The Student Room Group

UCAS points help - BTEC

Hi im studying a National Diploma in Creative Media and i've been told there is a whole new system inwhich these are converted into ucas points. I was wondering if anyone could help me work it out.

It was a 18 unit course all equal units and im pretty sure i have 10 D's 4 M'S and 4 P's. I also have Functional skills level 2 in maths which i heard was 10 points.

Would be very greatful if someone could help me calculate and put my mind at ease, im not sure if i've got what i needed.

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not familiar with that qualification, but you can see how many UCAS points it's worth here :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
I'm not familiar with that qualification, but you can see how many UCAS points it's worth here :smile:

Thats the problem i have, the conversion system isnt even on there. They all exclude National Diploma. Thanks anyway.
Original post by Smerky
Thats the problem i have, the conversion system isnt even on there. They all exclude National Diploma. Thanks anyway.

If it's not on there it could be that it doesn't have a UCAS points equivalent. Not every type of qualification does. Most non-UK qualifications, for example, don't convert directly into UCAS points. It shouldn't be a problem, but it would be a good idea to contact universities you're interested in applying to making sure they accept your qualification and what sort of grades they look for :yes:
Since when has it been updated? I mean, I achieved a triple distinction last year after completing my BTEC National Diploma in IT course.
Reply 5
It has to be put into BTEC points then into UCAS, i know they accept the diploma im just clueless to how many ucas points i currently have. Im looking for someone to help me convert.
I see what you mean. What I meant is when was this new system used? Has it changed since last year?

Because when I undertook my BTEC course, I'm pretty sure than a pass was 6, a merit was 12 and a distinction was 18... Total it all up and convert, which I did via the calculator provided by UCAS.

Hope I'm not confusing you because I'm not totally sure.
Original post by Beatlemania
I see what you mean. What I meant is when was this new system used? Has it changed since last year?

Because when I undertook my BTEC course, I'm pretty sure than a pass was 6, a merit was 12 and a distinction was 18... Total it all up and convert, which I did via the calculator provided by UCAS.

This certainly was the case - I, like you, have no idea if it has changed or not though.
Reply 8

That would make it impossible to get DDD - 360 points within 18 unit course so im not sure. I heard it all changed either this year or the last from my tutor but they aren't the smartest people. I suppose ill never get a answer.
Reply 9
whats the highest amount of ucas points you can earn on a it btec extended diploma level 3 which has 12 units

in southgate college
Original post by Smerky
Hi im studying a National Diploma in Creative Media and i've been told there is a whole new system inwhich these are converted into ucas points. I was wondering if anyone could help me work it out.

It was a 18 unit course all equal units and im pretty sure i have 10 D's 4 M'S and 4 P's. I also have Functional skills level 2 in maths which i heard was 10 points.

Would be very greatful if someone could help me calculate and put my mind at ease, im not sure if i've got what i needed.

Thanks

It does have UCAS value i know that for definate because i helped tally result marks for my class. I did creative media as well so it definately does. I personally did an extended diploma but half my class did the national. Each of your grades is worth a certain amount of points. The credit value for each class (usually 5 or 10) is then multipled by a number depending on the grade you've got. It can be found on the edexcel website if you look for it, it's written as a formula.

Basically, you apply the formula to each of your classes. You should end up with somewhere around 1500 points, rougly. Then you look at the grade boundaries, also on the site, for example it goes from PPP, MPP, MMP, MMM, DMM, DDM etc etc etc. Wherever your grade point is on that table is the overall grade you've come out with. It'll take you a bit of work to figure it all out but it's foolproof. Once you've got the grade, look up the overall grade on the UCAS point tariff sheet and you'll see what you've got.

ALSO, you could do this. http://www.speedking.eu/grade-calculator/ it's a grade calculator. I checked this against every single person in my class' result sheet and it was right every time. If you need anymore help on it give me a shout and i can help you out mate.
Reply 11
Hello, i've just finished the subsidiary diploma in Creative Media Production. All of our units either had a value of five or ten credit values. (It's usually ten) If each unit has a credit value of 10, then a pass would be 7x10, a merit 8x10, and a distinction 9x10.

Working that out with those grades you'd achieve 1500 points on the extended diploma.

1500 points is DDD overall.

DDD = AAA = 360 UCAS points (370 with the other qualification you said)

The 18 unit qualification is now called the extended diploma. I'm assuming this is what you're studying.

I could be completely wrong here, but thought i'd tell you what I think you've achieved. I'd contact UCAS and Edexcel for confirmation.

Hope this helps.
It sounds like DDD to me, but I'm not sure. I have a chart lying around somewhere, I'll try to find it.
Original post by cooldude17
whats the highest amount of ucas points you can earn on a it btec extended diploma level 3 which has 12 units

in southgate college

Surely it's 18 (points for a distinction) x 12 (units)? Meaning the max. would be 216 points.

I might be wrong though.
Surely it's 18 (points for a distinction) x 12 (units)? Meaning the max. would be 216 points.

I might be wrong though.

No they're not tallied like that. Needs to total around 1500 points. Bit more complicated. Involves a formula for working out the points for each class. Then add them all together.
Reply 15
Original post by Smerky

Thanks

Sorry if someone already posted, too many post can't be asked to read. I also studied BTEC. certain uni's don't accept Functional skills because it's equivalent to GCSE maths, infact GCSE maths is better but they can't be used as points.

u got 360 UCAS points, that is really impressive, congratulations. How could u not know, this is a dream grade u got here lol

GL in whatever you want to do
Original post by Smerky

Thanks

I don't think functional skills maths is worth any UCAS points because it's level 2 rather than level 3. I'm also not sure what it is that you're having the problem with but to know how many UCAS points you have you need to calculate the grade of your qualification first.

Assuming that all of your units are level 3..

4 Ps = 280
4 Ms = 320
10 Ds = 900
=1500
=DDD which is equivalent to 360 UCAS points.

Presuming you have now finished and are no longer studying... you should really have been working this stuff out about 6 months ago lol

Also, the confusion you might be having is probably because it isn't technically a national diploma that you're studying. The national diplomas stopped last year. You'll be studying/have studied a BTEC extended diploma if you've finished this year. There's no difference in what it's worth or anything, it's just a different name because they changed the system.
Original post by cooldude17

in southgate college

There's no such thing as a btec extended diploma with 12 units. The btec extended diploma has 18 units.

The most UCAS points you can get from the BTEC 12 unit diploma is 280 points with D*D*. It's a little more complicated than that in terms of entry to university though because it's not all about points with BTECs so most universities will want the BTEC extended diploma as it shows a wider breadth of study.

I might be wrong though.

No..... it doesn't work like that at all..

for level 3 units there are 7 points for a pass, 8 points for a merit and 9 points for a distinction.

for level 2 units there are 5 points for a pass, 6 points for a merit and 7 points for a distinction.

you multiply the appropriate number (depending on the grade achieved and level of the unit) by the number of credits that the unit is worth.

A full unit is worth 10 credits but you get the odd half unit which is worth only 5.

So basically.. a distinction in a level 3 unit worth 10 credits gives you 90 points. A pass in a level unit worth 5 credits would only give you 25 points....

Then you add them all up and the grade boundaries mostly go up in 40s.

1250-PPP, 1300-MPP, 1340-MMP, 1380-MMM, 1420-DMM, 1460-DDM, 1500-DDD, 1530-D*DD, 1560-D*D*D, 1590-D*D*D*.

Also you don't get any extra points for extra units surplus to the 180 credits to boost your grade.
Original post by ClaireeRoisin
No they're not tallied like that. Needs to total around 1500 points. Bit more complicated. Involves a formula for working out the points for each class. Then add them all together.

:curious:

I think you mean 'points for each unit'. If you use the word 'class' it's going to confuse people as it doesn't really make sense. Unless of course you have 18+ different lecturers teaching you in which case I guess it would make sense for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending