The Student Room Group

Applying abroad to study medicine (Romania, Bulgaria etc)..NEED HELP !!!

Hi :smile:

I know there are loads of similar posts around, but some are quite old so just wanted some current advice. Basically im in limbo..Ive realised im in a dead end course (just ended first year at uni) which was my back up to medicine where i had a place but was rejected on my final grades. Ive always wanted to do medicine, but i never really thought about studying abroad because of fees etc..with fees going up in UK and the competition for post grad theres no real guarantee here either. I just wanted to know the application process/how easy it is to get in abroad especially as my grades arent the best (let myself down) missing some subjects e.g. physics and i would really want entry this year, which i understand could be relatively tough as deadlines have passed. Sorry about the essay :smile:, but i would really appreciate any advice/help because i honestly dont have a clue what to do........

GCSE
Maths A*, Geog A, Bio A, Chem A, Phys A, PE A, RE A, Eng Lang/Lit B, Graphics B

A level
PE A, BIO B, Gen studies B, Chem C

I have been looking at european unis, especially romanian ones but the information online is not really clear enough added to the fact theres about a million agencies, with thier own agenda

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I think it might b difficult in uk for the 5year medcourse, but i think u might b able to apply to medicine with foundation year. Some bio med courses allow you to transfer to medicine I think Newcastle uni bio med course allows transfer but only if u fulfil a certain criteria.
Reply 3
Most unis abroad look at what you get in their entrance exams, Charles university in Prague there are plenty others but most cost loads. If u need any help feel free to mesg me. I was in a hurry when Writing this so appologies if i didn't answer your question.
Reply 4
Original post by hello786
I think it might b difficult in uk for the 5year medcourse, but i think u might b able to apply to medicine with foundation year. Some bio med courses allow you to transfer to medicine I think Newcastle uni bio med course allows transfer but only if u fulfil a certain criteria.

foundation courses are for people who dont have chem and often bio
Reply 5
Original post by msadvisors
x

Hi,
can you advise me on this. I am a UK A-level student going to Buglaria to study medicine. I was wondering can I come back to UK for FY1 training onwards.

Those wishing to return to the UK after their Foundation Training are not permitted to undertake both Foundation Year 1 and Foundation Year 2 years abroad.
I have read the below and gotten very confused, as the med course in Bulgaria is 6 years and is considered to contain the FY1 year, although I'd happily do it again if it means I can work in the UK.

Most Foundation Schools will not give permission for F1 to be completed overseas (for example, North Central Thames Foundation School NCTFS - only permits non-UK/EEA citizens to apply for this in their home countries and they need to accept that they will apply in open competition for any vacant F2 posts, if they decide to return to the UK to complete F2). It is likely that you will need to gain permission from both your Medical School and Foundation School

As always, you need to plan very early and allow at least 8 months planning timeahead of your start of F1 year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Right basically I am from Romania so maybe I can help.
Medicine has an admissions test which is sat in July ish. Which city were you considering if any at all? I'd say Cluj, Iasi or Bucharest. A bit more emphasis on Cluj maybe.
:tongue: what else would you like to know?
Edit: they like foreigners so they might give you a scholarship. But do you speak the language at all? They might have some language courses do be taken simultaneously while you do the degree.
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LG-P940
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi my NAME is sam

I have sent my documents on the 7th of august to the ministry of education to get the equivalence certificate letter in order to apply to the medical course at carol davila. But I am confused and I am not sure how I can get the letter, for example do they send it in the post to me, or do I have to come to Romania and collect it myself or does the ministry send it directly to the university.

I would really appreciate any advice and help you can give me thank you so much for being so kind and helpful. >

hope to here from you soon
Reply 8
Is the an entry exam to carol davila for EU students??? ( if there is how is it like). Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
yeah they have an entry exams (testing basic english language skills), they do several exam sessions in September. are you thinking of applying to carol davila
Reply 10
Original post by Nightingale
Medicine has an admissions test which is sat in July ish. Which city were you considering if any at all? I'd say Cluj, Iasi or Bucharest. A bit more emphasis on Cluj maybe.
Edit: they like foreigners so they might give you a scholarship. But do you speak the language at all? They might have some language courses do be taken simultaneously while you do the degree.

Hi my NAME is sam

I have sent my documents on the 7th of august to the ministry of education to get the equivalence certificate letter in order to apply to the medical course at carol davila. But I am confused and I am not sure how I can get the letter, for example do they send it in the post to me, or do I have to come to Romania and collect it myself or does the ministry send it directly to the university.

I would really appreciate any advice and help you can give me thank you so much for being so kind and helpful. >

Original post by almays88
Hi my NAME is sam

Do you perhaps have a phone number from them you can use and find out?
Did you have any conversation with them prior to you sending these?
Or even contact the university? They might know as they've done this in the past with other students?

Reply 12
Original post by Nightingale

Hi Nightingale! I was wondering if you could advice me on how i would apply to Cluj for medical school and the procedures? Ive been looking online and the information isnt as clear!
Reply 13
There seems to be lots of conflicting information on here regarding some important issues surrounding studying in Romania. It is really tough to get accurate info but several of the posts on here do contain errors.

I've been to Romania this year and visited all the main unis as I wanted to get some first hand experience and talk to the unis. The 2 websites that seem to contain the most accurate up to date information are:

studymedicineinromania . com &
medxl . co . uk
medicalstudyguide . com

There are loads of other sites up with info but much of that info is outdated re fees and admissions process, details of exams etc. Medicalstudyguide have info about dentistry and pharmacy as well as medicine, Studymedicineinromania is mainly focused on Iasi and has good info for students wanting to go to that uni. Medxl focus purely on medicine, are based in the UK and have NHS hospital contacts and some really detailed important info concerning returning to the UK to work as a doctor with a Romanian qualification.
Reply 14
Original post by Arran.Williamson
Hi,

I've once again been rejected from medicine in the UK but I really fancy doing it in Romania (Carol Davila) in October.

From what I've seen in various websites is that they give you some kind of oral and written English exam and the top 100 scoring candidates are offered a place. Does this mean that all my prior education is pretty much surplus as long as I make the basic requirements.

A levels: Psychology A*; Biology A; Chemistry A.

Degree: 2.1 in a BSc Biochemistry from King's College London

If I was to get the 101 highest score would I not be awarded a place, even if my other grades are better than my competitors?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Arran

hi,
ive just applied to study at ovidius university in constanta romania through mda med degree abroad. i wanted to apply to carol davila through plusmedstudents but i heard that all the british students got rejected there last year and everyones avoiding plusmed and carol davila. So i thought id give mda and constanta a go because it definitely seems the next best to bucaharest. Anyway, i went to check it out last weekend and was shown around both bucharest and constanta by an agent and they both seem decent but i personally dont like the quick lifestyle in bucharest, constanta is abit more down to earth and peaceful so i think its a better place for a student like me, thats my personal opinion though. im really looking forward to checking the constanta beach out in the summer, from what ive heard its the place to be, sounds amazing
Reply 15
Hey last year I applied to carol Davila and there were about 40 students (around 35 applied through plus med) from the UK, all got rejected and they don't care about your grades, all that matters is the English test results. I also got rejected so I decided to go along with around 15 British students to Craiova since it is the biggest medical Uni in Romania with the biggest hospital.
I love it here at the moment and the university organise elections and allow students to take control of the organisation of the course and there are so many opportunities to do practical work in the hospital and clinics here. The city is great with lots to do and a great night life and funny enough it is a lot safer than majority of UK cities which is something I didn't expect before coming here.

If you have any question send me a message ?
Reply 16
Original post by Arran.Williamson
Hi,

I've once again been rejected from medicine in the UK but I really fancy doing it in Romania (Carol Davila) in October.

From what I've seen in various websites is that they give you some kind of oral and written English exam and the top 100 scoring candidates are offered a place. Does this mean that all my prior education is pretty much surplus as long as I make the basic requirements.

A levels: Psychology A*; Biology A; Chemistry A.

Degree: 2.1 in a BSc Biochemistry from King's College London

If I was to get the 101 highest score would I not be awarded a place, even if my other grades are better than my competitors?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Arran

You have an excellent chance of getting a place. I'm not sure what the agenda of the previous poster is. I have been to Bucharest and that is not the imformation I have. The main thing is passing this English language exam. Yes, sometimes UK students have failed it because they haven't taken it seriously, or perhaps although they are UK citizens English is not their native language. The test does require you to have a good standard of English language, correct spelling and grammar etc. The lady I spoke with said some students had used 'texting language'. Well of course they're going to fail!
The other entrance exam which is more competitive is only for those who speak Romanian. Check out medxl.co.uk they have all info. I made contact with them recently and they were so helpful and in the UK too. In your case anything prior to A levels doesn't matter. The complicated thing is the actual admissions process.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by nsl
You have an excellent chance of getting a place. I'm not sure what the agenda of the previous poster is. I have been to Bucharest and that is not the imformation I have. The main thing is passing this English language exam. Yes, sometimes UK students have failed it because they haven't taken it seriously, or perhaps although they are UK citizens English is not their native language. The test does require you to have a good standard of English language, correct spelling and grammar etc. The lady I spoke with said some students had used 'texting language'. Well of course they're going to fail!
The other entrance exam which is more competitive is only for those who speak Romanian. Check out medxl.co.uk they have all info. I made contact with them recently and they were so helpful and in the UK too. In your case anything prior to A levels doesn't matter. The complicated thing is the actual admissions process.

im sorry but almays88 is correct, i know 3 people who were rejected there last year, out of 45 british students, less than 5 got in, the uni has it against brits. I would avoid it if i was u...the people who got rejected were not stupid enough to use 'texting language', sorry pal but thats a load of rubbish. this medxl.co.uk have lied to u
Reply 18
Original post by sidsingh
im sorry but almays88 is correct, i know 3 people who were rejected there last year, out of 45 british students, less than 5 got in, the uni has it against brits. I would avoid it if i was u...the people who got rejected were not stupid enough to use 'texting language', sorry pal but thats a load of rubbish. this medxl.co.uk have lied to u

I went to Bucharest personally and was told by the actual staff in the department - not by medxl or any company - by the Faculty themselves. They told me that all the British that applied were of other ethnicities and many had what they considered to be "a poor standard of English spelling and grammar" and didn't take the exam at all seriously and some didn't speak English at home. They said that the exam does test proper traditional English grammar and many students educated in countries with more traditional education systems ie Africa and India were better prepared to pass the language exam than students from Britain because we don't teach English grammar in schools here anymore. They also said some students had used 'u' instead of 'you'.
Reply 19
Original post by sidsingh

Where is your information from - that 45 students from the UK applied last year? Who told you that the university only gave offers to 5 British students? How do you know that more Brits were not given offers but decided to reject those offers and study elsewhere? Where are you getting your statistics from?

Quick Reply

Latest