The Student Room Group

How can I give my boyfriend a wake up call?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
You could set the time instead of him? Why does the guy always have to do this?

Then if he doesn't turn up without good reason, or turns you down a few times without a proper excuse, you dump that *******!

I had a class to attend and said I could meet him at one o'clock beforehand. He responded saying that he'd let me know whether meeting me before or later suited him (:smile:) and of course didn't let me know at all.

So I tried.
Reply 21
Original post by Foo.mp3
No worries eh, invoice is in the post like :smile:

Aye, quite sensible. We blokes can be forgetful sods apart from owt else so it's as well to ensure you have your case prepared should there be a plea of innocence :wink:

Sometimes you will have to, with some people. It's unusual for guys to always be fastidious.. try to cut him a bit of slack me hearty!

Aye well, he needs to know if you're upset, but it'd be a shame to allow him being a bit of a pillock to make you run the risk of turning things sour now wouldn't it

He defo needs to know this

Very sensible :smile:

It doesn't sound clear cut either way but it does sound more like y'all have a nice relationship, by and large he's good to/for you, and that when you bark he jumps to so it could be a lot worse really!

I think this needs to be one of the main things I'm addressing actually - even tonight - I have stuff to do, but just cannot concentrate. Next week will be an important week for getting things done, so I just can't run the risk of being stressed over this stuff then.

In a way I already think it will spur him into action. He always used to say he knew I was busy at uni, and knew it was important (he's graduated and works atm) - so as I was 'busier' he'd be fitting his schedule around mine more for the timebeing!

Can you think of any way I am likely to know the answer to whether he still wants to be with me or not? Just come right out and ask? I'm not even sure that's reliable - because on some level he obviously care about me quite a lot, and would be reluctant to let go - but his feelings might have shifted for some reason.

In any case...I'll let you know how it goes. Your advice has given me a bit of confidence/made me feel slightly better.
I think this needs to be one of the main things I'm addressing actually - even tonight - I have stuff to do, but just cannot concentrate. Next week will be an important week for getting things done, so I just can't run the risk of being stressed over this stuff then.

In a way I already think it will spur him into action. He always used to say he knew I was busy at uni, and knew it was important (he's graduated and works atm) - so as I was 'busier' he'd be fitting his schedule around mine more for the timebeing!

Can you think of any way I am likely to know the answer to whether he still wants to be with me or not? Just come right out and ask? I'm not even sure that's reliable - because on some level he obviously care about me quite a lot, and would be reluctant to let go - but his feelings might have shifted for some reason.

In any case...I'll let you know how it goes. Your advice has given me a bit of confidence/made me feel slightly better.

If you can't concentrate, this is similar to what I had with my girlfriend. It calmed me down to write down a list of things I was not content with, then come back and work out why I was feeling it, then come back and see if it was logical. Not surprisingly, most of it was not logical.

The time gap helps you reduce emotional warping of the situation and make the right decision.
Reply 23
If you can't concentrate, this is similar to what I had with my girlfriend. It calmed me down to write down a list of things I was not content with, then come back and work out why I was feeling it, then come back and see if it was logical. Not surprisingly, most of it was not logical.

The time gap helps you reduce emotional warping of the situation and make the right decision.

I have written everything down, and it's helped me to sift through it. I do feel that my feelings are logical - what writing things down has made me realise is that is it little things, that are easily fixable, if he is willing. In the past I have over-reacted about things/been stressed in general which I have then managed to tie to my boyfriend...

And when I went away and thought about things, I realised it wasn't really anything to do with him. I have reflected on this again this time round, but - it is definitely his actions causing the upset. I'll look over it again before I see him too.
Reply 24
Original post by Foo.mp3
What year are you in?

Not sure in what way that is relevant? :s-smilie: Clearly he does want to be with you! What is less certain is how much of an effort he is: 1) Prepared to make; 2) Comfortable with making

What you need to bear in mind is that wanting you as regular mate level of care you amount of effort he's prepared to make amount of effort he is comfortable making day in day out his idea of what is normal once settled into a relationship. The key is to get a grasp of how these things compare relatively speaking, together, and to determine whether the gap can be closed sustainably

Yes do, and jolly good :smile: I know it's tricky to see it quite in this way, particularly if you're a bit snowed under and feel like your relationships with other people may be in jeopardy at times but life is a challenge and an adventure, as are relationship dynamics! Sometimes it is only by (sensibly, respectfully) working through attitudinal differences, or differing styles/approaches that people grow in certain ways as individuals and stronger bonds are formed as couples, in the spirit of gaining greater mutual understanding and of compromise :h:

My ex has come to realise she did this with me too, though to be fair I had an attitude towards her that was only ever going to prove a source of discontent for her

From what I've read it doesn't sound like you're being wholly unreasonable, just need to ensure that your gripes don't translate into nags as that's usually an own goal in these situations

Bold point: Yeah, I think this is the main thing. I think we all make compromises, and sometimes I wonder where the boundaries are before I start losing some of myself.

How the talk went today:-

Initially when I brought up my feelings about the making plans last minute thing, he was 'baffled' at the fact I was annoyed. He just couldn't see why I was so frustrated...and said he couldn't believe I would accuse him of 'disrespecting' my time. Well eventually...he said 'So, you just want me to make plans a couple of days/ a few days in advance? That's no problem at all' - god yes, that's all I wanted to hear! And said that he would always respect that I'm working towards my degree etc, doesn't want me to think he's not supportive.

So I said we either needed to decide to work through things, or decide if the relationship had reached its end, and it was time to move on. He said he didn't want life after our talk to be like 'a trial', during which I decide whether his behaviour is good enough to continue the relationship; that it shouldn't be a whole thing about him redeeming himself - to which I said if he knew continually getting in touch last minute wasn't good, and he's now going to change that - surely that IS redeeming himself?

He seemed unable to give me a straight answer about what he wanted to do at this point - although he said I am important to him, and that he cares about me. I started to suggest a break, but then as soon as the words left my mouth I realised it wouldn't suit either of us - and he agreed, saying that it would not bode well, so it's a clean cut decision.

He said as we're different people, we'll inevitably have different ways of dealing with things, and issues will come up. He said there are times where we'll annoy eachother, and there's no escaping that...true. We were on the fence about the relationship, not because we don't want to be together - but because things were feeling pretty awful at that point in time.

The conversation basically merged into us both saying we just want to see eachother happy, and started chatting about other things/cuddling. We also made two future plans! :smile: Although ultimately I don't know how things will pan out...I do love him very much, and I think we both learned new things about eachother today.
Reply 25
Original post by Foo.mp3
Naturally, no guy wants to feel like he's living constantly in the shadow of the guillotine!

Aye

I would've reserved any mention of that as the nuclear option if I were you but at least you both realise it's highly undesirable

Don't recall this having been mentioned?

Jolly good, all's well that ends well :smile:

I know - obviously, I don't want him to feel like he's on trial. But it is about seeing things get better after all!

On the fence...didn't really happen until we actually met up. It seemed that he was on the fence because he was worried about living under said shadow of the guillotine. And I was unsure because I didn't want to things to continue as they were.

I'm hoping the talk has strengthened our relationship though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending