The Student Room Group

Most embarrassing moment in a university interview?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by areebmazhar
Posted this on the med forum as well :smile:

This Chinese doctor walked me from the waiting room to the interview room, and whilst he was walking me down he was being really nice and asking how the tour was etc. Then the interview starts, and first is a transplant surgeon asking me questions and he's really nice and encouraging. He said some of my answers were very good and I was thinking outside the box, and they were pretty standard questions as well tbh. Then it's the Chinese doctors turn and I think to myself "oh, this guy seemed really nice, I'll just ace his questions and then I'm in-jobs a good 'un". But he jumps straight in:
"How would you persuade a fellow Muslim that the theory of evolution is correct?
"Ermm.. scientific evidence and stuff...?"
"Like what?"
"Fossil records and genome comparisons"
"And?"
"Sorry, I don't know"
"Hmm..ok, let's move on. You must have been asleep in your Biology lessons!"
*nervous laugh* "Haha, yeah that's right" (I started laughing very hard at his joke which I didn't find funny)
"Ok, so your friend has the answers for your medical final exam what would you do?"
*Give an answer talking about integrity and professionalism yet compassion and love for my colleague, and how I would not look at the answers*
"But reeallly?...Are you sure you wouldn't have a look?"
"Yes, I definitely wouldn't"
"Really? I'm sure if I was a medical student, I'd have a hard time not looking"
"To be honest, in the situation I might be tempted to have a good look through the answers"
"That's not very good is it?! What happened to honesty?"

Seriously, I think he found it funny to toy with me like that :tongue:

I assume you're a muslim with your username (I'm one too), was the first question about evolution awkard at all? Would've been nice to have a little debate about evolution vs intelligent design.
Mines not hilarious but it was a mega awkward moment at the time at my uni interview.

"So Josh, why Surrey University?"

"I want to go to Sussex because..I mean Surrey because.."

"Nastly slip of the tongue there, I'll pretend I didn't hear that"

And after that the whole interview just went to pants

:s-smilie:

Still got an offer though..
Reply 22
Original post by imy7
I was in a group interview and was talking about some subject or another, and I suddenly just stopped because I couldn't for the life of me think of the word I was trying to say. The other people in the interview even started trying to help me out and guess the word I had forgotten (but failed) so I just sat there basically in silence with an entire group of people staring at me while I tried to think of the word or even a similar one. It was physically painful.

You've made me really curious now! Did you ever remember the word, and if so, what was it? :colondollar:
Reply 23
The second person to set fire to a bin.
Original post by Tolth
Employers and Uni admissions people frequently go through your net presence these days. My advice would be to make sure that your UCAS is made using a separate formal email so they can't find you online.

-.-"

I haven't been invited to an interview per sae, but if I had known about this before submitting my UCAS with my email... (I still got all 5 offers though so they must have liked what they saw -.-)

Knowing me though, my stomach would end up rumbling violently in a moment of silence.
Reply 25
Original post by Robbolo
You've made me really curious now! Did you ever remember the word, and if so, what was it? :colondollar:

Hahaha, it was organic! I got there in the end, and almost jumped out of my chair when I got it :L
I farted really loud (probably out of nervousness) when they asked me how I would deal with being a nurse, and seeing and being a part of unpleasant situations lol... Was really awkward guess it came at the right moment though, I recovered quickly by saying I think I got that covered making the interviewers laugh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tolth
Employers and Uni admissions people frequently go through your net presence these days. My advice would be to make sure that your UCAS is made using a separate formal email so they can't find you online.

i tried searching for myself on everything via my email address and never got results probably cos of privacy settings, thank god as there is a vid of my english teacher having a rant on my youtube, doh what if they found mee
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
I assume you're a muslim with your username (I'm one too), was the first question about evolution awkard at all? Would've been nice to have a little debate about evolution vs intelligent design.

Yeah, I am :smile: It was loosely related to an EPQ I had done about science and Islam. And in hindsight, I guess they just wanted to see my opinions and arguments etc, but it wasn't too awkward as they seemed really interested to listen to what I had to say. I don't think it was much of a debate though :biggrin:
Reply 29
My Brighton interview for photography was the funniest :smile: We discussed chocolate and beer, which was nice.

I also collect quotes, stupid things I hear people say, and I've made it into a Blurb book, so I got one of the interviewers to choose a random number. So my answer to 'why do you want to study at Brighton?' was "because I'm a git." Went down pretty well actually.
Original post by areebmazhar
Yeah, I am :smile: It was loosely related to an EPQ I had done about science and Islam. And in hindsight, I guess they just wanted to see my opinions and arguments etc, but it wasn't too awkward as they seemed really interested to listen to what I had to say. I don't think it was much of a debate though :biggrin:

Ah that makes more sense - I did wonder why they had gone out on a tangent randomly asking about evolution but sounds pretty cool. It's nice when they try and personalise the interview rather than the generic 'why here/why this/etc' questions.

But hope the interview went well overall! :smile:
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Ah that makes more sense - I did wonder why they had gone out on a tangent randomly asking about evolution but sounds pretty cool. It's nice when they try and personalise the interview rather than the generic 'why here/why this/etc' questions.

But hope the interview went well overall! :smile:

Yeah it did thanks, I got an offer. Which was good as it was my last shot at medicine :smile:
interview at SGUL -

interviewers: 'so, what makes you different to the other 300 people who have applied for this course?'
me: 'i'd create spongebob squarepants society.'
their facial response: :lolwut:

how on earth did i get an offer? :|.
Interviewer: So, tell me about your favourite German literature.
Me: I don't have any.

*tumbleweed*
Reply 34
"What made you decide you want to leave school early?"

"It's horrible. They treat us like children - animals even. "Do this, do that!" Always with the demands. I'm sick of it and I want to get out as soon as possible."

Awkward Silence. Interviewer then says;

"OK then. Do you have any work experience?"

"No, all of the places in my area are either to lazy to answer the phone and respond to me or keep coming back with rubbish excuses. I live in a dump really, so it would be good to get out as soon as possible and get some work experience."

"Right. I see..."

Funnily enough, I got an offer.
Philosophy interview at Teddy Hall, Oxford (for PPE)
'what have you read about philosophy?'
'I read an introduction to the subject'
'whose?'
'well, it was based on Harry Potter...'
I was asked: "So what makes you good enough to go to Oxford?"

I replied with "Because I know the location of the one ring."

He then asked me where it is and I told him.

After that he took off his disguise and it was actually Smeagol. I still got an offer though.
My hands sweat badly

Every social situation that requires a hand shake gets a lil off...
Reply 38
I had a cut on the side of my nose that was bleeding incessantly and because I kept dabbing at it with a tissue it wasn't scabbing over. I decided to just leave it alone in the hopes that it would clot and I ended up just sitting there with blood running down my face (I have an abnormal amount of stories similar to this, I think I must be anaemic or something :lolwut:) and the most awkward thing was that NO-ONE MENTIONED IT. We all just pretended it wasn't happening.
Reply 39
Original post by Just Josh
Mines not hilarious but it was a mega awkward moment at the time at my uni interview.

"So Josh, why Surrey University?"

"I want to go to Sussex because..I mean Surrey because.."

"Nastly slip of the tongue there, I'll pretend I didn't hear that"

And after that the whole interview just went to pants

:s-smilie:

Still got an offer though..

I guess the truth just comes out in interviews. Sussex is clearly that amazing :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending