The Student Room Group

Has anyone else gone from University to a minimum wage job?

..Or is it just me?

I haven't actually even got a minimum wage job yet :colondollar: Jobs are very few and far between in my area, but i've got a retail job interview next week. I'm just feeling really down about it :frown: I've got a first class degree from a redbrick Uni with a years experience in Criminal Justice as part of my course. I'm feeling stupidly let down at the moment. Will minimum wage jobs be my life forever now!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by music788
..Or is it just me?

I haven't actually even got a minimum wage job yet :colondollar: Jobs are very few and far between in my area, but i've got a retail job interview next week. I'm just feeling really down about it :frown: I've got a first class degree from a redbrick Uni with a years experience in Criminal Justice as part of my course. I'm feeling stupidly let down at the moment. Will minimum wage jobs be my life forever now!?

Think of it as a gap filled in your CV. Whilst doing that apply, apply and apply for things that interest you. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Arsene Wenger
Think of it as a gap filled in your CV. Whilst doing that apply, apply and apply for things that interest you. :smile:

Thanks, I guess that's what my plan is. All of my friends just seem to have walked into great jobs :frown:
BA to unemployment (4 months).
MSc (about to finish) to unemployment (who knows how long....)
Reply 4
..Or is it just me?

What degree did you do and what degree class did you get? How many UCAS points do you have? You could get onto decent paying graduate scheme if you have at least 300 UCAS points along with your degree. Put graduate schemes UK into Google; there are loads on the main websites.
Reply 5
Original post by Quantumcat
What degree did you do and what degree class did you get? How many UCAS points do you have? You could get onto decent paying graduate scheme if you have at least 300 UCAS points along with your degree. Put graduate schemes UK into Google; there are loads on the main websites.

Psychology- 1st. I can't remember UCAS points now but off the top of my head I think I have 480 (quite high). Regarding grad schemes, I applied to many of them this time last year during the last year of my degree. I applied to mainly HR graduate schemes. I only ever had one interview- I didn't get pass the initial online stages for all the others :frown: So I kind of gave up with that...
Reply 6
It's much easier to get a new job while you already have an existing one. Stick with it - minimum wage is better than unemployment, both financially and CV wise.
Yes, but I am still in a better position than those who can't get a job at all so I'm still grateful for that.
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Yes, but I am still in a better position than those who can't get a job at all so I'm still grateful for that.

I see what you mean, however I don't actually have a job at all at the moment! I've been rejected from many retail/non graduate jobs already! So now I feel like I am now in the same boat as people who don't have a degree at all and can't get a job either :confused: Oh well. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a regular non-grad job and I can say the same as you.
Reply 9
Psychology- 1st. I can't remember UCAS points now but off the top of my head I think I have 480 (quite high). Regarding grad schemes, I applied to many of them this time last year during the last year of my degree. I applied to mainly HR graduate schemes. I only ever had one interview- I didn't get pass the initial online stages for all the others :frown: So I kind of gave up with that...

What did you expect? Psychology is the most saturated course in the history of courses...
Reply 10
Yes.
Reply 11
Original post by ruby321
What did you expect? Psychology is the most saturated course in the history of courses...

I know, but people on this forum of all people should understand that what we choose to do at age 17 when we go through UCAS isn't always the best choice; we are very naive at that age. I did it because I enjoyed it at A-level. It may be oversubscribed, but that doesn't take anything away from the injustice I feel from a lifetime of hard work, initiative and top grades, resulting in complete unemployment. It's not like i'm asking to walk into a psychology-related job.. :frown:
Whilst I personally haven't I know quite a lot of my friends are either unemployed or on minimum wage jobs. It's a lot of luck so send out tailored CVs and good covering letters as often as you can. I would also suggest sending out CVs to companies that you like the look of asking if they have any suitable roles that they would consider you for either now or in the future. That's actually how I got my graduate job - it feels like a lot of luck!
Reply 13
I know, but people on this forum of all people should understand that what we choose to do at age 17 when we go through UCAS isn't always the best choice; we are very naive at that age. I did it because I enjoyed it at A-level. It may be oversubscribed, but that doesn't take anything away from the injustice I feel from a lifetime of hard work, initiative and top grades, resulting in complete unemployment. It's not like i'm asking to walk into a psychology-related job.. :frown:

I know whats done is done... but seriously? My brothers friend did a masters and is now studying to try and be a clinical psychologist to try his luck because there are literally no jobs. I knew then to stay clear of that course lol

Though I do feel for you after all this hard work, its a huge bummer. What kind of job are you thinking of? Would you ever think of doing marketing/advertising or something along those lines which psychology would lend itself well for. Or even a post-grad if you can afford it?
What area do you live in? Would there be a possibility of you moving to accomodate a job? I know it is not practical but it may improve your chances of getting more of the job you want? Good luck anyhow!
Reply 15
Original post by ruby321
I know whats done is done... but seriously? My brothers friend did a masters and is now studying to try and be a clinical psychologist to try his luck because there are literally no jobs. I knew then to stay clear of that course lol

Though I do feel for you after all this hard work, its a huge bummer. What kind of job are you thinking of? Would you ever think of doing marketing/advertising or something along those lines which psychology would lend itself well for. Or even a post-grad if you can afford it?

I guess... but I never wanted to be a clinical psychologist. I chose psychology because I was good at it, and because it's highly transferrable and equips you with some awesome skills. I'm really trying to get a job in the Criminal Justice System. I've enjoyed my previous CJS experience, and as experience seems to be everything these days I thought i'd try my luck. I'm getting some interviews and when I do get interviews i'm finishing in the top bracket and getting good feedback. I think it's just a hard area to get into. I'm having far more luck with it than graduate schemes though! Yeah maybe marketing, i've looked into it before but will look into it again. Thanks for the advice
Reply 16
Original post by SheridanLM91
What area do you live in? Would there be a possibility of you moving to accomodate a job? I know it is not practical but it may improve your chances of getting more of the job you want? Good luck anyhow!

Believe me, relocating is not an issue for me! I've been applying for jobs in Scotland, North England, London, Wales... everywhere with still no avail :frown:
..Or is it just me?

I haven't actually even got a minimum wage job yet :colondollar: Jobs are very few and far between in my area, but i've got a retail job interview next week. I'm just feeling really down about it :frown: I've got a first class degree from a redbrick Uni with a years experience in Criminal Justice as part of my course. I'm feeling stupidly let down at the moment.Will minimum wage jobs be my life forever now!?

Absolutely no shame in it and many graduates do stop-gap jobs (google this and you'll see how common it is!). I'm applying for temporary Christmas jobs to fund some travels and I couldn't be happier. The economic recession has made everyone cognisant of the fact that a degree does NOT guarantee you a good job with a fantastic salary. You have to make that happen. Whilst you may have difficulty changing your situation, you can change your reaction to it.
Reply 18
I went from uni to a 16 hour a week minimum wage job in retail.

That lasted for two years, until today when I had a phone call telling me I got a new job!

Whatever job you get will be money in your pocket and, more importantly, experience. Experience with other people, experience of working in teams or on your own, experience of dealing with difficult situations, experience of negotiation, experience of working to targets etc etc.

Even better, if you keep applying jobs and keep getting interviews, no matter how badly they go it'll be a learning curve so you can improve next time.

It's not wasted time, just try not to get yourself down. Also, as others have said, a minimum wage job looks better than a gap on the CV.
Reply 19

Yeah mate. It's very sad that studying a subject at uni is more about what job you'll get at the end of it over your love for the subject. I'd suggest a masters in something related to the job you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending