The Student Room Group

When girls say they like 'nice' arms on men, do they mean like this.....?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
They mean this OP.

What I wouldn't give to be cradled in Konstantins big, bear arms.

No homo.
Original post by newts2k
http://www.shore.co.uk/billabong-b-board-tee-fire-red-47287.html

i.e quite big but toned/ripped? Just curious. I hear a lot of girls say this

The veins; I don't like... I just think veins are weird, but I quite like the arms. They look proportional but also quite strong and toned. As long as they don't belong to a guy who is tensing 98% of the time just to show off, I wouldn't mind. My boyfriend has arms that are pretty much the same as that picture and I love them. Strong arms make me feel protected and safe... And hey, if he can carry me around (and I'm not light) it just makes me love him even more :biggrin:
Reply 42
I like a bit of vein. But not too much. :sexface:
Original post by Aisha~~
Natural doesn't look like you think it does.

*thumbs up for you*
Original post by Aconcernedparent
I mean "natural" meaning no steroids, and no "pumping", just sports or natural physical activity. I am (painfully) aware that most men do not look like Clive Owen. But I still think he does varied physical training and doesn't over-focus on his arms. He also has a little pouch, which I love :teehee:

Most sportsman of a reasonable skill level incorporate weight training into their regimen. Not necessarily with the intent of building muscle (ofc with rugby it's good), but for the added benefits of strength, which relates to my next point: Sports in themselves generally do not give a complete body workout. Swimming for example, will focus a lot of attention on shoulders (check how wide their shoulders are next time it's on TV). Rowing, arms and back.

Now, the closest I've ever seen to a complete workout are compound weight lifts. Deadlifts utilize muscles from all over the body. Squats do too. Yes, there are idiots that want to get swole t-shirt guns, and focus on nothing but their chest and arms. This does not invalidate weight lifting as a bad workout. Just those people.

But I get what you're saying. You want a fairly average guy. It just makes no sense to me why you would dislike the body that comes with something a guy is passionate about. After all, most of us don't train for the sex appeal.
Original post by Aisha~~
Most sportsman of a reasonable skill level incorporate weight training into their regimen. Not necessarily with the intent of building muscle (ofc with rugby it's good), but for the added benefits of strength, which relates to my next point: Sports in themselves generally do not give a complete body workout. Swimming for example, will focus a lot of attention on shoulders (check how wide their shoulders are next time it's on TV). Rowing, arms and back.

Now, the closest I've ever seen to a complete workout are compound weight lifts. Deadlifts utilize muscles from all over the body. Squats do too. Yes, there are idiots that want to get swole t-shirt guns, and focus on nothing but their chest and arms. This does not invalidate weight lifting as a bad workout. Just those people.

But I get what you're saying. You want a fairly average guy. It just makes no sense to me why you would dislike the body that comes with something a guy is passionate about. After all, most of us don't train for the sex appeal.

Maybe it has something to do with my personal experience. At least, where I'm from, the guys in the weightlifting room are those with tank tops who use sunbeds and are overall quite tacky in appearance. The guys I know who focuses on sports (plays tennis or squash, uses rowing machines and all that) tend to be more attractive guys overall, better educated etc. I don't know why it is that way. I am sure plenty of men life weights occasionally. But those who spend a lot of time doing it, or a lot of time in gyms or health studios in general, are often not the most attractive men. It's entirely possible that is a cultural thing. I'd love for a guy to be passionate about something and for it to show. But I'd like a guy who is passionate about tennis, squash, rowing, polo etc 1000 x more than one who is 'passionate' about weightlifting. That's just a preference.
I'd love for a guy to be passionate about something and for it to show. But I'd like a guy who is passionate about tennis, squash, rowing, polo etc 1000 x more than one who is 'passionate' about weightlifting. That's just a preference.

Why? That seems really odd.
Maybe it has something to do with my personal experience. At least, where I'm from, the guys in the weightlifting room are those with tank tops who use sunbeds and are overall quite tacky in appearance. The guys I know who focuses on sports (plays tennis or squash, uses rowing machines and all that) tend to be more attractive guys overall, better educated etc. I don't know why it is that way. I am sure plenty of men life weights occasionally. But those who spend a lot of time doing it, or a lot of time in gyms or health studios in general, are often not the most attractive men. It's entirely possible that is a cultural thing. I'd love for a guy to be passionate about something and for it to show. But I'd like a guy who is passionate about tennis, squash, rowing, polo etc 1000 x more than one who is 'passionate' about weightlifting. That's just a preference.

Oh that's ok. Prejudice is cool

Enjoy.

Reply 48

Using a rowing machine means you're more educated?

Interesting theory.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Why? That seems really odd.

Having weightlifting as a 'hobby' is just not something if I find very interesting in a man. In the same way you have certain preferences in a female.
Original post by Dark Horse

Interesting theory.

You know very well there is not a causation. It's just MY experience that the guys whom are overall attractive, educated, cultivated and all that usually don't spend all their time lifting weights, and the guys who do are the opposite. Maybe that is just in my home country. There are lots of girls who fancy the bodybuilder-kind guys, so there is something for everybody...
Having weightlifting as a 'hobby' is just not something if I find very interesting in a man. In the same way you have certain preferences in a female.

I'm not so narrow-minded as to rule a person mentally redundant, tasteless, and vain, just because of my own experience with the hobby. That's fairly shallow and uninformed in itself.

Now, remind me, what makes squash, essentially a game where you spend hours on end hitting a small rubber ball into a brick wall, so enlightened?
Reply 52
You know very well there is not a causation. It's just MY experience that the guys whom are overall attractive, educated, cultivated and all that usually don't spend all their time lifting weights, and the guys who do are the opposite. Maybe that is just in my home country. There are lots of girls who fancy the bodybuilder-kind guys, so there is something for everybody...

Well personally I cannot tell what a person is like just by looking at what type of exercise he/she is into.

They're some bodybuilders who are obsessive over the whole thing. I once worked with a guy who one day was in a whiney, sulky mood for hours just because he ate ONE packet of pom bears (great crisps btw) when he was on a strict diet. It wouldn't of affected his fat loss target much at all but he reacted like it was the end of the world. And also the gym was the only thing he ever talked about. I know he was passionate about it but it gets boring for people who don't take training so seriously.

And I still don't understand your point about people who play recreational sport as being more cultured and intelligent. You say it might be something that is just in your country but I honestly think it's just you. :smile:
Original post by Aisha~~
I'm not so narrow-minded as to rule a person mentally redundant, tasteless, and vain, just because of my own experience with the hobby. That's fairly shallow and uninformed in itself.

Now, remind me, what makes squash, essentially a game where you spend hours on end hitting a small rubber ball into a brick wall, so enlightened?

I have never said that squash makes someone 'enlightened' or that all weightlifters are hopeless. But we all have preferences based on our experiences, we cannot possibly date every person of the opposite sex, we just need to gather our experiences and see what it teaches us.
My experience is that men who practice certain sports, or just sports in general, tend to be more 'my type' than those who are weightlifters. I don't know why men choose the spare time activities they choose. I don't know what sort of upbringing, cultural background or whatever which makes guys I have more in common with play certain sports over others. And I certainly don't know how guys on here can get offended by this. I certainly wouldn't mind if a guy said "I wouldn't be interested in a ballerina, they're too prissy for me". And guys do make judgments like that as well.
Obviously, as anyone would understand, this does not mean I am immediately interested in a guy who plays a sport I like. Nor does it mean that I would reject a man upfront knowing that he has this or that hobby. It just means that I don't actively go to gyms or health studios to meet men. And if I'm asking particularly about what I would prefer IF I could choose (which I cannot, you don't choose who you fall for), that would be my preference. I am mighty sick of this trend - guys make threads on TSR all the time asking for girls' preferences, and being very particular about it. "Girls, rate these photos", "girls - what body do you like best", "girls - which hobby is most appealing" etc. And when you do give a specific answer, you are accused of being demanding or too particular. Of course in real life these details play very little part. You fall in love with a person, not a body or a hobby.
Reply 54
Original post by Aisha~~

Come now, she said she wouldn't find weightlifting an interesting hobby in a guy, I know you're using hyperbole to make a point, but 'mentally redundant, tasteless and vain'? Jesus :rolleyes:

Interesting theory.

TBF, if you guys could actually read, she never said anything of the sort. She stated that in a her personal experience guys who did "tennis/squash/etc tend to be xyz" that's not the same as "all guys who do tennis/squash/etc" nor does "guys in the weightlifting room are abc" mean "all guys who lift weights are abc".

I think she's a bit confused i.e. referring to tennis/squash as sports in contrast to weightlifting, using weightlifting/bodybuilding as synonyms etc. but calm down ffs.
Reply 55
Original post by rlw31
TBF, if you guys could actually read, she never said anything of the sort. She stated that in a her personal experience guys who did "tennis/squash/etc tend to be xyz" that's not the same as "all guys who do tennis/squash/etc" nor does "guys in the weightlifting room are abc" mean "all guys who lift weights are abc".

I think she's a bit confused i.e. referring to tennis/squash as sports in contrast to weightlifting, using weightlifting/bodybuilding as synonyms etc. but calm down ffs.

The entire defense rests on her omission of the word "all", and like a true heroine you've come along and ammended that. I salute you. :cool:
Reply 56
The entire defense rests on her omission of the word "all", and like a true heroine you've come along and ammended that. I salute you. :cool:

Probably something something to do with the fact that she said 'In my experience', 'where I'm from' and 'guys that I know' as well, you're looking for something that just isn't there and you're being a dick about it. Pointing that out doesn't make me a heroine, just someone who can read. 'The entire defense', Jesus, get a life, you're having a go at her for things she never said :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by rlw31
Probably something something to do with the fact that she said 'In my experience' and 'where I'm from' as well, you're looking for something that just isn't there and you're being a dick about it. Pointing that out doesn't make me a heroine, just someone who can read. 'The entire defense', Jesus, get a life, you're having a go at her for things she never said :rolleyes:

Lol, you're the one getting worked up.

And your clearly a heroine with a sig image like that.
Reply 58
Lol, you're the one getting worked up.

And your clearly a heroine with a sig image like that.

Right.

If only I had her body :coma:
x

I don't care what your experiences are, or who you associate with. I'm disturbed that you actively look down on people because of a hobby. You're drawing a link between people you see, and the activity. One you clearly have no idea about, and haven't tried. Plus, you consider your own interests superior when they are in principle, one in the same.

Original post by rlw31
x

Dark horse nailed it, she doesn't have a problem with the person involved. She has a problem with pre-conceived notions that it is something beneath her. I'm done.

Quick Reply

Latest