The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by piya21
None of your comments in this thread have helped this girl at all - you have a problem with Islam, we get it, but you aren't going to convert her online by putting her beliefs down. There are plenty of confident religious Muslims who aren't afraid of their fathers, just as there are millions of abused women who don't come from religious backgrounds, and who are scared of their abusers and what they might do. I can't believe people as idiotic as you exist - people who would actually isolate this globally common issue of domestic violence to Islam.

And yes, she is finding it hard to give up everything she has ever known to pursue a life that will initially be completely alone. Who wouldn't? That makes her human, not a coward. The fact that you don't get that just shows how narrow-minded you are, whilst probably claiming that Islam is the narrow-minded ideology.

But what I hope Girl786Yorkshire realises is that there are plenty of people who have been through this before her, from similar backgrounds, and who have found support and help through the following organisations (I narrowed it down to ones based in Yorkshire, as I assume that's where you are based):

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/azrefuges.asp?section=00010001000800060002&region_code=01WW

Best of luck!

Thankyou soo much you took the words out of my mouth
Reply 21
Original post by Girl786yorkshire
I dont want freedom like party do what i like. I want to settle down be a good muslim,

I dont want to get married regret it and get divorced

Freedom means not being forced, abused, threatened into doing something against your will.
Hi everyone im in a situation where i feel i need to run away from home im
a muslim girl and i dont have a bf. my fathers been trying to get me married for some time into the family i agreed for my parents happiness and i was told i would be given a choice, and anyone on the family, So i choose some1 in the family whom they do get allong with however are not well off but just ok,

My brothers and father said no due to him according to my parents is not wise enough And not rich

The men they choose for me are all 33+ and im 22 and i actually cannot see myself with these men.

I declined these offers and now im gettn told to leave the house although i pay to live in the house. I get verbally abused daily and physically abused evety so often because i say i dont know what to do.

Im so sick of this i cry myself to sleep because of constantly gettn shouted at and told to leave the house what is the best way to go about this?

Have a look here http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/when-things-go-wrong/forced-marriage/ and give them a call on 0207 008 0151. They might be able to help, I'm fairly certain forced marriages are still illegal in the UK.
OP there are load of organisations to help girls and young women like you. At 22 I think they can set you up with housing and give you support. They are also willing to help you with your family... have a google and look for some organisations- they defiantly exist; i've read about them in the papers and have seen a couple documentaries!

Best of luck and I hope everything works out <3
Hi everyone im in a situation where i feel i need to run away from home im
a muslim girl and i dont have a bf. my fathers been trying to get me married for some time into the family i agreed for my parents happiness and i was told i would be given a choice, and anyone on the family, So i choose some1 in the family whom they do get allong with however are not well off but just ok,

My brothers and father said no due to him according to my parents is not wise enough And not rich

The men they choose for me are all 33+ and im 22 and i actually cannot see myself with these men.

I declined these offers and now im gettn told to leave the house although i pay to live in the house. I get verbally abused daily and physically abused evety so often because i say i dont know what to do.

Im so sick of this i cry myself to sleep because of constantly gettn shouted at and told to leave the house what is the best way to go about this?

Really sorry to hear that, but as people have said what your parents are doing is not Islamic in any way shape or form. Perhaps consult an English speaking imam? I tend to prefer talking to those guys over the Pakistani ones because they tend to mix less of the culture, and more of religion
Original post by biffyclyro27
Have a look here http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/when-things-go-wrong/forced-marriage/ and give them a call on 0207 008 0151. They might be able to help, I'm fairly certain forced marriages are still illegal in the UK.

May shock you but forced marriages only actually BECAME illegal quite recently
I cant scare them of killing myself they know i wouldnt

Don't listen to Ideas4life, he's just some guy who thinks he knows Islam better then Muslims themselves.
You're parents are acting on backward culture, if you work and stuff I think running away would be ok for you, but I think
you should still attempt to keep in contact after you have ran away. If they threaten you > contact police.

Original post by ideas4life
x
I have graduated and i am finacially okay to move out but have never gone away or been alone if i do leave home i will have to cut off from them completly as i would have gone against their wishes and ruined their reputation in the asian society.and they probably woyld try to kill me as my father does say that allot that if he ever does see me or my sublings after we leave then he would do wat it takes to in the name of 'honour killing'

I dont see the probelm, i know plenty of asian people (ok maybe theyre not muslim) who are early 20s and have moved out of home and live in their own place, they didnt get threatend with honour killings or any drama at all. they still keep in good with their family. Like someone else said, why do you regard it as running away frpm home. I called it being an independant minded adult.
(edited 11 years ago)
if thats the case all i can say is she is a coward.

Oh shut up. Would you call a victim of domestic abuse a coward for not going to the police etc... ? Not related to the thread, but still mainly a woman's issue, and many people are reluctant to go to the police.

Many people don't want their family locked up etc...

Regardless of religion/culture, this happens all over the world. The other point, I'm not even going to bother to refute because it's generally Eastern culture in general (encompassing the entire East) which more value on family rigidity etc...
oh really.

oh REALLY?

then why does this problem no happen in hindu pakistani families, or christian pakistani/bengali/indoensian/jordanian/any other muslim majority country type families?

i think you know the answer. islam is part of the problem, its ocmmon sense, why cant you see it as it is, or maybe you do. i leave it at that. am off for now

Look hard enough and you will find it will do in some.
Original post by de_monies
May shock you but forced marriages only actually BECAME illegal quite recently

Yes I think I remember hearing about it, 'still' was probably a bad choice of wording...
What they are doing is fundamentally wrong in Islam, nothing is compulsory in the religion- especially not marriage, you have your own rights in choosing your spouse (with your family's approval) so don't feel forced to oblige if its not really what you want.

Maybe you could come up with a compromise, that you'd find your own partner within a certain time frame? Perhaps you could speak to friends or relatives who know a brother looking for marriage. That way they'd be from the same cultural background to suit your family but you'd ultimately have an element of control in finding your suitor.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help, but I hope everything goes well for you insha'Allah.
Original post by Dia23
What they are doing is fundamentally wrong in Islam, nothing is compulsory in the religion- especially not marriage, you have your own rights in choosing your spouse (with your family's approval) so don't feel forced to oblige if its not really what you want.

Maybe you could come up with a compromise, that you'd find your own partner within a certain time frame? Perhaps you could speak to friends or relatives who know a brother looking for marriage. That way they'd be from the same cultural background to suit your family but you'd ultimately have an element of control in finding your suitor.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help, but I hope everything goes well for you insha'Allah.

My Parents only want me to marry exacly who they want, (men over 10years of my age) i told them about a family member whom they get along with that if they only allow me to get married in the family i will marry hi
For their haPiness but they said marry who we say

I dont want to marry someone distory their life and mine. Dont want to marry soneone that i doubt and later divorce
Reply 33
This is so sad, I don't know what to say :frown:
I'm so sorry, I'm sending good vibes your way and hoping that you'll be okay <3
Reply 34
Thankyou soo much you took the words out of my mouth

My pleasure! :smile: And honestly, please remember that you don't have to move out only if you're looking for a "party lifestyle" - you can move out of your home, still as a good Muslim girl, if that is what you choose to do. I understand why you don't want to leave your entire family behind, but treating their children with violence is definitely not Islamic, and so you do not need to feel guilty. All Muslims should strive to follow the Sunnah, right? Well, our Prophet (PBUH) had only daughters, and never treated his daughters like that! In fact, his daughter Zainab was married to a man who refused for many years to become Muslim, and the Prophet never mistreated her, and saved her husband's life more than once. So by comparison, you are agreeing to marry not only a Muslim, but a member of your family - like they asked - and if they are STILL not happy with this, then you should not be pressured into marrying the boy they choose, if you will be unhappy. It is completely within your Islamic AND legal rights to leave home and marry someone you choose, when you are ready.

Insha'Allah I hope your family will understand your wishes and allow you to follow your own path.
Reply 35
My parents wouldnt allow me to marry any muslim they want me to
arry in the family, they said anybody in family but they lied just so that i say k iyl mrry in family then after that it was no you marry this person or this both of which im not happy with

You can marry who the hell you like. It isnt their decision and they cannot force you to marry anyone.
Original post by piya21
My pleasure! :smile: And honestly, please remember that you don't have to move out only if you're looking for a "party lifestyle" - you can move out of your home, still as a good Muslim girl, if that is what you choose to do. I understand why you don't want to leave your entire family behind, but treating their children with violence is definitely not Islamic, and so you do not need to feel guilty. All Muslims should strive to follow the Sunnah, right? Well, our Prophet (PBUH) had only daughters, and never treated his daughters like that! In fact, his daughter Zainab was married to a man who refused for many years to become Muslim, and the Prophet never mistreated her, and saved her husband's life more than once. So by comparison, you are agreeing to marry not only a Muslim, but a member of your family - like they asked - and if they are STILL not happy with this, then you should not be pressured into marrying the boy they choose, if you will be unhappy. It is completely within your Islamic AND legal rights to leave home and marry someone you choose, when you are ready.

Insha'Allah I hope your family will understand your wishes and allow you to follow your own path.

Hei,
Can you tell me more about the Prophet's [PBUH] daughter and the guy she wanted to marry? Because I have never heard that story before *sheepishlook*.

To the OP: there's nothing I can tell you that hasn't been said yet..
Just be strong and have face in Allah :smile:. Try reasoning with your own parents and until you can maybe convince them otherwise, just go ahead and move out to be safe!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is not the moral values of islam . They cannot marry you to someone you dont want .
Reply 38
I have graduated and i am finacially okay to move out but have never gone away or been alone if i do leave home i will have to cut off from them completly as i would have gone against their wishes and ruined their reputation in the asian society.and they probably woyld try to kill me as my father does say that allot that if he ever does see me or my sublings after we leave then he would do wat it takes to in the name of 'honour killing'

I'm not sure if you are trolling, but if you aren't and you feel your life could be at risk, you could contact your local police and ask them for help. At the very least they'll be able to give you contact info of organisations that help female muslims.

If you are genuine, I wish you good luck.
Reply 39
My Parents only want me to marry exacly who they want, (men over 10years of my age) i told them about a family member whom they get along with that if they only allow me to get married in the family i will marry hi
For their haPiness but they said marry who we say

I dont want to marry someone distory their life and mine. Dont want to marry soneone that i doubt and later divorce

Thats completely and utterly wrong..............you have a say in the matter, Islam states it quite clearly.
Even the Prophet divorced a couple as the woman came to him telling him of her displeasure of being forced into a marriage she did not want.

Get a imam involved, your family can't do that. If your father the wali, who also gives permission is given you potential partners who clearly are of the wrong sort and not agreeing with your choices despite them meeting Islamic standards, he looses any right to have a say in marriage matters, then it falls to a uncle or brother and so on until they base their say in terms of faith.

Things clearly wouldn't work if you stayed on in your house, you'll just keep getting pressured until the point of being kicked out. I would be careful with your important documents like passport, bank account, etc suggest keeping it away from the house.

Latest

Trending

Trending