The Student Room Group

Realistically speaking, what (good) universities do I have a chance with?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by paulbridger
These posts are so annoying. You could get in anywhere with those grades. I'm going to UCL with only AABBBBBCCD at GCSE.

I was lead to believe UCL rely on GCSE's a considerable amount. I assumes you did very well at AS
Original post by yl95
I wasn't even posting for attention...I understand that it might come across like that, but I genuinely wanted to know.

If your bright enough to get those grades then you should be bright enough to research your own potential universities by yourself
Original post by yl95
Thanks for the advice. It really helps.

Also don't give up if you don't make 95+! It only helps - if you've got solid scores of around 90 you'll still definitely get an interview and are still likely to get offered a place if your other parts of your application are very strong. A few marks here and there is not the end of the world, it's just the higher you do, the better you'll look.
Original post by yl95
4A* and 6A at GCSE
And working my ass off in AS to get high UMS hopefully...

They won't preclude you from getting in anywhere. Come back and ask again when you have A2 predictions.
Original post by AverageExcellence
If your bright enough to get those grades then you should be bright enough to research your own potential universities by yourself

I'm pretty sure there's a reason why a student forum exists.
Makes things easier.
Without trying to knock your achievement - well done, you! - it's too early to say where you have a chance with. You're assuming that you're going to get all As at AS. I've witnessed a lot of people get better GCSEs than you, and completely flop their ASs. Equally, I've seen people get inferior GCSEs to you and do really well. The important thing to remember is that ASs, and A-levels as a whole, are completely different to GCSEs.

Good luck and everything. Your GCSEs won't be the decisive factor stopping you from going anywhere, but that's because they only make up a very small proportion of your application.
Original post by yl95
Yes, I am.
Thank you by the way.

Good choices, then you will stand a good chance for Cambridge maths/natsci and other places for maths if everything else goes to plan (High UMS marks)
Reply 27
Original post by marcus2001
Not Cambridge, don't listen to those people, you should be good for Swansea Metropolitan, London South Bank and Oxford though

Hull, not Oxford surely? Oxford's a complete dump.
Original post by Prudy
Hull, not Oxford surely? Oxford's a complete dump.

Yeah you stamped on it
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Without trying to knock your achievement - well done, you! - it's too early to say where you have a chance with. You're assuming that you're going to get all As at AS. I've witnessed a lot of people get better GCSEs than you, and completely flop their ASs. Equally, I've seen people get inferior GCSEs to you and do really well. The important thing to remember is that ASs, and A-levels as a whole, are completely different to GCSEs.

Good luck and everything. Your GCSEs won't be the decisive factor stopping you from going anywhere, but that's because they only make up a very small proportion of your application.

Oh no, I'm not assuming that I'm going to get all As at AS.
Thank you. It does seem that it's a bit early but I was just being curious.
Original post by yl95
Oh no, I'm not assuming that I'm going to get all As at AS.
Thank you. It does seem that it's a bit early but I was just being curious.

In which case, my mistake.

I wouldn't worry too much about GCSEs anyway, but yours are very strong. Comparatively, you're a wee bit under the average for Oxbridge, but it doesn't rule you out at all.
Original post by Selym95
I was lead to believe UCL rely on GCSE's a considerable amount. I assumes you did very well at AS

I did alright at AS. Got AAAC in 4 academic subjects, and re-sat the C to get it up to an A in January. Although I put a lot of effort into other aspects of my application like the PS. Also I got 100% at AS in the subject I'd applied to study at uni so I guess that helped :P
Reply 32
I thought GCSE's generally mean **** all outside Oxbridge or medicine?
Reply 33
Why don't you wait until you get your first set of results before deciding upon this? GCSE doesn't require an aptitude at all; A-level requires aptitude and an affinity towards the subjects. A-levels are a different spectrum; it's not a case of revising and doing well: it's a case of revising, understanding and hoping you do well. What subject did you get the A*s in at GCSE? Massive weight is on maths and English, as well as the sciences. If you got 2 of them in diploma business studies and the other 2 in a double award ICT, this may hinder your chances of getting into Cambridge.
Your GCSEs are suitable for most university courses (can't say all just in case you haven't done a subject that is required e.g. UCL prefer you to have done a language), however your choices should be more due to your A-level results.
Original post by Jooooshy
Why don't you wait until you get your first set of results before deciding upon this? GCSE doesn't require an aptitude at all; A-level requires aptitude and an affinity towards the subjects. A-levels are a different spectrum; it's not a case of revising and doing well: it's a case of revising, understanding and hoping you do well. What subject did you get the A*s in at GCSE? Massive weight is on maths and English, as well as the sciences. If you got 2 of them in diploma business studies and the other 2 in a double award ICT, this may hinder your chances of getting into Cambridge.

Spanish, Chemistry, Maths and Music.
Reply 36
Original post by yl95
4A* and 6A at GCSE
And working my ass off in AS to get high UMS hopefully...

Any.
Reply 37
You have really good GCSE's. University wise- as long as you have a solid personal statement, which shows a real interest in your chosen course- you have every chance of getting into any good university :smile:
Reply 38
I did alright at AS. Got AAAC in 4 academic subjects, and re-sat the C to get it up to an A in January. Although I put a lot of effort into other aspects of my application like the PS. Also I got 100% at AS in the subject I'd applied to study at uni so I guess that helped :P

On your profile it says you got AAAA at AS
Reply 39
These posts are so annoying. You could get in anywhere with those grades. I'm going to UCL with only AABBBBBCCD at GCSE.

can i ask what you are studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending