The Student Room Group

Remapped engine - Insurance?

Hey guys, I have a pretty basic knowledge of cars but not quite as advanced as some people.

I'm looking to replace my car I have right now, which is a 2007 Seat Leon (1.9TDI version). I've been driving it for about 2 years, it's my first car. I'm 18 right now.

I'm looking at another 2008 Seat Leon, which is a 2.0TDI sport model. The owner has had it remapped from it's standard 140bhp to 210 bhp however, meaning that I think the insurance will be quite hefty. I'm currently insured under my mum's name, as she often drives the car too; meaning that the insurance for my current car is cheaper than imagined (around £1800).

Just wondering how much the insurance would be on a remap with his much BHP? And if it is a large fee, would it be expensive to undo the remap?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I'm not mistaken, a remap simply changes the ECU settings which can be reverted back with the right equipment, as it is just a computer that controls the car's engine, and the way it delivers power and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit

The argument is that a lot of manufacturers go easy on the engine, so you can remap the ECU i.e the way you can get extra power out of a computer part without stressing it.

That is a lot of extra power though from a remap, but its not impossible.

A lot of insurance companies don't allow for any modifications at all, especially at your age. You may have better luck putting it under your mums name again, but you aren't building up no claims are you?
A two litre enchanced car though will not do you any favours at 18 with companies though. That is for sure.

It isn't the fact it is a high BHP car that will cause you problems, but the fact it isn't stock.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
There are plenty of Seat Leon's about, just look out for another one that hasn't been mapped?
Reply 3
Original post by gbduo
There are plenty of Seat Leon's about, just look out for another one that hasn't been mapped?

Yes there's plenty around, but I'd like one with a BTCC kit. This one is also white, and looks gorgeous, 19" alloys. Around 50k miles and under £8,000. It's also in my area, meaning I won't have to travel too far to pick it up. It's almost perfect despite the mapping.
Reply 4
How have you been driving for 2 years if you're 18
Reply 5
Original post by Sadsnail
How have you been driving for 2 years if you're 18

I drove the car I have right now whilst learning to drive at 17 and I'm now almost 19. Not really 2 years yet but I just rounded it up. Didn't really think it was that important to my question.
Go Seat, and get them to return the car to a standard map.

Also, it's not 210bhp, garunteed :-)
Reply 7
I'd go to a garage and get them to reset it for sure, but keep a record of the map so that you can add it later if you wish.
It takes a lot of doing to get that much out of an engine.
Reply 8
Original post by RyRy93
Yes there's plenty around, but I'd like one with a BTCC kit. This one is also white, and looks gorgeous, 19" alloys. Around 50k miles and under £8,000. It's also in my area, meaning I won't have to travel too far to pick it up. It's almost perfect despite the mapping.

Those 19" wheels are going to need 200bhp + to make them move! The handling will be atrocious...17" would be far better, at least you would have some give in the tyre sidewall then.

But then people buy cars for blingin alloys now rather than functionality, ah well.
Reply 9
Original post by RyRy93
Hey guys, I have a pretty basic knowledge of cars but not quite as advanced as some people.

I'm looking to replace my car I have right now, which is a 2007 Seat Leon (1.9TDI version). I've been driving it for about 2 years, it's my first car. I'm 18 right now.

I'm looking at another 2008 Seat Leon, which is a 2.0TDI sport model. The owner has had it remapped from it's standard 140bhp to 210 bhp however, meaning that I think the insurance will be quite hefty. I'm currently insured under my mum's name, as she often drives the car too; meaning that the insurance for my current car is cheaper than imagined (around £1800).

Just wondering how much the insurance would be on a remap with his much BHP? And if it is a large fee, would it be expensive to undo the remap?

Thanks.

id keep the remap but dont tell the insurance i dont think it is that big a deal and trust me remap on TDI are more then worth the money :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by bad8oy
id keep the remap but dont tell the insurance i dont think it is that big a deal and trust me remap on TDI are more then worth the money :P

If you have an accident the insurance company will check the ECU and see if it has been fiddled with. They cottoned onto that one a long time ago.
Reply 11
Original post by FXX
If you have an accident the insurance company will check the ECU and see if it has been fiddled with. They cottoned onto that one a long time ago.

but you can remove the remap before they check your car right? surely they wouldnt check your ECU if someone went into the back of you...although i wouldnt put it past them.
Reply 12
Original post by bad8oy
but you can remove the remap before they check your car right? surely they wouldnt check your ECU if someone went into the back of you...although i wouldnt put it past them.

If you had the kit yeah, but its not a 1 minute job.
Reply 13
Be very careful with the remapped 2.0 TDI - check the clutch and DMF carefully as the increased stress will cause increased wear, and they are not cheap to fix.

Lots of insurance companies treat it differently - I looked into it when I considered a Volvo T5. I found that most want to know what the power increase is, and some will either ramp your premium up or say no, and others will just say ok and leave it at that. Strange, but there you go.
Original post by 1992LP
Be very careful with the remapped 2.0 TDI - check the clutch and DMF carefully as the increased stress will cause increased wear, and they are not cheap to fix.

Lots of insurance companies treat it differently - I looked into it when I considered a Volvo T5. I found that most want to know what the power increase is, and some will either ramp your premium up or say no, and others will just say ok and leave it at that. Strange, but there you go.

I'm with Post Office insurance right now, did you look into them when you were investigating?

I'll also probably bring a mechanic with me when I go to check out the car, just in case.
Original post by bad8oy

Insurance companies will do ANYTHING to get out of having to fork out money, trust me they'd check. Also, don't you need the original map from the company that mapped it for you?
Reply 16
Original post by RyRy93
Insurance companies will do ANYTHING to get out of having to fork out money, trust me they'd check. Also, don't you need the original map from the company that mapped it for you?

ye you will probably have to do it through the same company, there is no way it is pushing 210bhp with a generic remap so i think its probably been custom mapped. You would have to ring up a few places. if i were you i would give these guys a call and see what they have to say.
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/
Original post by bad8oy
ye you will probably have to do it through the same company, there is no way it is pushing 210bhp with a generic remap so i think its probably been custom mapped. You would have to ring up a few places. if i were you i would give these guys a call and see what they have to say.
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/

Actually they've stated in the ad that it's been professionally mapped by Torque Tronix.
Reply 18
Original post by RyRy93
Actually they've stated in the ad that it's been professionally mapped by Torque Tronix.

it will be a custom map then and they should be able to remove it for you.
Original post by bad8oy
it will be a custom map then and they should be able to remove it for you.

I know that, I'm just wondering about the cost of getting it removed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending