The Student Room Group

What really is a ''Crash Course'' and can you actually pas your test from this alone?

I passed my driving test a while back and saw it as something to be proud of and as something not everybody can do, It took about a year all in all including all lessons and two theory tests at a cost of approximately £1300.

These days I hear of people saying things like '' I've never driven a car before but I'm going to pass my test in a week on a crash course''

A friend of mine is soon to be booking himself onto a crash course and so I asked him about the process and was told that

. You don't take to the open roads on the CC test and that is done on the CC's own grounds?
If that is the case then how could someone pass a test without knowing how to deal with other road users, pedestrians e.t.c,??

. You don't need to sit a theory test
Everybody needs to know the rules of the road and what traffic signs mean, no??

. You are guaranteed a pas no matter what
I am at a loss to how this could be true, what if you did terribly?

It just sounds so easy and effortless to pass a driving test through a crash course unless I am missing something or have been misinformed??

I used to be proud of having a license but now if this is true about a crash course than that means a 6 yr old child could pass with flying colors and something I can no longer be proud of?
Original post by Golden Boy !
I passed my driving test a while back and saw it as something to be proud of and as something not everybody can do, It took about a year all in all including all lessons and two theory tests at a cost of approximately £1300.

These days I hear of people saying things like '' I've never driven a car before but I'm going to pass my test in a week on a crash course''

A friend of mine is soon to be booking himself onto a crash course and so I asked him about the process and was told that

. You don't take to the open roads on the CC test and that is done on the CC's own grounds?
If that is the case then how could someone pass a test without knowing how to deal with other road users, pedestrians e.t.c,??

. You don't need to sit a theory test
Everybody needs to know the rules of the road and what traffic signs mean, no??

. You are guaranteed a pas no matter what
I am at a loss to how this could be true, what if you did terribly?

It just sounds so easy and effortless to pass a driving test through a crash course unless I am missing something or have been misinformed??

I used to be proud of having a license but now if this is true about a crash course than that means a 6 yr old child could pass with flying colors and something I can no longer be proud of?

You've been pretty misinformed there. Crash courses are lessons which are taken in a short space of time (usually a week or so) in order for people to pass their test quickly.
Reply 2
Original post by alexxturnerr
You've been pretty misinformed there. Crash courses are lessons which are taken in a short space of time (usually a week or so) in order for people to pass their test quickly.

Okay thank you, can you give me an idea of the process please matey?
Okay thank you, can you give me an idea of the process please matey?

In a typical situation for a beginner you do 30 hours in 5 days (depending on experience).

The company you do your course with will check the DVLA test websites many many times a day to get you the earliest test date possible and book it for you.

The guaranteed pass thing is just to say that they'll work with you until you get a pass, it's not first time pass or anything like that.

These courses are typically the reason for the decline in first time passes (especially in my area anyway there's one company in particular).
Reply 4
In a typical situation for a beginner you do 30 hours in 5 days (depending on experience).

The company you do your course with will check the DVLA test websites many many times a day to get you the earliest test date possible and book it for you.

The guaranteed pass thing is just to say that they'll work with you until you get a pass, it's not first time pass or anything like that.

These courses are typically the reason for the decline in first time passes (especially in my area anyway there's one company in particular).

Do you have any evidence for this?
Reply 5

answered some of my questions, thank you matey
Original post by Incorrect.
Do you have any evidence for this?

There was something written before about it, i'll google it and see if I can find it again.

The companies usually brag like 98% pass rate or something similar but many of them are second/third time passes.
answered some of my questions, thank you matey

Is there anything else you need to know?
Reply 8
Is there anything else you need to know?

Meh, not for the time being, thank you
Reply 9
Crash/intensive courses are simply lots of driving lessons done in a short time such as a week or two with a test booked for the last day of the course

Even if the test is failed it stands the learner in good stead for passing the next time after taking a few more lesson in MOST cases

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending