The Student Room Group

Reference help needed

Hi everyone!

I'm having a bit of a dilemma in terms of references for jobs. I've got my cv ready etc, and am ready to apply for jobs - almost! My problem is that I'm short on references. I'm fine to use a university tutor as one of them - but that's about it. I don't have any work experience (except for a paper round, and two stints in a charity shop - but these were a good few years ago and from what I can tell, the bosses - as with most of the other staff - no longer work there).

So I need some advice really, as I'm guessing I'd need at least two references. Is it acceptable to use two university tutors? I don't have contact details for my college tutors, but I could try to track them down if that would help (though it was over three years since any of them taught me). Also, in terms of a personal or character reference, again I don't really have much to go on - save for family friends, but none of them have known me in any kind of professional capacity.

What do you guys think would be my best bet?
Original post by petwil90
Hi everyone!

I'm having a bit of a dilemma in terms of references for jobs. I've got my cv ready etc, and am ready to apply for jobs - almost! My problem is that I'm short on references. I'm fine to use a university tutor as one of them - but that's about it. I don't have any work experience (except for a paper round, and two stints in a charity shop - but these were a good few years ago and from what I can tell, the bosses - as with most of the other staff - no longer work there).

So I need some advice really, as I'm guessing I'd need at least two references. Is it acceptable to use two university tutors? I don't have contact details for my college tutors, but I could try to track them down if that would help (though it was over three years since any of them taught me). Also, in terms of a personal or character reference, again I don't really have much to go on - save for family friends, but none of them have known me in any kind of professional capacity.

What do you guys think would be my best bet?

Two tutors is ok. What have you been doing for the last 3 years that has left you completely devoid of any professional contact with adults?

Remember that you don't offer any details of referees until you are asked for them. Don't make any mention of them on CVs.
I think it completely depends on the company in question. I think a lot of people would be happy with the two tutor references. I do the pe-employment checks of new starters in a County Coucil and there are a lot of set rules on what we can and can't accept as references, mainly because everything gets audited and we get in trouble if the auditors aren't happy so I'm guessing bigger organisations are more picky. I think what you're best off doing is use the tutor but also see if you can track down the company who employed you as a paper boy and the company should be able to give you a factual reference which essentially just confirms your dates of employment and job title and not much else.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Two tutors is ok. What have you been doing for the last 3 years that has left you completely devoid of any professional contact with adults?

Remember that you don't offer any details of referees until you are asked for them. Don't make any mention of them on CVs.

Must admit this is a bit of a wild guess and it may be way off, but I recon he might of been a student doing a 3 yr degree which would explain the tutors for references instead of employers.
Reply 4
Original post by INTit
Must admit this is a bit of a wild guess and it may be way off, but I recon he might of been a student doing a 3 yr degree which would explain the tutors for references instead of employers.

Spot on! I've tried getting summer jobs every year, but no luck sadly :frown:

Thanks for the replies everyone - reassuring to know that two tutors will probably be ok. I've tracked down the company who ran the paper round I did, and I've sent them an email about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending