The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex_hk90
I've done the Economics degree; I know it's not there. The Cambridge Economics Tripos is very focussed on the academic side rather than the practical/applied side of things.

And do you know something about the Management Studies degree? Like if I take Maths, and my second year, shift it to Management?
Original post by Alpha510
And do you know something about the Management Studies degree? Like if I take Maths, and my second year, shift it to Management?

I don't really know much about Management, sorry. I think it might only be a Part III though (i.e. you need to do another Tripos first).
I don't really know much about Management, sorry. I think it might only be a Part III though (i.e. you need to do another Tripos first).

Nah it's not, it's a part II that can either be taken as a third year or a fourth year (you're technically allowed to do two part IIs, although I suspect that in practice management is one of the few cases where it would usually be allowed).
Original post by Hashshashin
Nah it's not, it's a part II that can either be taken as a third year or a fourth year (you're technically allowed to do two part IIs, although I suspect that in practice management is one of the few cases where it would usually be allowed).

Thanks for the clarification. :smile: I know people think about taking it after doing the final part of the Economics Tripos (Part IIB).
Thank you for your help guys. :smile:

Perhaps I'll be needing more later. See you, hopefully. :P
Original post by Ray_Han

Note that I am not necessarily saying that taking an AS in AFM will give you an advantage in the admissions process (I'm not an admissions tutor), but rather that it will help you out in terms of preparing for the course if you do get an offer.

I wouldn't agree with that. FM gives you a very slight advantage for one of the first year papers but other than that the core modules don't require any use of FM material. For some of the optional papers in 2nd and 3rd year FM may help, but I know people that have scored high firsts in these without FM. Still, it's definitely worth doing FM to show your competence in maths to the admission tutors.
Original post by somemightsay
I wouldn't agree with that. FM gives you a very slight advantage for one of the first year papers but other than that the core modules don't require any use of FM material. For some of the optional papers in 2nd and 3rd year FM may help, but I know people that have scored high firsts in these without FM. Still, it's definitely worth doing FM to show your competence in maths to the admission tutors.

While the first year papers don't make so much direct use of further maths material, I am saying the more maths, the better, from the point of view that it will make a student more comfortable when picking up new material.
For example, I've been told S3 and S4 don't have that much tripos material, but I think they would have really helped to increase my understanding of statistics and made me more comfortable in picking up the huge amount of stats you learn in first year.
Also, taking further maths made me more comfortable with C3 and C4 topics, which you have to be completely solid on.
Finally, there are certainly some topics, like matrices, which you need to know for first year and would also prove a must to understand thoroughly if you take 2nd year maths.
So I would say that the more maths the better in terms of prep. It will help to take AFM if you can handle it. However, whilst further maths will certainly help in admission, AFM will probably deliver little marginal advantage in comparison.

And yes, you can definitely score highly without further maths, particularly if you are clever enough to pick things up quickly.
Original post by soempty
Due to the amount of modules i would have done by the end of last year in school i would need to do D1 in order to get as grade for Add FM. Would it make my appication better if i had Add FM AS grade (predicted one obviously) or would they not care at all? Is it worth doing?

Can i just tell my teacher that i intend to do D1 and get prediction on my application, but don't actually do the module because it is not going to be included in my offer anyway?

I don't think it would make much of a difference, but if you only need D1 to get the grade then you might as well do it because D1 is extremely easy.

What I wouldn't do though is say you're going to do it and then don't actually do it, because then you'll need to update your application on UCAS which might annoy the universities (e.g. if I was a university admissions person and gave you an offer based on information you provided, and then you changed this information afterwards I wouldn't be particularly impressed).
How did everyone do?
Reply 1289
Original post by bhogs001
How did everyone do?

thought i did ok (with the exception of one exam)

my results were:
chemistry - A (93%)
economics - A (97.5%)
further maths - A (93.3%)
history - A (94%)
maths - A (96%)
general studies - B (75%

how about yourself?
Original post by amg_22
thought i did ok (with the exception of one exam)

my results were:
chemistry - A (93%)
economics - A (97.5%)
further maths - A (93.3%)
history - A (94%)
maths - A (96%)
general studies - B (75%

how about yourself?

Thats so good!!

I got AAAA

maths-91
econ-82
physics 81
geography 80 something

Im a bit annoyed with recieving low as but i cant complain!
Reply 1291
Thats so good!!

I got AAAA

maths-91
econ-82
physics 81
geography 80 something

Im a bit annoyed with recieving low as but i cant complain!

thanks and well done :smile:

may seem low but you meet the entry requirments and you could probably beg your teacher to predict you another A* in econ/physics/geo

where else are you applying?
Original post by amg_22
thanks and well done :smile:

may seem low but you meet the entry requirments and you could probably beg your teacher to predict you another A* in econ/physics/geo

where else are you applying?

Just realised that 162/200 for geog is a high A as it was 90/140 for an A.

I wil try to ask my geog teacher to predict me an a*!

Im applying to LSE, BATH, WARWICK

My insurance is Kent or surrey. You?
Just realised that 162/200 for geog is a high A as it was 90/140 for an A.

This doesn't make sense - an A is always 80% UMS. Maybe it was 90/140 raw marks = 112/140 UMS for an A, but the 162/200 should be UMS (i.e. 81%, a low A).

I wil try to ask my geog teacher to predict me an a*!

Still try to do this though! :yep:
This doesn't make sense - an A is always 80% UMS. Maybe it was 90/140 raw marks = 112/140 UMS for an A, but the 162/200 should be UMS (i.e. 81%, a low A).

Still try to do this though! :yep:

An A is always 80%? I was told that geography is a weird one as for the past few years, it was like 60 something % for an A??? Oh well i still got an A. How did you do?
Reply 1295
An A is always 80%? I was told that geography is a weird one as for the past few years, it was like 60 something % for an A??? Oh well i still got an A. How did you do?

yes 60 something raw marks will get you an A. however on the UMS scale 80 = a, 70 = b and so on...

therefore 60% raw marks = 80%ums
Original post by amg_22
yes 60 something raw marks will get you an A. however on the UMS scale 80 = a, 70 = b and so on...

therefore 60% raw marks = 80%ums

oh right! thanks for clearing that up! With my scores the only a* predicted is maths.
Reply 1297
oh right! thanks for clearing that up! With my scores the only a* predicted is maths.

yeah but like i said you could probably beg at least one of your teachers to predict you high. just say you plan to retake a module and how you found the exam really bad...
How did you do?

:lol: My results day was 5 years ago (see my profile for details) - I've already graduated. :h:
:lol: My results day was 5 years ago (see my profile for details) - I've already graduated. :h:

Oh cool! which college did you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending