The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Can anyone recommend me any good economics-related books to read? I don't mind if they're fairly challenging, and it wouldn't hurt if they were at least loosely relevant to the course (I start this October).
Original post by Pensive
Can anyone recommend me any good economics-related books to read? I don't mind if they're fairly challenging, and it wouldn't hurt if they were at least loosely relevant to the course (I start this October).

If you want related to the course, there are some suggestions here. :smile:
Reply 1322
Original post by alex_hk90
If you want related to the course, there are some suggestions here. :smile:

I was thinking more along the lines of non-textbook stuff, but that's very helpful nonetheless. Cheers :smile:
Original post by Pensive
I was thinking more along the lines of non-textbook stuff, but that's very helpful nonetheless. Cheers :smile:

You're welcome. :smile: In all honesty I wouldn't recommend doing reading beyond what you need for the course, there's more than enough related (mostly textbook) reading to do as it is.
Hello, just decided on Economics at Cambridge recently (been debating between straight philosophy, PPE and geography and economics). Anyway, I'd like to apply to Magdalene.

Atm I'm working on my PS but I'm worried about including behavioural economics because it doesn't seem to be studied at all across the Cambridge course, looking at their module list.

Also, I entered the Marshall Society Article competition thing a while ago and was wondering if anyone knew when they were gonna release the results for that?

Reply 1325
hi, im thinking of applying to read economics at cambridge, but im unsure of which college to apply to in large part due to the wide range in admissions procedures. Could someone who has experience in the following cases explain to me more about it please? I'd like to know what I might expect from a test at interview, a preparatory study at interview and in the interview itself

Many thanks

TPJY
I am also waiting for results of the marshall article comp. Does anyone have any idea when they will be released? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1327
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Hello, just decided on Economics at Cambridge recently (been debating between straight philosophy, PPE and geography and economics). Anyway, I'd like to apply to Magdalene.

Atm I'm working on my PS but I'm worried about including behavioural economics because it doesn't seem to be studied at all across the Cambridge course, looking at their module list.

Also, I entered the Marshall Society Article competition thing a while ago and was wondering if anyone knew when they were gonna release the results for that?

Original post by economist17
I am also waiting for results of the marshall article comp. Does anyone have any idea when they will be released? Thanks :smile:

Pass. I imagine it'll be sorted when they come back for term (so October at the very earliest).

Original post by TPJY
hi, im thinking of applying to read economics at cambridge, but im unsure of which college to apply to in large part due to the wide range in admissions procedures. Could someone who has experience in the following cases explain to me more about it please? I'd like to know what I might expect from a test at interview, a preparatory study at interview and in the interview itself

Many thanks

TPJY

Test at interview will depend on the college - could be maths, could be economics, could be an essay, could be some combination of the three. Preparatory study will likely be an article/graph/table which you're given before the interview and asked to talk about during the interview. As for the interview? We're not allowed to say specifically. It'll differ across colleges, but not in a way that anyone can predict, so don't worry about that difference.
Original post by TPJY

Many thanks

TPJY

Original post by economist17

Hi guys, just to let you know it's being sorted at the moment. Hopefully shortlisting will have been done by the time everyone gets to Cambridge, after which fellows will have to judge and choose the winning articles.
Reply 1329
Original post by lp386
Pass. I imagine it'll be sorted when they come back for term (so October at the very earliest).

Test at interview will depend on the college - could be maths, could be economics, could be an essay, could be some combination of the three. Preparatory study will likely be an article/graph/table which you're given before the interview and asked to talk about during the interview. As for the interview? We're not allowed to say specifically. It'll differ across colleges, but not in a way that anyone can predict, so don't worry about that difference.

Thanks for the reply! For the tests at interview, does the college provide any information on what to expect, any kind of syllabus of what one would be expected to know etc?
Original post by TPJY
Thanks for the reply! For the tests at interview, does the college provide any information on what to expect, any kind of syllabus of what one would be expected to know etc?

The whole point of the interview is to assess how well you cope with unfamiliar material and grasp new concepts or apply existing ones to unusual situations. You need to be well up on your maths which is always assessed and to have kept up with current financial/economic news. If you have done Economics then be confident of the concepts, if you haven't then read a primer of which several are recommended on their websites and in TSR.

Once they find something that stretches you they will talk you through the stages if you don't immediately get it. Its like a supervision and is designed to see how you respond. Make sure you have read any books you have in your PS just in case. As it happened none of mine came up whereas one I hadn't mentioned but had read, did. Along with its author who was the interviewer!
Reply 1331
Original post by TPJY

Not usually. Look on the college website, and perhaps email the admissions office. It depends which college you apply to.
Original post by Ray_Han
Hi guys, just to let you know it's being sorted at the moment. Hopefully shortlisting will have been done by the time everyone gets to Cambridge, after which fellows will have to judge and choose the winning articles.

Hey, so will the shortlisted people be notified by early October?
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Hey, so will the shortlisted people be notified by early October?

Hi, apologies but it's difficult to say at this point. I realise you guys want to get this done in time for the UCAS deadline so you can put it on your personal statement, so if the shortlisting is done before then, I would expect the candidates to be notified. There are a lot of applicants to get through. I am however not personally in charge of the process.
Starting preparation for interview, what kinds of things should I be doing?....what maths are we expected to know...is it just easy a level stuff or is it more difficult? Personally not too worried about maths but since I get 0 help in school (only cambridge applicant this year) I would really appreciate some pointers in how to prepare? Is unit 2 (macroeconomics) the most important aspect of the interview to revise? Sorry this is so incoherent, any tips? My UMS average is 93.5% which'll already put me at a disadvantage so need to smash that interview!
Reply 1335
Original post by Extricated
Starting preparation for interview, what kinds of things should I be doing?....what maths are we expected to know...is it just easy a level stuff or is it more difficult? Personally not too worried about maths but since I get 0 help in school (only cambridge applicant this year) I would really appreciate some pointers in how to prepare? Is unit 2 (macroeconomics) the most important aspect of the interview to revise? Sorry this is so incoherent, any tips? My UMS average is 93.5% which'll already put me at a disadvantage so need to smash that interview!

-- Stats and calculus are the things that come up most in the course, so expect that to be the most likely thing if you're asked any maths.

-- I'd revise both. Either could come up. See about perhaps applying them to some topical problems as well.

-- 93.5% is above average for applicants, so I wouldn't say you're disadvantaged. Remember, 50% of the people who get offers have <95% average UMS...

-- Talk to as many people you can about your subject and think about interesting debate-type questions. See if you can work out why things work the way they do.

I'd write a longer guide (and probably will at some point), but I'm super-busy at the moment so this'll have to do. There's no point stressing about it, but you can make sure you're on top of things and are well-practised at talking about your subject. This doesn't mean learning scripts, it means being able to engage with interesting questions in a clear way.
Reply 1336
If a college asks you to send a school essay, roughly how many words is it expected to be?
Sorry for the very specific question but I know how Cambridge places empahsis on the UMS average (across your 3 best subjects). I was wondering whether a subject I dropped after AS would count towards my average? I am not doing Geography at A2 but I did achieve one of my best scores in the subject at AS level.
Also are single maths and further maths grouped together to form a single average UMS score? I have had contrasting answers and it would be nice to have some closure.

Apologies again as I realise my questions sound trivial but with competition so high, it would be good to get a more realistic assessment of my chances.
Reply 1338
Whhaaa, never heard of that! Is everyone applying for BA Economics obliged to do so?
Reply 1339
Original post by Pandin
Whhaaa, never heard of that! Is everyone applying for BA Economics obliged to do so?

Depends on the college you apply to, this table is from here http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/economics/

Christ'sSchool/college essay; Preparatory study at interview
ChurchillSchool/college essays; Preparatory study at interview
ClareInterview only; Preparatory study at interview
Corpus ChristiNot available at this College
DowningMathematics test at interview
EmmanuelPreparatory study at interview
FitzwilliamPreparatory study at interview
GirtonTest at interview; Preparatory study at interview
Gonville and CaiusTest at interview
HomertonSchool/college essay; Test at interview
Hughes HallTest at interview
JesusPreparatory study at interview; Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
King'sThinking Skills Assessment (TSA); Preparatory study at interview
Lucy CavendishTest at interview
MagdaleneSchool/college essay; Preparatory study at interview
Murray EdwardsTest at interview
NewnhamSchool/college essay; Preparatory study at interview; Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
PembrokeWritten test at interview
PeterhouseEssay set by College
Queens'School/college essays
RobinsonSchool/college essay; Test at interview
St Catharine'sPreparatory study at interview
St Edmund'sThinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
St John'sSent article few weeks before interview; Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
SelwynInterview only
Sidney SussexTest at interview
TrinityPreparatory study at interview
Trinity HallEssay set by College
WolfsonTest at interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending