The Student Room Group

Choice of Theory

I am currently working on my PhD application (Near Eastern Archaeology, writing about the socio-spatial analytical potential of doors and doorways in the Roman and Byzantine period)

In this respect my main theoretic approach is Space Syntax, partially backed by additional stuff on the liminal and boundary related aspects and qualities of doors and doorways. However, I do need a second theoretical approach, and myself and my supervisor agrees on that it should pertain to architecture.

The first part of my theoretic approach facilitates the investigation of how built space can be read to portray human behavior (Space Syntax).
I would very much like if I could reach the other end of the spectrum with my second approach; namely understand human behavior involved before and during the construction of a built planned environment. What I'd like to reach is by what methods and based on which considerations is built environment and space produced.

I have looked at sociology, anthropology and on architectural theory proper, but haven't really been able to come up with something.
I have considered intelligence based design theory; more specifically Christopher Alexander's "patterns and centers", and to a lesser degree environmental psychology. The first is seemingly still very recent, and I think it lacks the applicable tools I am looking for, and the latter seems to be based on a wide variety of interdisciplinary fields that muddies any concrete comparison to ancient archaeological societies.

Anyways, if someone here could give me an example of a theoretic approach that considers human behavior (as in cognition) before the construction of a built planned environment I'd be forever in your debt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending