The Student Room Group

Opinions on Psychology A level?

Currently in year 11. I'm probably going to take Psychology A level, even though a few people have advised me not to. I was just looking for some opinions on the A level in general?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in my second year of A level psychology. The first year I enjoyed quite a bit but in retrospect it was more the great teachers and fun class activities than the actual course content. This year I'm really not enjoying it. The course focuses on some relatively boring topics and you don't even learn that much. It's more about getting your evaluation points for the exam right and all that.

I don't mean to discourage you, but that's my personal experience. Have you thought of studying sociology? That's madly interesting!
Reply 2
Thanks for the response, yes I have thought about studying sociology alongside psychology but eventually I would probably like to go into clinical psychology so the more experience I have studying psychology the better!
Reply 3
If your thinking of doing that as a career then definitely go for it! btw I do think psychology is a fascinating field, it was the alevel course I had a problem with not the subject.
Reply 4
The A Level is a good way to get a basic insight into the field of Psychology. If you do intend to go onto a Psychology degree then this will help you make a much more informed decision, you'll also go into your studies with some hopefully sound background knowledge. You could get through the degree without it, but I know some people who found it a little tough to get to grips with things if they hadn't studied it before. Not to mention the people who had completely different ideas as to what Psychology actually is.

I never found the A Level boring, but that is simply a matter of opinion and isn't really all that useful to you and your decision.
Reply 5
I personally really enjoy the course, I find the topics interesting despite my hopeless teacher, the fist year was the best, but if you can be quite opinionated then the second year is fun! The exams are quite demanding because there is a lot of information and evaluation points to remember, but if you are considering a career in it then I'd definitely do it!
Reply 6
I've almost finished the AS psychology and have found it very interesting and the lessons are very fun (though this is probably the good teaching and a nice group of people in my class).:smile:
Yes it's bloody amazing!
Check which specification your school uses, OCR is very different to AQA for example.

For OCR in your first year you look very much at how studies are carried out and the pros and cons of different methods, this is taught by evaluating studies. In the second year you look much more at theoretical and applied psychology, you'll do two options from forensic, health and clinical, educational or sports psychology.
I did OCR and hated it. I started Year 12 somewhat wanting to be a clinical psychologist or something to do with psychology and finished Year 13 wanting to avoid all forms of psychology and psychological studies at all costs.

Although I hear that AQA is less torturous :tongue:
Reply 10
yeah I have the same problem, not sure what I'd do with it but I've always thought the prospect of understanding the human brain is interesting. I've been told to go for something like History instead.
Reply 11
I definitely want to do Psychology and most likely will, was just looking for opinions. I do Psychology GCSE at the moment and I find it very interesting and I've heard it's even more interesting at A level simply because at GCSE we sort of just look at the surface of a topic and don't really go into much detail. The A level Psychology at my school is OCR.
Reply 12
Original post by DanArnold
Currently in year 11. I'm probably going to take Psychology A level, even though a few people have advised me not to. I was just looking for some opinions on the A level in general?

Started A-Level Psych this September and I absolutely love it. There's a lot of remembering to do in regards to statistics for findings in experiments, but they're nothing difficult to remember. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
We were taking 8+ pages of notes a lesson, I dropped out after a month. I wouldn't reccomend it unless you like notes and science.
Reply 14
Well what can I possibly say about psychology...
Reply 15
Would psychology help for medics in uni in any way?
Reply 16
Original post by xOHarriet
We were taking 8+ pages of notes a lesson, I dropped out after a month. I wouldn't reccomend it unless you like notes and science.

I think that depends on your I institute. We don't do anywhere near that much, it's not necessary. We have the vital info and a course booklet containing everything, including what we've noted already.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I am in year 11 and I also want do psycholo a-level next year... Looking forward to it as it looks interesting.
I actually really enjoy psychology; there is a lot of work to do but what alevel doesnt require loads of work
I want to take it on at university - Go for it if it interests you!
Reply 19
I'm a A2 psychology student. I was in this position last year when picking my A levels and took psychology just because it was different, and I don't regret it one bit. I'm doing AQA A and first year was so interesting especially biological psychology and psychopathology. Now in the second year while it is focused more on evaluation of studies and theories it is still enjoyable, i'm doing phobias, addiction and research methods in January and find addiction fascinating. I've applied to do psychology at Uni and so far have 4 offers. My advice would be just take it as long as your comfortable with biology and your willing to remember studies.

p.s i'm not one of these super smart A* people, I got a high B at AS simply because I put a lot of work into psychology. It is by no means a 'soft' A level and like many people in my group who dropped out its easy to pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending