The Student Room Group

Going Through Life Without Ever Having A Girlfriend - Can It Be Done?

Ok guys I have to come to terms with something thats bothered me for a long time.

I'm a virgin, I'm 25 and I turn 26 in a couple of months. In addition I've never had a relationship either.

From my experiances, this a major red flag for the majority of women say 80-90% of them when you get to this age. Its bothered me so much that I even considered suicide on many occassions last year, but now I'm seeking councilling about it and my social life in general.

I've have always believed I am a poor set of genes and that I have simply deserved this. Social darwinism and natural selection has played its part and that I am simply not up to societies standards. I've come to conclusion that I can't have children, because I would passing on bad genes, science is certainly telling me this.

I can't get a girlfriend, and by nearly 26 I've never had one and I know by the time you get to this age you'll never get one. No girlfriend by 25, and well, you're love life is over. No women are going to want an inexperianced guy and thats understandable.

Is it this hard to accept? You damn right it is, infact its killing me inside, but after being suicidal for months about it, I realise that the only way I can imagine to stay alive is learning how to live with it and learning to accept myself.

I'm going to go through life without having a girlfriend as I'm simply too old now, I have another 50-60 years to live in this world and I've got to be able to learn to live with this fact and at the moment its ROCK HARD. I'm crying every night even now.

But science is telling that I cannot have a girlfriend or a relationship, the signs are pointing this way and I'm so depressed accepting this fact but I know I have to if there's anyway I can live on this planet for another 50-60 years successfully.

Life's just not meant to be sometimes, I didn't choose to be born in this world, I didn't choose to go through this in some ways, its natural selection playing its part and I fully accept it.

Buts its very depressing, almost like grieving knowing my life will have to be this way.

Is there any other guys who are like who feel the same way and in the same situation?

Scroll to see replies

That's not true. I'm sure you will find someone that absolutely adores you. Don't live your life according to how society would view you, rather, live your life according to how you feel fit. There is no science in the world which says that a person can't get a girlfriend / be in a relationship. Keep your head held up high and live your life.
Very sad to read ;( ....I know the grass is always greener on the other side. I had a ten year relationship that ended and I wish that I had your experience of having no relationship. Your in a great position when you do find someone worth it it will make no difference to them ...personally if I found someone like that I'd find it an attractive trait! It is obviously very difficult for you but it really shouldn't be ...yes it's ok to get upset but deep despair is not worth it. Make sure you talk to us people on here of you feel bad..we try to cheer you up. Look after yourself x:smile:

Sarah

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
You're thinking about this the wrong way, like you mentioned you have 50-60 years left that's plenty of time.
Instead of wallowing away use this to spur yourself into action, work on yourself and the areas of your life you're not happy with.
As for 'bad genes' that's really not how attraction and reporoduction tends to work these days. Why is it you feel you'll never find anyone?
Reply 4
Original post by JD.27
Why is it you feel you'll never find anyone?

Because the vast majority of women do not like dating an inexperianced by the time you are 25/26 and have never had a girlfriend you will be alientating 80-90% of women.

I recognise this and it is driving me crazy to the point of pure depression. I know I have to live like this and there's nothing I can do. :frown::frown::frown::frown:
It wouldnt put me off you, i have went out with a 26 year old virgin before. He did turn out to be horrible but i wouldnt let my experience put me off a nice 26 year old :smile: i would prefer it actually, it suggests that you dont sleep around and your virginity means more to you. You are definately not too old to get a girlfriend.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Because the vast majority of women do not like dating an inexperianced by the time you are 25/26 and have never had a girlfriend you will be alientating 80-90% of women.

I recognise this and it is driving me crazy to the point of pure depression. I know I have to live like this and there's nothing I can do. :frown::frown::frown::frown:

There's a lot you can do, if you feel your inexperience is holding back then start seeking casual sex? If not then hold out, there are lot's of girls who remain inexperienced, they would still be an option. Even amongst experienced girls I can't imagine it being a deal breaker if you connect on all other levels.
Once you've lost it everything will still be the same, you'll wake up and nothings different and you'll wonder why you were so fussed about it before.
An episode of Jeremy Kyle is enough to convince that you don't need to be some perceived 'genetic winner' to get laid.

Your problems are psychological and entirely based on you.
Reply 8
Some people on the Jeremy Kyle show may look ugly. But at least they have social skills.

I have absolutely none. And can't get a girlfriend realise that internet polling has showed me that girls wont date people over the age of 25+/30+ who are virgins, at least most them, like 60% from what I've found.

So thats most of the female population. Excellent, screwed for life. Its awful feeling like this.
Reply 9
Some people on the Jeremy Kyle show may look ugly. But at least they have social skills.

I have absolutely none. And can't get a girlfriend realise that internet polling has showed me that girls wont date people over the age of 25+/30+ who are virgins, at least most them, like 60% from what I've found.

So thats most of the female population. Excellent, screwed for life. Its awful feeling like this.

Work on your social skills, learn how to interact with people. These skills can be learned.
Internet polling is hardly reliable, there are loads of girls who are virgins in their early twenties (just scroll through these threads) and if you want casual sex a girl won't even get round to asking about your history. Stop making excuses for yourself and ignoring all the evidence on the contrary, you are not 'screwed for life'.
I think there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get a girlfriend now or in the future. 26 really isn't that old, and although most men have lost their virginity by that age, there will be a lot out there who haven't, and a guy being a virgin isn't necessarily a turn-off y'know.

Social skills are a tricky one..I can relate there. I had an eating disorder and depression and my social skills were awful and I got to the stage where I could barely talk to people other than my close family and friends. The more I believed I was a social failure, the more I was a social failure. I can assure you, these things can improve and you've got to just try to push yourself socially and start believing in yourself.

No one is asking for you to be really confident, because not everyone likes that. I guess it only seems as though the confident., outgoing guys get the girls, but that's probably because they are that confident and popular and so it's more known. But many girls would much prefer a quiet, more reserved, kind sort of guy, and there's no reason why someone wouldn't like you. Love is love, you can't choose it, it just happens. And really, if someone likes you for you, genuinely, then they aren't going to mind too much about your inexperience because they like/love YOU.

I definitely think that your only problem here is reading into your age and statistics too much...you need to believe in yourself and know that you will be someone's 'special person' one day, because there's nothino wrong with you :smile:
Reply 11
Ok guys I have to come to terms with something thats bothered me for a long time.

I'm a virgin, I'm 25 and I turn 26 in a couple of months. In addition I've never had a relationship either.

From my experiances, this a major red flag for the majority of women say 80-90% of them when you get to this age. Its bothered me so much that I even considered suicide on many occassions last year, but now I'm seeking councilling about it and my social life in general.

I've have always believed I am a poor set of genes and that I have simply deserved this. Social darwinism and natural selection has played its part and that I am simply not up to societies standards. I've come to conclusion that I can't have children, because I would passing on bad genes, science is certainly telling me this.

I can't get a girlfriend, and by nearly 26 I've never had one and I know by the time you get to this age you'll never get one. No girlfriend by 25, and well, you're love life is over. No women are going to want an inexperianced guy and thats understandable.

Is it this hard to accept? You damn right it is, infact its killing me inside, but after being suicidal for months about it, I realise that the only way I can imagine to stay alive is learning how to live with it and learning to accept myself.

I'm going to go through life without having a girlfriend as I'm simply too old now, I have another 50-60 years to live in this world and I've got to be able to learn to live with this fact and at the moment its ROCK HARD. I'm crying every night even now.

But science is telling that I cannot have a girlfriend or a relationship, the signs are pointing this way and I'm so depressed accepting this fact but I know I have to if there's anyway I can live on this planet for another 50-60 years successfully.

Life's just not meant to be sometimes, I didn't choose to be born in this world, I didn't choose to go through this in some ways, its natural selection playing its part and I fully accept it.

Buts its very depressing, almost like grieving knowing my life will have to be this way.

Is there any other guys who are like who feel the same way and in the same situation?

In the even that you are serious, then my advice to you would be to stop whining about such a minor issue and start living life. No other person can make life important to you, only you can.

There are people in far worse situations than you. In the grand scheme of things, not having a girlfriend is an extremely minor thing.

Also, there are lots of opportunities to meet other women who wouldn't mind if you're a virgin. Of course if you focus on it, it will be a problem. But if you develop yourself, make yourself an interesting person, and have other things going for you, then the fact that you've never had sex/a girlfriend will be trivial
Reply 12
Original post by dgeorge
In the even that you are serious, then my advice to you would be to stop whining about such a minor issue and start living life. No other person can make life important to you, only you can.

There are people in far worse situations than you. In the grand scheme of things, not having a girlfriend is an extremely minor thing.

Also, there are lots of opportunities to meet other women who wouldn't mind if you're a virgin. Of course if you focus on it, it will be a problem. But if you develop yourself, make yourself an interesting person, and have other things going for you, then the fact that you've never had sex/a girlfriend will be trivial

You think I'm not serious, I just wrote that out for fun?

Of course I'm serious I view that if I don't get a girlfriend by 25/26, I'll never have one, I thinks that well documented with internet polling that does suggest that 60%+ (i.e. more than half) would not under any circumstances date a virgin at that age.

I'd like it not to be a big deal for me, but it is because I believe it is for others, or at least research has led me to believe that.
Reply 13
You think I'm not serious, I just wrote that out for fun?

Of course I'm serious I view that if I don't get a girlfriend by 25/26, I'll never have one, I thinks that well documented with internet polling that does suggest that 60%+ (i.e. more than half) would not under any circumstances date a virgin at that age.

I'd like it not to be a big deal for me, but it is because I believe it is for others, or at least research has led me to believe that.

1. What women SAY and what they actually DO are two different things

2. Even if EVERY SINGLE ONE of the women said so, then there are still the other 40% left. Seriously, there are literally hundreds of thousands of women JUST IN THE UK who would be willing to go out with a guy. It may not be easy to find these women, but they DO exist.

3. You can't live your life waiting for someone else to make you happy. YOU need to make yourself happy.
Reply 14
Original post by dgeorge
1. What women SAY and what they actually DO are two different things

2. Even if EVERY SINGLE ONE of the women said so, then there are still the other 40% left. Seriously, there are literally hundreds of thousands of women JUST IN THE UK who would be willing to go out with a guy. It may not be easy to find these women, but they DO exist.

3. You can't live your life waiting for someone else to make you happy. YOU need to make yourself happy.

Yeah I recognise that and this is the part that depresses me, that although maybe saying its impossible to get a girlfriend after 25 of never having one is a bit extreme, its certainly very difficult and its that difficulty that depresses the hell out of me.

I totally understand your third point. I recognise I can't start this without that so yes I take your advice on this one.
Reply 15
Of course it is possible and for some people it is even preferable. I've never been in any kind of relationship and have no desire to start now.

The most important thing is to not let it bother you. Can I ask why is it that getting a GF is such an important thing? It is such a small part of what you can get from life however many people seem to focus on this one aspect- There are many other things which will bring equal enjoyment. Being in a relationship is often presented as such an important thing but don't feel dissapointed in yourself for not getting there yet. Even if it is a bad as you suggest (which it almost certainly isn't) and you aren't good enough for anyone then just forget them and focus on you.

Instead you should try looking at what else you can do with your life. Being in a relationship isn't all fun, there are downsides too. Being single you can focus all you attention and resources onto yourself. Find the things you like and the goals you want to acheive and go get them, your life is completely your own. The most important thing in your life is enjoying it- if one path isn't making you happy just try another until you find the right one.
Reply 16
Yeah I recognise that and this is the part that depresses me, that although maybe saying its impossible to get a girlfriend after 25 of never having one is a bit extreme, its certainly very difficult and its that difficulty that depresses the hell out of me.

I totally understand your third point. I recognise I can't start this without that so yes I take your advice on this one.

I guess it's just your point of view. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's "very difficult", but of course you have a totally different point of view! I think that if you're already thinking about how difficult it will be, it will seriously stunt your approach!

There are many women out there who do not mind a guy who is a virgin. Again, the most important thing for you to do is to really find yourself, start doing things you love, and not get hung up on being a virgin. When this happens, you become much more attractive, and also you begin to feel better about yourself.

I hope I wasn't unduly harsh, but I think the worse thing you can do is pity yourself for how bad your past has been. What you CAN look forward to is how great YOU will make your future.

Ignore facts for your fiction if you so wish, ignore that it's up to you to improve yourself and that you can improve your social skills & chances. Ignore that it's about attitude rather than whether you're a virgin or not.

But please refrain from negging people who try and advise you. It's pretty rude.
Reply 18
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Ignore facts for your fiction if you so wish, ignore that it's up to you to improve yourself and that you can improve your social skills & chances. Ignore that it's about attitude rather than whether you're a virgin or not.

But please refrain from negging people who try and advise you. It's pretty rude.

Huh I didn't neg anybody?? :confused:

I don't rep positively or negatively on this forum. reps aren't something I'm interested in. I've hardly repped people EVER.

You have to be careful when accuse people of certain things which you have no evidence for. That could be quite rude yourself ever considered it?

Some other clown who entered my thread must of done it. I'd like an apology but of course you're probably too stubburn to admit you were wrong.

Anyway I appreciate your advice and contribution and I'll take it on board.
I think the research you've found or conducted yourself is unrepresentative of the world's entire female population! There is someone out there for you but you cannot give up now trying to find her, as you say you have another 50/60 years of life and you will find her!
Plus the fact that you are a virgin shouldn't be a negative thing, who cares if you are I certainly wouldn't care if my boyfriend was! Relationships shouldn't be based upon sex they should be based upon you and the other person and how well you connect as a couple!

Latest

Trending

Trending