The Student Room Group

Sergio Busquets, What do you think of him?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bob_bill1234
Yaya Toure is a much better player than him in terms of both attack and defence. Scott Parker vs Spain was better than any performance Busquetes ever played. Alex Song held Arsenal together all season and got little to no credit for it.

Practically any player could play for Barcelona and still win things with the quality around them (no to mention the obvious favoritism of the ref. Van Persie sent off, the ridiculous display against AC Milan, etc.)

Playing the Busquets role requires discipline. Alex Song certainly doesn't have that. Just ask most Arsenal fans, the amount of goals he was culpable for last season due to going forward and leaving gaps behind for the opposition to exploit. I can't believe you think Scott 'runs about alot' Parker is better than Busquets. Mate, he's not even fit enough to tie his shoe laces. Yaya Toure was sold by Barcelona BECAUSE they had Busquets coming through. That means Busquets made Yaya surplus to requirements. You're comparing apples and oranges anyway. I wouldn't say Busquets is similar to Yaya or Song at all either, the latter two attack various times in matches, hence their goal tallies. Busquets is simply brilliant at what he does. End of!
Original post by VQG
I'm not suggesting it, I'm saying it. Alonso, Fabregas and Schweinsteiger are not as good as Xavi or Iniesta.

Well, Schweinsteiger and Alonso are both deep lying midfielders anyway. But just because Xavi and Iniesta are the most often in the spotlight, doesn't mean they're the absolute best. If Sky Sports showed more of Bayern Munich's games, I'd imagine public opinion of Schweinsteiger (and Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, etc.) would increase dramatically in relation to the Spaniards. Also, what about Wesley Sneijder? Dutch maestro.
Reply 22
Well, Schweinsteiger and Alonso are both deep lying midfielders anyway. But just because Xavi and Iniesta are the most often in the spotlight, doesn't mean they're the absolute best. If Sky Sports showed more of Bayern Munich's games, I'd imagine public opinion of Schweinsteiger (and Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, etc.) would increase dramatically in relation to the Spaniards. Also, what about Wesley Sneijder? Dutch maestro.

Read this article on your dutch maestro then weep.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/07/16/sergio-busquets-world-cup-final/

maybe you'll understand what Busquets actually does for Barcelona and Spain.
Original post by johnharris19944
You kind of can talk about someone's ability without talking about that. Michael Jordan was a arrogant prat and so was Kobe Bryant but i can appreciate how good they are. John Terry is a dick but once again i can appreciate how good defensively he is. Instead of coming up with stuff like hes a prick and a dick why don't someone come up with something actually useful.

Their arrogance doesn't get people booked, or give their team an unfair advantage. N likening Busquets to Kobe, let alone Jordan? lol wut?
Original post by Sir Phillip Jones
Playing the Busquets role requires discipline. Alex Song certainly doesn't have that. Just ask most Arsenal fans, the amount of goals he was culpable for last season due to going forward and leaving gaps behind for the opposition to exploit. I can't believe you think Scott 'runs about alot' Parker is better than Busquets. Mate, he's not even fit enough to tie his shoe laces. Yaya Toure was sold by Barcelona BECAUSE they had Busquets coming through. That means Busquets made Yaya surplus to requirements. You're comparing apples and oranges anyway. I wouldn't say Busquets is similar to Yaya or Song at all either, the latter two attack various times in matches, hence their goal tallies. Busquets is simply brilliant at what he does. End of!

Scott Parker made 107 tackles last season in the league, and without his tireless workrate and willingness to do the job others won't, England would have lost to Spain. He blocked three shots, two freekicks, made countless important tackles.

Also, Parker constantly get's battered. Stamped on the head? Gets up. If that had been Sergio, there would have been an air ambulance and a criminal inquiry leading to Ballotelli getting a life sentence
Reply 25
Busquets is the best at what he does, the holding role that sweeps up the mess and covers other people when they go forward. Its that you never notice him or see him making mistakes in a game that tells you that he's good at what he does.
Reply 26
Original post by TheEssence
Their arrogance doesn't get people booked, or give their team an unfair advantage. N likening Busquets to Kobe, let alone Jordan? lol wut?

Clearly don't watch any basketball do you, Kobe Bryant regularly throws an elbow at an opponent when hes attacking there's proof of it on the net that its a discrete thing he does then he claims he gets fouled by them as well. Learn to speak English then we will have a talk :wink:

Also i think people don't appreciate what he does because its sort of the gritty stuff that you wouldn't associate with Barcelona.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by -TheSpecialOne-
I think he's a complete idiot.

If you think he's the best midfield destroyer ever, you've never seen Claude Makelele play football.

Just because someone was the first doesn't mean they will always be the best. Busquets does everything Makelele did as well as doing more.
Reply 28
Scott Parker made 107 tackles last season in the league, and without his tireless workrate and willingness to do the job others won't, England would have lost to Spain. He blocked three shots, two freekicks, made countless important tackles.

Also, Parker constantly get's battered. Stamped on the head? Gets up. If that had been Sergio, there would have been an air ambulance and a criminal inquiry leading to Ballotelli getting a life sentence

Parker creates as many problems for his team as he solves. He is a tactical moron.
Zero sportsmanship and FairPlay, but that shouldn't obscure the fact that he plays one of the most important parts for both Barcelona and Spain. He is the reason why Senna was unable to play for Spain anymore, why Yaya Toure was sent to the bench, and the reason why Xavi and Iniesta can easily think about offence without having to turn around and worry about defence that much.
(edited 11 years ago)
i like to call him sergio biscuits.
I really couldn't care how good he is, the fact is:

1. Barcelona will win games without him. Even if he got sent off, they'd still dominate possession and attacking chances would still come.
2. Barcelona also have serious decisions constantly going there way whenever the ref can get away with it. The Van Persie red card was obviously BS. The AC Milan game was one of the worst refereed games I've ever watched.
3. He has disgusting sportsmanship and constantly does everything he can to get other people sent off and win nonsense freekicks. The only person worse is Luis Suarez.

I accept you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd personally rather have Yaya Toure in my team.
And we have the obvious retards/ trolls in this conversation just shut up because you clearly have no idea what your on about.

Please explain how I have no idea what I'm on about.
Original post by Mess.
Parker creates as many problems for his team as he solves. He is a tactical moron.

Yeah, his passing is rubbish, but his defensive instincts and work rate are exceptional for a player in his 30s. If he was about 6'5" and 15 stone, he'd be perfect.
Reply 34
x

I've seen a lot of Barcelona fans suggest that he's the more natural successor to Xavi in his role, would do you go along the same line?
Original post by -TheSpecialOne-
Please explain how I have no idea what I'm on about.

You disagreed with him, thus you're an idiot in his eyes.

PS: Not srs. I'm not trying to cause an argument or anything, but I just don't see how he's the best at what he does.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
I really couldn't care how good he is, the fact is:

1. Barcelona will win games without him. Even if he got sent off, they'd still dominate possession and attacking chances would still come.
2. Barcelona also have serious decisions constantly going there way whenever the ref can get away with it. The Van Persie red card was obviously BS. The AC Milan game was one of the worst refereed games I've ever watched.
3. He has disgusting sportsmanship and constantly does everything he can to get other people sent off and win nonsense freekicks. The only person worse is Luis Suarez.

I accept you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd personally rather have Yaya Toure in my team.

Toure can't do what Busquets can though, they are completely different players and if Toure was better then Barca would have kept him :dontknow:

Busquets is a prick, nobody denies that but you have to separate the man from the footballer.
Reply 37
Yeah, his passing is rubbish, but his defensive instincts and work rate are exceptional for a player in his 30s. If he was about 6'5" and 15 stone, he'd be perfect.

Problem is hes not? We could dream of players having "optimal" physical traits but they have what they have. Cant just say if only Messi was a bit taller then he would be able to be more of a threat in the air. Parkers stuck with what hes got.
Original post by VQG
I've seen a lot of Barcelona fans suggest that he's the more natural successor to Xavi in his role, would do you go along the same line?

Don't Barca fans like the look of Sergi Samper as the next Xavi?
Reply 39
Original post by VQG

In a way i think he can be, hes actually very underrated at going forward and his passing is sublime. The only problem is goal scoring not sure whether he can chip in with 10 or so goals a season like Xavi but who knows maybe he can and its the defensive responsibility thats stopping him from showcasing what he can do. I personally think Sergi Samper will be groomed as the replacement or Busquets moves to Xavi role and Rafa Alcantara steps into the Busquets role.

*Edit*

someone beat me to the Sergi Samper suggestion haha
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest