The Student Room Group

Is it worth investing in dumbells and a barbell for home?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexlduffy
Thanks for the response! I'll try and join a gym now - no point in waiting 5 months for this really. It's true that everyone has to start somewhere, however I'm notably smaller than everyone else and would have to bulk up whilst doing this. Hopefully it all goes well :smile:

Don't worry about it mate, I know it is easier said than done in some cases but you'll be fine.

Make sure you don't get roped into a long contract which is what some gyms will try and do, I know of some which require three months notice before you leave.

Try get a trial period for free to see if you will be able to enjoy it (as much as you can enjoy lifting weights and exercising lol especially leg days:rolleyes:).

The price isn't always fixed as some gyms have sales targets to meet so you may be able to get a better deal than what is advertised.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by SubAtomic
Don't worry about it mate, I know it is easier said than done in some cases but you'll be fine.

Make sure you don't get roped into a long contract which is what some gyms will try and do, I know of some which require three months notice before you leave.

Try get a trial period for free to see if you will be able to enjoy it (as much as you can enjoy lifting weights and exercising lol especially leg days:rolleyes:).

The price isn't always fixed as some gyms have sales targets to meet so you may be able to get a better deal than what is advertised.

Well, hopefully tomorrow I can head down to the gym and see if I can pay for a one-off session just to see what it's like :smile: Then I'll probably try to get a month's contract and see how it goes from there!

There's a thing I can get at my local gym where if I live in the local area, I can get half price off that and other leisurely places. Gonna go check that out.
Reply 22
Original post by alexlduffy
In that case, it'd probably be better off to look for a cheap set as opposed to the more expensive properly store-bought ones, provided they're still a decent quality, right?

Indeed, just make sure you've a decent about of extra-weights that you can addon since you'll be improving a lot, especially if you're dedicated.
Reply 23
Original post by Tomac
Indeed, just make sure you've a decent about of extra-weights that you can addon since you'll be improving a lot, especially if you're dedicated.

Good point! My friend occasionally lets me use his set, but there's few weights with it so I can't build much from there.
Reply 24
I'd recommend getting gym membership, you'll be more motivated to get your workout done as there will be less distractions, than if you did it at home
Reply 25
i workout at home with just dumbells and had great results/gains. if you know the right/best exercises for different muscle groups then its a good investment. plus you'll be saving $$$ in gym membership fees. the only main problem is exercising legs, you'll definitely need a barbell and a bit more poundage and if your going heavy you'll need a spotter.
Reply 26
I think I've decided to go to the gym as opposed to getting stuff at home. Thanks for the answer though :smile:

By the way, didn't go to the gym today. Had to stay at home for a parcel for my mum (which turned out to be me, which is nice of her), but then later on I lost all motivation to do anything. Didn't even feel like handing out CV's. :frown: Gonna try getting a mate to go with me for one go, but I doubt they will, so if nobody does come with my by, say, Thursday, I'll go by myself.

Quick Reply

Latest