The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

doing back today, rows

i await the abuse lol
Original post by Implication
but full ROM is arbitrary

Yes but it is limiting muscular contraction. Does anyone who is brushing ROM under the carpet understand how each muscle fibre is connected to the skeletal stucture?

If you did, then you would realise why full ROM is superior to **** partial reps.
Original post by monsterzero
doing back today, rows

i await the abuse lol

Video :wink:
Original post by Dazzzzzla
Video :wink:

ofc lol

never seen myself row so will be interesting
Haha I care if my first rep is **** and my last is just as bad.

You should probably care too. Haha

Original post by Implication
Link?

Can't find it, perhaps it wasn't his channel, but I thought it was.

Basically the conclusion was that you still work the entire muscle regardless of rom, because it is contracting. As long as you are consistent then you are not cheating yourself = progressive overload = gains. Obviously if poor form is dangerous that's bad, but basically 'cheat reps' aren't inherently bad because you're not actually cheating if every rep is the same.

This is in relation to rows/curls etc. For squats it's different because the bottom part works the glutes and hamstrings whereas the top part doesn't, so half reps are worse.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by monsterzero
ofc lol

never seen myself row so will be interesting

Well simply moving your arm more than 5cm will be sure to suffice... according to people on here.
Well simply moving your arm more than 5cm will be sure to suffice... according to people on here.

Do you have a job?
Original post by Angry cucumber
Do you have a job?

I have a baby.
I have a job.
I have a girlfriend.
I have my own flat.
I own a car.
I go to uni.
I have FULL ROM.

YOU BAE?
I have a baby.
I have a job.
I have a girlfriend.
I have my own flat.
I own a car.
I go to uni.
I have FULL ROM.

YOU BAE?

You post on my blog and other fitness threads an awful lot for a person with such commitments
Original post by illusionz
Can't find it, perhaps it wasn't his channel, but I thought it was.

Basically the conclusion was that you still work the entire muscle regardless of rom, because it is contracting. As long as you are consistent then you are not cheating yourself = progressive overload = gains. Obviously if poor form is dangerous that's bad, but basically 'cheat reps' aren't inherently bad because you're not actually cheating if every rep is the same.

This is in relation to rows/curls etc. For squats it's different because the bottom part works the glutes and hamstrings whereas the top part doesn't, so half reps are worse.

Everyone do quater rep rows for optimal gains. Every also do quarter rep pull ups for optimal gains. Everyone do quarter rep everything bar squats. Haha.
You know when you do a full rep, you are also working other muscle groups.

Ie ROWS work back predominately (all parts) and biceps... whilst using your hamsting and your core to stabilize ones position. Do quarter reps for a lazy workout. Go ahead. You are only folling yourselves.

You can not say do full rep squats whilst neglecting other muscles. It is absurd.
Original post by tehforum
So what is full ROM?

Eye level to lockout, or clavicles to lockout (which is what I do atm).

I imagine with eye level I'd be able to add on a decent amount straight away, but at the expense of what gains?

I would say full ROM is whatever position it's in when you naturally take it out of the rack, to overhead. So for me I float the bar a bit below my chin, and call it full ROM. In terms of whether you would lose out by doing partials, it depends on your goals.
You post on my blog and other fitness threads an awful lot for a person with such commitments

Someone stalking me? Hehe do not worry baby cakes. I like that :wink:

Well considering I am at Uni from 9 - 10:30am and 3 - 4:30pm - it really isn't hard.

I also go to the gym and spend an hour there as I do full ROM lolol
Original post by SmashConcept
I would say full ROM is whatever position it's in when you naturally take it out of the rack, to overhead. So for me I float the bar a bit below my chin, and call it full ROM. In terms of whether you would lose out by doing partials, it depends on your goals.

Full ROM is from resting position before eccentric contraction - Overhead press should rest on chest, pressing to full range above head without locking out. A resting position is not a half rep as your fibres are still firing if you are resting during, what is, an eccentric contraction. This is providing you are actually breathing right, too. I.e breathing out on exertion. It you are mid rep and you have stopped for that breath - you could destabilize your posture during a lift - which is deemed unsafe.

Ie. You would not breathe on a chest press (and by breathing, I mean getting fresh oxygen to where it needs to go) if you have slighly bent arms as you eccentrically move the weight towards your chest. You would not, and should not rest nor breathe like so. Lifiting has different mechanisms. Breathing is one of them. This can not be achieved with half reps. No matter what your idol,s Ronnie, said.

Another note - none of you are like Ronnie.
Absolutely no idea what you're on about but OK.
Someone stalking me? Hehe do not worry baby cakes. I like that :wink:

Well considering I am at Uni from 9 - 10:30am and 3 - 4:30pm - it really isn't hard.

I also go to the gym and spend an hour there as I do full ROM lolol

I'm the support team member for this entire subforum - it's my job to read all the threads.

So you're a part time student, part time dad, part time PT, part time ROM expert?
You can't breathe doing partials? lol
EDIT* Wrong thread lol, got too busy enjoying/reading on the comments
(edited 8 years ago)
You can't breathe doing partials? lol

Basically full ROM is essential but locking out is bad. I'll take some drugs later and interpret all these posts for you if you like.
I'm the support team member for this entire subforum - it's my job to read all the threads.

So you're a part time student, part time dad, part time PT, part time ROM expert?

Full time errthang babycakes
Full ROM is from resting position before eccentric contraction - Overhead press should rest on chest, pressing to full range above head without locking out.

Quick Reply

Latest