The Student Room Group

What do middle class people do in their spare time?

Scroll to see replies

Mainly fret about what other middle class people do in their spare time.
Reply 21
Yesterday, I took my daughter to a lacrosse tournament. It's everything you think it is. 300 blonde 14 year olds, enough Jack Wills and Orthodontics to shame the EU Food Mountains.

They all have names on the backs of their shirts like "Milly" and "Tilly", and the parents bring their own fold-up chairs, which they put in front of the Landrover whilst they drink wine and pretend to watch the matches.

So....that's one thing they (we?) do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
I host dinner parties, go to David Grey concerts, drink Earl Grey, check local house prices, gossip about whose children are getting married, watch Delia Smith, go to museums, and hang out in Cafe Nero.
Reply 23
Original post by geetar
I host dinner parties, go to David Grey concerts, drink Earl Grey, check local house prices, gossip about whose children are getting married, watch Delia Smith, go to museums, and hang out in Cafe Nero.

There is some intangible sexual quality about those big pictures they have on the walls of Caffe Nero of the Yummy Mummies gossiping.
Reply 24
Photography/Filmography .. explore more, learn how to edit and become a master at it!
You might wanna try skydiving as well! :biggrin:
Reply 25
They paint walls in Peru and dress up as Macbeth.
Reply 26
Nowadays the media and most people seem to think middle class = posh. It doesn't.

Go to the pub
Go the footie
Go shopping

etc, etc........
Reply 27
we play a spot of cricket drink a glass of cognac and smoke the finest cuban cigars whilst playing black jack...

failing that go get buggered each night on the town
Eating organic humus whilst talking about skiing, listening to bad acoustic guitar and TUNEZ through their iPod touch. Making bad innuendos thinking that they are hilarious. Being exited about Wimbledon. IME.

Oh, and vote Labour to alleviate their middle class guilt.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BruvaFromAnuvaMuva
I already know that upper class people like riding horses and killing foxes, and that people from the lower orders like smoking and playing bingo. But what do middle class people do for hobbies? I'm on my Gap year and I can't seem to find a job, so I'm wanting to know of a good hobby.

Gosh! Little bit of generalising there, I know both Upper class and lower class who dislike doing both of those things! And, I'd say you need to choose a hobby over how much you like it, not what is determined by your social class. But...hey ho. I'll suggest a few for a bit of fun.

-Skiing.
-Play an instrument, preferably a classical one. Piano, violin, cello, etc.
-Horse Riding. Not just for the Upper classes.
-Going to the ballet/opera/theatre.
-Go see your personal trainer.
-Play a few rounds of golf.
-Drink some tea - preferably Earl Grey darling!
-Go Speed Dating.
-Clay Pigeon Shooting.
-Fencing.
-Painting.
-Fly Fishing.
-Rugby, Cricket, Rowing, Squash, Tennis, Fives,
-Pilates or Yoga
-Photography
-Charity Volunteering
-Marathons
-Youth Volunteering
-Learn a new language
-Choir, especially Chamber choir
-Listen to some radio 4, the archers especially
-Cooking, at the AGA of course
-Amateur Theatre
-Duke of Edinburgh
-Visiting Chums
-Looking down on the working class
-Pretending that they're upper class
Not sure whether this thread is serious or not, but I'll treat it like it is. Why not just do something you'd enjoy like someone else suggested?

How about some volunteering too, which could help with the job situation, as it would put something on your c.v.?

If you're anywhere near Hertfordshire, I could help you with the volunteering part :smile:.
Middle class people exist? I thought they were made up by the upper classes to stop us poor people from being happy for too long.
Not sure if troll...
look for a job?
Reply 34
Does it really ****ing matter, why do you define yourself middle class?
I don't particularly see myself as any class, my family would probably claim to be working class or middle class depending on who you're talking to.

But when it comes to looking for a hobby, what on earth does it matter? Hobbys are thing you're interested in.

Personally?
DIY (although I have worked in trade before)
I play bass, guitar and do some experimental stuff with cubase
Listen to music
Read, which really varies in terms of reading for pleasure, anything from medical texts to ancient Pali texts translated into english
Play video games, recently got an N64 again so I'm reliving my childhood (all i need is a wood effect telly and a smoke filled house).
Drinking, thats a hobby.
(edited 11 years ago)
Studying, dinner, writing my book, writing in Spanish, going rock climbing, hiking, walking my dog, hanging out with friends and drinking... Most people our age are very similar. I know people who are mega rich and quite poor and at a party we're all the same really.
Reply 36
Original post by BruvaFromAnuvaMuva
I already know that upper class people like riding horses and killing foxes, and that people from the lower orders like smoking and playing bingo. But what do middle class people do for hobbies? I'm on my Gap year and I can't seem to find a job, so I'm wanting to know of a good hobby.

Worry about house prices. Have heart attack every morning reading Daily Mail over muesli. Worry that children are underachieving with only 8 As and 14A*s. Discuss different ways of "gaming" Oxford entrance. Watch BBC4. Browse John Lewis website. Get into John Lewis bed. Drift off to sleep worrying about house prices.
as a member of the middle class society I would recommend long strolls in the park (I do this with my cat) take a few sandwiches to eat on the park bench (I take tuna and share it with my cat) I sometimes take a nude swim in the park pond (only when the weather is warm) or cold) I sometimes like to pretend I'm rich to kill time or I imagine what it would be like to be a pauper. I hope you find yourself this summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending