The Student Room Group

Priority Remark: Worth it?

Hi guys, I've been rejected from my firm choice due to achieving ABC, when I needed ABB.

I'm really desperate to get in, and despite being 14 Uniform Marks under a B in Biology I'm considering getting 4 modules remarked, in the hope that I'll scrape some raw marks and make the grade.
I'm sure that one of the modules in particular has something dodgy about it as I'm sure I did well in it, and got a low E.

So, do you think the near £150 cost is worth it?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kagu
Hi guys, I've been rejected from my firm choice due to achieving ABC, when I needed ABB.

I'm really desperate to get in, and despite being 14 Uniform Marks under a B in Biology I'm considering getting 4 modules remarked, in the hope that I'll scrape some raw marks and make the grade.
I'm sure that one of the modules in particular has something dodgy about it as I'm sure I did well in it, and got a low E.

It's up to you. 14 mark is a lot, but I have heard of stories where marks have gone up hugely on remarks (though this is for an arts subject rather than a science - though it is possible in sciences as well). However, I must note that in remarks, marks can go up as well as down so there's no guarantee that this will improve your grade. Have you thought about looking at clearing during the remark just in case the remark doesn't change the grade?
Reply 2
Original post by toronto353
It's up to you. 14 mark is a lot, but I have heard of stories where marks have gone up hugely on remarks (though this is for an arts subject rather than a science - though it is possible in sciences as well). However, I must note that in remarks, marks can go up as well as down so there's no guarantee that this will improve your grade. Have you thought about looking at clearing during the remark just in case the remark doesn't change the grade?

I have an unconditional offer from my insurance choice, but it's a choice I regret and I highly doubt I'd enjoy the course, so I've had my heart set on the firm choice for a long while.
If it comes to it I'll have to grit my teeth and do it though.
Original post by Kagu
I have an unconditional offer from my insurance choice, but it's a choice I regret and I highly doubt I'd enjoy the course, so I've had my heart set on the firm choice for a long while.

You don't have to and there is clearing as well.
Just do it- if you rightly believe you've been marked incorrectly you'll get the money back anyway. University is going to cost you ~£13000 a year anyway so £150 is nothing really.
Reply 5
I have a question!

My track hasn't updated, it still says conditional. My offer is BCC, but I got BCE. However my C is 2 UMS off a B. My teacher has told me to apply for a priority remark for it, and he says it's very likely to go up. Even if I gained 1 raw mark, I'd end up with a B.

Should I wait until my track updates to see if I get in first before I apply for a remark? I was told that my track should be updated by tomorrow.
Original post by lausa22
I have a question!

My track hasn't updated, it still says conditional. My offer is BCC, but I got BCE. However my C is 2 UMS off a B. My teacher has told me to apply for a priority remark for it, and he says it's very likely to go up. Even if I gained 1 raw mark, I'd end up with a B.

Should I wait until my track updates to see if I get in first before I apply for a remark? I was told that my track should be updated by tomorrow.

If it hasn't, ring up your university tomorrow to explain the situation about the remark just so that they are informed of the situation.
Reply 7
Original post by lausa22
I have a question!

If you only want the remark in order to get into university, then there's no point putting in for one and paying for it if there's a chance you're going to your university anyway. Either way, get on the phone to your uni tomorrow morning if UCAS hasn't updated and pester them for an answer so you know if you need to submit a remark. Also let them know if they're rejecting you that you are putting in for a remark.
Reply 8
I did inform them today that I might be putting in for a remark for that exam, and they told me because I was close to a B that telling them was in my favour. I am calling tomorrow afternoon if it's not updated still and I'll just remind them again.
I'll only be putting in for it if I get rejected and they tell me that if I go up a grade I'm likely to be accepted, so the remark is just to get into Uni.

Thanks for the two that answered me :smile:
Original post by Kagu

Just out of interest, what exam board are you with in biology. As I was on track for an A/ high B in biology but in the final paper I got a U when all my other exams were A/B standard. This made me get an overall C. I don't know whether to get anything remarked or not as I overall got BBC and my offer was AAB...so so so demoralising :frown:
Original post by lausa22
I did inform them today that I might be putting in for a remark for that exam, and they told me because I was close to a B that telling them was in my favour. I am calling tomorrow afternoon if it's not updated still and I'll just remind them again.
I'll only be putting in for it if I get rejected and they tell me that if I go up a grade I'm likely to be accepted, so the remark is just to get into Uni.

Thanks for the two that answered me :smile:

It might be the case then that they will only accept you if your remark is successful and you go up a grade. Should probably clarify this with them tomorrow when you phone them. If they accept you without needing a remark then all is good! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Ecosse_14
It might be the case then that they will only accept you if your remark is successful and you go up a grade. Should probably clarify this with them tomorrow when you phone them. If they accept you without needing a remark then all is good! :smile:

If I get rejected I do plan to call up and ask if my remark would be enough to re-convince them :redface: haha, I'm going to avoid talking about the fact I got an E!
Hopefully I'll just be accepted so I don't have to fork out £40 for a remark!
Original post by Kagu

I think it would be better to just take a year out and resit anything. With 14 marks to go, you'd have to be extremely lucky for your grade to improve to the extent that it needs to through a priority remark. If you have the money to throw away, sure... why not. But I think what you're really looking at is a decision to go with your insurance or to resit and push your grade up for another shot.
Reply 13
I have a similar but yet different case.
I have already secured a place with my firm choice, but its just that I achieved a C in one subject and was 3 UMS points away from a B,thus, in the paper I sat, I achieved a very high B, one mark from an A.

Could anyone advise me if I should get a priority remark, worth £51.35, even though I have secured a place at University,
It will simply be for CV matters and self appreciation if I achieved a B in that subject, which is History, with AQA.
thank you
Reply 14
Original post by jordan9
I have a similar but yet different case.
I have already secured a place with my firm choice, but its just that I achieved a C in one subject and was 3 UMS points away from a B,thus, in the paper I sat, I achieved a very high B, one mark from an A.

Could anyone advise me if I should get a priority remark, worth £51.35, even though I have secured a place at University,
It will simply be for CV matters and self appreciation if I achieved a B in that subject, which is History, with AQA.
thank you

If it bothers you that much and you have the money, do it if it'll make you feel better, just be aware that it may not go up and you may not get that grade.

Personally, I wouldn't, because at the end of University, you would have your degree on your CV and that would look far better than A-Levels.
Reply 15
Original post by Kagu

What's the rush - is someone holding a gun to your head? Degrees cost 60 grand and three years of your precious life, why waste that on something you won't enjoy?

Asking for a remark sounds sensible enough, £150 is immaterial. But if that doesn't help you, consider taking more qualifications or resits or work experience or a job - but seriously not doing a course you won't enjoy, you have no idea how unnecessarily self-destructive that sounds.
Reply 16
Original post by lausa22
If it bothers you that much and you have the money, do it if it'll make you feel better, just be aware that it may not go up and you may not get that grade.

Personally, I wouldn't, because at the end of University, you would have your degree on your CV and that would look far better than A-Levels.

Yeah thank you very much, you have a good point,

I think i'll just sleep on it :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Original post by hollybanolly
Just out of interest, what exam board are you with in biology. As I was on track for an A/ high B in biology but in the final paper I got a U when all my other exams were A/B standard. This made me get an overall C. I don't know whether to get anything remarked or not as I overall got BBC and my offer was AAB...so so so demoralising :frown:

CCEA :frown:
Reply 18
Just thought I'd follow up. I applied for remarks in 3 modules in the end, and got the results back today. One went up by 12 UMS, and the other two stayed the same, leaving me 2 UMS off my offer and even more gutted than before.
Reply 19
One of mine went up 10 UMS, but one went down 9 UMS. It's crazy that they can change so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending