The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bluth.
Well tonight I've had some Long Island Ice Tea, Raspberry Daiquiri and Baileys....so I drank for a few of you :tongue:

If I could remember what I had drink... It would be good.

Original post by IlexAquifolium
I would like pub.

Aaaaan when you in Putney and we drink wine?
Reply 21
Original post by The Lyceum
Sort of, I mean...well...one can say "I'm interested in Archaic Greek Poetry.....Comparative Philology....the application of Anthropology to Greek Religion" and that's three interests. But then you have to get more specific.

Technically I only have three interests, but by the time you narrow it down to texts/authors/genres, eras, methodology etc it gets a bit much. I'm simultaneously very interdisciplinary but also very narrow. So narrow in fact I pioneered the term "tragedy****er" and even got an Oxford don to use it.

OK, in that case just make it something along the lines of 'My main research interests are archaic Greek poetry, comparative philology, and the application of anthropology to Greek religion. Specifically, I am interested in [narrower topic], and I have worked on a, b, and c and presented some amazing conference papers on xyz.'
EDIT: Also, I feel a bit uncomfortable writing in general. Its also one thing to discuss a technical topic e.g how metrical and accentual infelicities in a poem are indicative of borrowing from another, significantly older, poem to actually writing about myself.

Yes, but you're writing about yourself in relation to your research interests, so it's not really that different from writing about technical topics. It's not like they're expecting you to bare your soul to them.
I don't like it. I feel uncomfortable when the spotlight is on me. I mean at a recent conference I spoke at they sent me an e-mail requesting me to send them more details for my introduction/the list of speakers since apparently "the Lyceum is reading Classics at Oxford" was not good enough and in the end I simply answered a few questions and they sorted me out a wonderful introduction. Still, cringeworthy to hear it read out. Unlike, say, the brash American who started his with the phrase "had his intellectual awakening at the age of 6 when first exposed to the Medea". I mean come on! Also, parents, stop reading the Medea to your kids ffs.

:rofl: Though to be fair, there's probably a reason why he chose to use the phrase 'exposed to'...
Original post by ice_cube

Aaaaan when you in Putney and we drink wine?

Soon I hope - I need moar wine!

Original post by hobnob

:rofl: Though to be fair, there's probably a reason why he chose to use the phrase 'exposed to'...

Ha. This is quite strange though, I don't think I've ever been introduced at a conference. Maybe social scientists can't be bothered. We tend to just put name/affiliation/email in the first slide and it goes in the programme also - other than that I've never had any 'ilex first realised she liked politics when she sent John Major a letter about the pressing threat of water pollution at the age of 5, complete with illustrations of taps and a mucky pond'-style introductions.
Reply 23
Ha. This is quite strange though, I don't think I've ever been introduced at a conference. Maybe social scientists can't be bothered. We tend to just put name/affiliation/email in the first slide and it goes in the programme also - other than that I've never had any 'ilex first realised she liked politics when she sent John Major a letter about the pressing threat of water pollution at the age of 5, complete with illustrations of taps and a mucky pond'-style introductions.

You should use that for your first slide from now on and see whether anyone notices.:biggrin:
:rofl:Well as I said, that was the one American guy, which was hilariously uncomfortable. His paper was also unbelievably ****, which is the reason why...despite being asked repeatedly I refused to give any feedback even on the anonymous forms or ask questions because nothing I could have said would have been nice. He was one of the few people in my area. God he was terrible. I mean...akin to some of the stuff my tutors tell me some undergrads put in their tute essays. BUT AT A CONFERENCE. Its like...I don't know, going to the toilet in public.

But yes, generally its just a case of X was/is educated at Y and Z, his research areas are A, B and C and he is currently working on H under J and K. Even so, I feel that's a bit much.

Also, I wish I had an "intellectual awakening" after being "exposed" to something :rofl:.
Greetings all. Currently chilling out after a flurry of very social days, and trying to ignore the fact that Mr Craggy is dragging me to Canterbury tomorrow, because his family will be mortally offended if I don't show :colonhash: At least we'll come back on the 23rd, so Christmas will be quiet
Guys, when listing research interests how do I refrain from constantly being like:

I AM INTERESTED IN/FASCINATED BY/X INTERESTS ME/I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN Over and over again, like a monkey who has been taught to sign far too few signs with which to convey his complex yet never the less, simian, ideas.

I think the best way is to back up each claim with an example. So something like 'I pursued my love for x by doing blah research project'. It sounds a lot less empty when you've got the choices and actions to demonstrate it.
Mind you, the best proof of my love of Bourdieu's theory is the fact that my best woman made me teach Bourdieu to the bar man at my hen party :rofl: And that doesn't really work in applications, even though I think it would be a knock down.
Original post by scarlet ibis
Just wasted 20 minutes reading this (about worst Christmas presents) and the ensuing comments. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/dec/19/worst-ever-christmas-presentSome are quite hilarious. Of course, it is the thought that counts but some people give the most awful presents! Like the time FTB's dad gave FTB's brother an iPod while FTB got a packet of pea seeds (PeaPod, geddit? :rolleyes:) Guess which son is the favourite!
Oh Gods,
Two years ago my (now) mother in law gave me a shoulder bag which entirely matches the description in the article of the fuzzy pink knitted imitation Queen's hat... but in bag form :afraid:
I can tell there are already some horrors under our tree. A relative of Dave's drove by and dumped off a load of presents, but one or two of them are definitely just wrapped up tolietries :lolwut:
I really don't get that. If you're so stingy or out of ideas that you want to buy someone deoderant or body wash, I think you should just not bother.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax

I think the best way is to back up each claim with an example. So something like 'I pursued my love for x by doing blah research project'. It sounds a lot less empty when you've got the choices and actions to demonstrate it.
Mind you, the best proof of my love of Bourdieu's theory is the fact that my best woman made me teach Bourdieu to the bar man at my hen party :rofl: And that doesn't really work in applications, even though I think it would be a knock down.

Ahaha, brilliant! Those moments are invariably the best, would have loved to see that.

Problem is right now I'm suffering from application apathy. I'm THIS close to just sending in a few paragraphs of Latin and telling them to take me or leave me. Would not be wise.
Reply 27
Soon I hope - I need moar wine!

I have no recollection of typing that question. Oh dear. Are you down at all over Christmas?

I don't like it. I feel uncomfortable when the spotlight is on me. I mean at a recent conference I spoke at they sent me an e-mail requesting me to send them more details for my introduction/the list of speakers since apparently "the Lyceum is reading Classics at Oxford" was not good enough and in the end I simply answered a few questions and they sorted me out a wonderful introduction. Still, cringeworthy to hear it read out. Unlike, say, the brash American who started his with the phrase "had his intellectual awakening at the age of 6 when first exposed to the Medea". I mean come on! Also, parents, stop reading the Medea to your kids ffs.

Maybe the mother was trying to make a point.
Original post by Aeschylus
Maybe the mother was trying to make a point.

I can see that actually, and how all sorts of variations from the play can work to scare children. Eat your vegetables or I'll boil you etc.

Gyah I re-read it the other day, it has some pretty Greek but its so, damn, ****. Its lucky it even got 3rd place, I wonder how crap the other plays were. I would personally bitch slap Euripides for that play. Actually in general, I really dislike him.
I have no recollection of typing that question. Oh dear. Are you down at all over Christmas?

Yes, but not sure how long for - hoping to pop down in January...
Reply 31
Yes, but not sure how long for - hoping to pop down in January...

Arse, I'm in the US for most of January :frown:
Arse, I'm in the US for most of January :frown:

I will try time a trip when you're back then :smile:
Reply 33
I will try time a trip when you're back then :smile:

I'm away 10-27, I think.

Incidentally, anyone know anyone in New Orleans?
ZOMG, I GOT OFFERED A PAID INTERNSHIP TO START IN JANUARYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :woo: :eek: :crazy: :awesome: :dance:

It's in music education, which will prepare me quite well for this SOAS-IoE thing :colone:

I'm so happy right now. This has been such a good week for me :colondollar: :colondollar: :colondollar:
Reply 35
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
ZOMG, I GOT OFFERED A PAID INTERNSHIP TO START IN JANUARYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :woo: :eek: :crazy: :awesome: :dance:

It's in music education, which will prepare me quite well for this SOAS-IoE thing :colone:

I'm so happy right now. This has been such a good week for me :colondollar: :colondollar: :colondollar:

Yeaaaaaaaaaah! Congratulations!
Reply 36

SO happy for you- fantastic news! :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37

Awesome!!! PRSOM!
Thanks everyone. I'm still in shock :o:

Eek!! So, so happy for you :smile: What fantastic news!

p.s. Loving the new thread name :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest

Trending

Trending