The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
S3 is useful, as is S4 (but TBH, so few people do S4, i wouldnt worry if you can't) D2 has some game theory in, but if you hate decision maths (as some people seem to) don't stress.
Mechanics is less beneficial, unless you get to M3 and M4 where good manipulation of differential equaitons is important (but seeing as you do these in pure, again don't stress)
Of those on offer, i would suggest S2 and D2.

However, the exact modules you do will not be that important when it comes to getting a place, i'm just suggesting what modules will help you if you get here, and trust me, you want to have covered as much of the course before you get here if possible!
Reply 21
EconLou
Firstly, History is not pointless, in fact you do a history paper in your first year, and if you have studies some of the topics (such as Industrial Revolution) at A Level it would definitely aid you. It also provides a solid essay-writing background, which is essential when you are writing 16 essays a term.

Secondly, Further Maths is a HUGE advantage. Not least because the course here is really very mathematical. First year maths does go beyond the further maths syllabus (slightly) and the course really does move at some pace, so keeping up without further maths is more difficult. Also, given the number of people who really struggle with second year maths, FM is the best indication you can give to the college that you can definitely handle it.
Just as an indication, I can think of perhaps 3 or 4 people who i have spoken to in lectures who have not done FM. in my college, out of 7 of us, 6 have done FM. It's not so much that you are at a slight disadvantge without it, more that you are at a significant advantage with FM. You have to understand just how competitive Econ at cam it to get in for. You need to differentiate yourself from the average applicant as much as possible.

I know this may not help you that much now, seeing as we are already 3 months into the academic year, but to anyone else who is a year behind you, hopefully they will gain something from this.

did all the people in your college get A in further maths??
and is further maths used in an offer most of the time i.e 4As if u r doin 4 a levels
Reply 22
vinsta
when people say cambridge want 90%+ in exams is that the raw or the ums mark?? because u have to give the individual raw marks on the application form not ums

No it's UMS.
economics_alltheway
Extra-curricular wise, I wouldn't recommend Young Enterprise. I did it last year and I didn't even bother to put it down on my ps.

Absolute Rubbish.

There are many reasons why you should do YE.

1. It's good employment wise.
2. It DOES look good on an economics PS
3. It teaches real life experiences, interactions, presentations etc.
4. It's FUN!

Obviously, just doing it isn't enough. You have to do it properly. If you make a good product, and win through a round or two, it'll pay dividends. I really enjoyed it!

PS: Economics alltheway - if you did YE you were probably beaten by us in the Oxfordshire round if you entered! :wink:
Reply 24
Hello everyone

I will be applying for Cambridge for Economics. I will be taking Maths, FM, Economics, french, Govt and Poliics as my As / A level subjects. Do you guys think I have the right subjects? Do you think I can strengthen my application by taking some other alternate subjects especially in lieu of French Or Govt and Politics? any advise on this issue will be appreciated.

(I will be finishing my GCSC this year - I like to preplan :smile: )

Thanks to advise in advance.
Further maths really is a necessity for oxbridge in my opinion.

YE is well respected too. You can learn many valuable lessons from being part of a YE "team" :smile:

If you get thru a couple of rounds and make it to the serious levels then it is an excellent way to show you have some business knowledge

Plus - rlevant work experience is now a huge plus!!!!
Reply 26
Yes, those seem good. Maths is required, Further Maths and Economics are ideal, and to be honest your other subjects won't really make much of a difference. Avoid Cambridge's 'blacklist' and you'll be fine (even then, they are happy to take applicants with one subject from it).

I think the subjects you choose are much less important than doing well in them. Just try hard from the start and go for A grades (or as as it will be in your case, A* grades).

Good luck :smile:
Yup, I think it's a good combination; Maths, Further Maths and Economics are the important ones, and as long as the other subjects are respected and rigorous I think you can do any.
Reply 28
I can't really offer you advice, as I don't have my interview for another 2 weeks, but I can tell you my situation.

I, really, haven't done too much extra-curricular stuff. I did a Further Maths AS (it's entirely after school, and I dropped it this year as I'm carrying on with 5 subjects in school time), I've had an Excellence in Industry Bursary, and I was a reserve for the Interest Rates Challenge (I couldn't do it because it the other participants had free periods to organise it when I had a lesson). I've also done a bit of reading around the subject - fun stuff like Freakonomics and The Undercover Economist are particularly enjoyable, but I'd recommend a quick glance at The Economist newspaper too.

So I've not really done much, but if you look good on paper (in terms of grades) and come across well in the interview, you've got a good chance. At least that's what I hope is the case :p:
If there is a debating society at your school/college I would advise you to get involved and speak as much as you can. It will help develop your confidence no end and make sitting in front of two total strangers who are experts in their field that bit more comfortable. I can honestly say that if I hadn't have gotten involved in debating just over two years ago, I wouldn't be applying to Cambridge today.
Reply 30
Sounds like a perfect combination to me! :smile:
Quite a few colleges like a bit of history in there apparently, I think I read an excerpt from their website that was pasted on here a few weeks back.
Reply 32
If you want it to be "perfect" I'd avoid Government & Politics as it's blacklisted. If you're interested in it, it's easy to keep in touch with it rather than doing the A Level.

As people have said, Maths, FM and Economics are the main ones really. I'd pick a slightly different one for your last one, but something you're good at too, just so you've got a bit of breadth. I'm going Maths, FM, Eco and German :smile:
Reply 33
You should also consider other degrees you may want to do other than Economics and make sure your subject choices don't restrict you from doing them. It's good to keep your options open. For example, you may also be considering doing a Maths degree. It's a good idea to do Physics A-level in that case.
Reply 34
Hi, sorry for jumping in here, but what would people say about Maths, Economics, Geography and History? Even though Further Maths was available at my school I didn't take Further Maths as I don't really enjoy maths, but really want to do Economics. Am I likely to be disadvantaged by not having it? Thanks.
Reply 35
tc123
Hi, sorry for jumping in here, but what would people say about Maths, Economics, Geography and History? Even though Further Maths was available at my school I didn't take Further Maths as I don't really enjoy maths, but really want to do Economics. Am I likely to be disadvantaged by not having it? Thanks.

If you want to do it at Cambridge, then yes, to a certain extent. When I was at Cambridge on an open day, an economics student said "Yeah Economics at Cambridge is like Maths at Cambridge except we actually use numbers".
tc123

The economics course at Cambridge is heavily Maths based. Economics in general is fairly weighted in terms of mathematics...
Reply 37
Further Maths
Maths
Physics
English Lit/History/Economics

All the most numerate subs, and an arts is good just for AS.
Reply 38
El Mariachi
If you want it to be "perfect" I'd avoid Government & Politics as it's blacklisted. If you're interested in it, it's easy to keep in touch with it rather than doing the A Level.

As people have said, Maths, FM and Economics are the main ones really. I'd pick a slightly different one for your last one, but something you're good at too, just so you've got a bit of breadth. I'm going Maths, FM, Eco and German :smile:

Thanks for your input. Can be provide me link - which give informations on Blacklisted subjects - Especially Govt and Politics.

Thanks
Is Govt. and Politics blacklisted for all degree subjects or just Economics etc.? Because I have done it at AS and have continued it to A2 and as far as I am aware there is no problem when applying for SPS...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending