicely now.

Original post by HP15

They never told me that. I don't see why they'd need to do it, plus how would that work? Inflating it? lmao. Guy is either a troll or had some weird **** done to him. Don't worry yourself.
Reply 17

They never told me that. I don't see why they'd need to do it, plus how would that work? Inflating it? lmao. Guy is either a troll or had some weird **** done to him. Don't worry yourself.

lol, me a troll?

Nope. It actually is the procedure and the surgeon explained it to me.

Ms Blades @ preston hospital. Look her up if you have any questions. The underside of my shaft was bruised for 2 weeks.

How else do they find out how to do the 3 slits in the foreskin that will be wide enough to allow a fully erect penis head through it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by HP15
lol, me a troll?

Nope. It actually is the procedure and the surgeon explained it to me.

Ms Blades @ preston hospital. Look her up if you have any questions. The underside of my shaft was bruised for 2 weeks.

Tell me smart guy, how else do they find out how to do the 3 slits in the foreskin that will be wide enough to allow a fully erect penis head through it?

It seems like there are various methods of performing a freuolplasty. Yours appears to be different to mine as I had absolutely no bruising, also I've read about different methods such as the Z and Y cuts, stitches vs burning, etc.

I can't find anything on Google about a rod or needle being used. Perhaps it is but I've not read anything on it, can't find anything and have never been told about it. Eitherway I do not particularly care. If anybody is worried about it go and check with your doc.
Reply 19
It seems like there are various methods of performing a freuolplasty. Yours appears to be different to mine as I had absolutely no bruising, also I've read about different methods such as the Z and Y cuts, stitches vs burning, etc.

I can't find anything on Google about a rod or needle being used. Perhaps it is but I've not read anything on it, can't find anything and have never been told about it. Eitherway I do not particularly care. If anybody is worried about it go and check with your doc.

Well, I see no reason as to why she'd explain it to me because I didnt even mention such a need, nor do I believe she did it for 'giggles'. Dont use wikipedia for research ma boy, you dont use it for uni research, so you shouldn't use it to research medical procedures.

I also dont care that you dont care. lolol :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest